• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross: Do You Remember Love? Film Gets English-Subtitled 4K Remastered Blu-ray in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Harmony Gold could never Anime hyper
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:26 am Reply with quote
HM... Do I really need another copy of DYRL? ...Very possibly.

Though, honestly, I can't really tell the difference between anime at 4K native and regular old 1080p upscaled to 2160p on my TV.

Also... the wording here is a bit confusing due to the double negatives:

Quote:
Unlike the 2012 Hybrid Pack Blu-ray Disc release of the film, the 2016 Bandai Visual Blu-ray Disc release did not include changes to the main footage of the 1984 film version.

For clarity, there's the 1984 Theatrical Cut, the 2012 Director's Cut, and the 2016 Theatrical Remaster, correct? I'd suggest revising that sentence to, "The 2016 Bandai Visual Blu-Ray Disc release did not include the revised cut of the film from the 2012 Hybrid Pack Blu-Rat Disc release."
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:48 am Reply with quote
Holy crap the announcements about revivals of classic titles and legendary artists keep on rolling out (Bubblegum Crisis, Ranma 1/2, Fushigi Yuugi, now Macross) what is up with Japan these days???
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:38 am Reply with quote
I forget, does this fall under the stuff that cannot come to the USA? I know the TV series is forbidden (in non-Robotech form), but is the movie (Flashback 2012 is ok)?
YackDe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:27 am Reply with quote
sdsichero wrote:
I forget, does this fall under the stuff that cannot come to the USA? I know the TV series is forbidden (in non-Robotech form), but is the movie (Flashback 2012 is ok)?

Harmony Gold also has the rights to DYRL. The only thing of OG Macross they don't have is Flashback 2012, which was why it actually got a release when all the agreement news started.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:42 am Reply with quote
sdsichero wrote:
I believe since it's officially a Japanese release and it's the Macross film not the Robotech series (even though they are both IPs owned by BIGWEST) there's nothing about it that prevents Americans from purchasing it and using the subtitles that are included. So that must mean Bandai Namco is the parent company of Bigwest. The V-Storage link tells you how to purchase it. Wow not a bad price only 14,300 yen for the premium edition.

Last edited by ChirashiD on Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:43 am Reply with quote
Yack: Again, Animeigo has said that no one knows who has the rights to DYRL.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:43 am Reply with quote
Everything that could possibly bother Harmony Gold is a very good news. Especially when they're claiming bullshit (no, they don't own the movie rights).

Now if they could clarify what's going on with the Disney+ release. For the US but also for the non English speaking territories like Europe, Latam, and any country where Disney+ is established. Since the English translations probably come from Creative Sphere directly, I have the bad feeling that they won't bother translating the Macross series and movies into several languages. Hope I'm wrong.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
so,what's exactly the difference between the editions?I didn't even know there were any other differences besides the censorship in some violent scenes(that they later removed,anyway)
Gilarack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:20 am Reply with quote
SuiSeiKen wrote:
Everything that could possibly bother Harmony Gold is a very good news.

THIS
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:29 pm Reply with quote
It's like they said in Chinatown "Either you bring Do You Remember Love? to the West, or you bring the West to the Do You Remember Love?".
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:48 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Wasn't the DYRLG distributed in the United States, albeit in a censored form and with an English dub done in Hong Kong? It's not an ideal version to watch the movie and I imagine it's not longer available, but it's interesting that the film was available in the U.S. Coincidentally, I think that Hong Kong dub was used as a basis for a Latin American Spanish dub release, I managed to find a copy of that version and I was kind of amazed that the dub was composed of well-known VAs and the fact that Roy Focker was dubbed by the same actor who voiced him in Robotech. There was also a second LA Spanish dub done for the TV channel Locomotion in the late 1990s, that's the one most people in Latin America are familar with. I don't know how Locomotion managed to dub DYRL, but back then they used to air Robotech as well, so perhaps they wanted another Macross-related anime.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:11 pm Reply with quote
[quote="ChirashiD"]
sdsichero wrote:
So that must mean Bandai Namco is the parent company of Bigwest.

It isn't. Big West is an independent advertising firm that is both the sponsor and copyright holder of Macross. Bandai Namco and several other independent companies are granted licenses from Big West to produce Macross products. It's the reason why three different model companies, Bandai, Hasegawa, and Wave can all make Macross model kits.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Wasn't the DYRLG distributed in the United States, albeit in a censored form and with an English dub done in Hong Kong? It's not an ideal version to watch the movie and I imagine it's not longer available, but it's interesting that the film was available in the U.S.

That's essentially the entire conundrum behind DYRL's unknown licensing status outside of Japan. Essentially, neither Big West nor Harmony Gold produced that English dub, it was seemingly produced by Toho, and seemingly Toho was the company that licensed DYRL out for those releases outside of Japan, so it's entirely possible that Toho may still have some international rights to the film. However, Toho has no involvement in the deal between Big West & Harmony Gold when it comes to the Macross franchise outside of Japan.

That's why DYRL hasn't been confirmed for anything outside of Japan yet, even with the current agreement between Big West & Harmony Gold, as no one's 100% sure how the international rights to it are exactly defined. BW can re-release the film in Japan as much as it wants, and even include the English dub, but the international rights are another thing entirely.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:38 pm Reply with quote
sdsichero wrote:
The TV series isn't forbidden from being released. The only thing is the TV series isn't allowed to be released by other companies because Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko own it. But there's nothing stopping Harmony Gold or Sony from putting out SDF Macross other than themselves which they actually have several times before. Like Amazon Prime and Tubi had SDF Macross streaming several years before this new deal. And it's not Macross but Crunchyroll did add Mospeada subbed to streaming recently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2