• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Unveils PlayStation 5 Pro Console

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:56 pm Reply with quote
-Microsoft: Sank itself into a $70 billion hole that it has no chance of crawling out of and now has to sell its first party titles on competing platforms.
-Sony: Has now made the Pro version of its console (with no disc drive) so expensive you could buy a Switch OLED and about six games for it
-Nintendo: All they need is a reasonable price point and they pretty much own the generation.

Seriously, like I was talking to some other people on social media, it's like a reverse 1994 where Nintendo holds all the cards and basically has to do absolutely nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch 2 reveal is just Shiggy saying "$399", putting on shades, and then the video ending right there. Freaking hell, Sony
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, $700 is just utterly insane. Doubly so for a console with so few exclusive games; tripy so for a console with so few exclusive games that are any good.

Anyone who's willing to put down that much money to play games would be so much better served just building a mid-range PC, and then never have to worry about losing their entire game library the next time the console generation ticks up.

As for the Switch 2... I dunno that I'd be so quick to declare Nintendo the winner-by-default just yet: they have a really bad habit of sitting on their laurels and getting blindsided after each successful platform gen. -- it's not that hard to imagine the Switch 2 going the way of the WiiU or the Gamecube.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Buy the Pro and get....uhh...get....umm....hmmm....get....the same VERY FEW exclusives you can still buy for the original PS5.
fausti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Why are so many people being so dramatic about this? Don't like it or want it? Ignore it. Sony will then realize its mistake to put out technology at a time when price and advances in gaming aren't in sync with consumer needs for higher-end tech. For 99% of consumers, the vanilla PS5 is more than enough and will ignore/walk past this "Pro". Consumers are tired of some mid-generation "upgrade". Show a PS6 or go home. Or better yet, just keep supporting the vanilla PS5 with good games. Astro Bot certainly shows what the system is capable of doing so keep doing it.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Yeah, $700 is just utterly insane. Doubly so for a console with so few exclusive games; tripy so for a console with so few exclusive games that are any good.

Anyone who's willing to put down that much money to play games would be so much better served just building a mid-range PC, and then never have to worry about losing their entire game library the next time the console generation ticks up.

As for the Switch 2... I dunno that I'd be so quick to declare Nintendo the winner-by-default just yet: they have a really bad habit of sitting on their laurels and getting blindsided after each successful platform gen. -- it's not that hard to imagine the Switch 2 going the way of the WiiU or the Gamecube.

Nintendo doesnt even partake in the console wars anymore...they thrive doing thier own thing and its proven to work.

Are there many reasons Nintendo is bad? sure, but they also make solid consoles & games. (most of which hold up even after 20+yrs)

Anyone buying a $700 console is crazy. (over 800 if u want diskdrive after taxes)
Sony has so little reason to buy their console. Mere handful of games.
MS even less, but then they have gamepass & make msot stuff also on pc (which is their primary market to begin with)

I see this price as a way to make back some of Concord flop $.
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Pay us $810 with disc drive and stand before tax so these PS4 games can have background elements look slightly sharper.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:36 pm Reply with quote
The “Pro” is short for professional greed.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:

Nintendo doesnt even partake in the console wars anymore...they thrive doing thier own thing and its proven to work.

Are there many reasons Nintendo is bad? sure, but they also make solid consoles & games. (most of which hold up even after 20+yrs)

Anyone buying a $700 console is crazy. (over 800 if u want diskdrive after taxes)
Sony has so little reason to buy their console. Mere handful of games.
MS even less, but then they have gamepass & make msot stuff also on pc (which is their primary market to begin with)

I see this price as a way to make back some of Concord flop $.

Nintendo has been the market leader for a few years now, it's difficult to partake in the "console war" when you already won it and have just been racking up more trophies in the meantime. Something could happen, but I'm having a tough time seeing Nintendo not just curbstomping the other two by doing next to nothing.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Sony... The least you could've done, THE VERY LEAST, is price this the same as the OG PS5s and make the OG PS5s cheaper. ESPECIALLY since this is DIGITAL ONLY with an EXTRA cost for the optional disc drive, which, as someone who prefers physical media, is something I'd want. WHY would I pay more money, for LESS? At least price this at $599, as a reference to the original price of the PS3, "599 US Dollars".

Sony, I promise you, we don't want this thing as much as you think we do. And this is coming from a proud owner of nearly every PlayStation system. Neutral
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I do agree with the majority of people that the PS5 Pro is disappointing, with the ridiculous price and the disc drive being sold separately (I mean seriously what the hell Sony, and I'm a physical media person), I'm not sure if I want to buy this particular upgrade. I'm not sure if the improvement for the PS5 are any significant like compared to the PS4 Pro (which I owned by the way).

And to end this post: Let's say I was very disappointed with Sony for this revealing, and I'm not impressed by this revealing/announcement. Again, I'm not sure if I want to buy this PS5 model.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to defend Sony or anything but people misunderstand the point of this console

It's a luxury. Luxuries are expensive. Don't want to pay $700 for marginal benefits? Stick with or get the base model, it's still there and it will continue to play every PS5 game released. This isn't a New 3DS situation where you're locked out of some games.

You can't really trash a company for putting out a product targeting wealthy enthusiasts for profit. It's not for everyone and that's okay, not everything needs to be.

It's the same thing with high end PC hardware. I don't complain that 4090s are out of my price range. I get the xx60 and move on with my life because it's good enough just like the majority of Steam users do.
Amritzer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, for all the dislikes, and negative reactions on the Internet, I don't think Sony will have any problems selling PS5 Pro, especially once GTA6 comes.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Holy cow! I was hoping the PS5 Pro was going to be $600, but it's even more expensive than the PS3, though I now we have to take into account infation and other factors. Seeing how the exchange rates work in my country, the PS5 should cost ARS 690,900, but due to import taxes and other factors it wouldn't surprise me if costs ARS 2,000,000 or more.
Though to be fair, this console is being targeted mainly at enthusiasts, however, I don't think that is a considerable huge audience, it's being almost four years but it feels like this gen hasn't showed a considerable improvement over the last one, aside from some graphical advancements and the like, but PlayStation and Xbox feel like more of the same

AiddonValentine wrote:
Nintendo has been the market leader for a few years now, it's difficult to partake in the "console war" when you already won it and have just been racking up more trophies in the meantime. Something could happen, but I'm having a tough time seeing Nintendo not just curbstomping the other two by doing next to nothing.

I wouldn't say Nintendo is the market leader per se, in Japan Nintendo has complete dominance, with over 33.697.929 million Switch consoles sold, while the PS5 has only sold 6.017.484, and the PS4 9.504.101. It could be argued that the PS brand and its games dont appeal to the Japanese audience anymore, that most people pefer portable experiences, changing demographics could be another factor, but plenty of Nintendo games have sold better than ever before on the Switch in Japan. It is said that Nintendo does not directly compete with PlayStation or Microsoft, but when Microsoft had to confirm that the Call of Duty games would have to come on Nitendo consoles for at least ten years after the Activision buyout, I remember Sony was arguing that Nintendo consoles weren't suited for CoD games, and that felt like Sony knew that if games like CoD were availale on Nintendo platforms, it could take away some of their market. If the Switch's successor is powerful enough to run games that are similar to those from the PS4/Xbox One generation, and if developers cannot keep with the costs of developing games for the PS5 or PS6, maybe the Switch 2 could make even more of an impact that the original
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I’ll be back for the PS6. Maybe. Because holy hell that is a ridiculous price for a console that doesn’t even have a disc drive.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:08 pm Reply with quote
$700 for zero games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4