• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim Film Reveals New Trailers, International Openin

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Finally, some good looking LotR content.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:26 pm Reply with quote
This looks amazing. Can't wait to watch it in the theathers. Also I'm truly happy to see Kamiyama going back to 2D animation after the hideous fiasco that was GITS SAC 2045. I really hope he stays away from ugly full CGI stuff from now on because the dude can make truly beautiful handrawn animation if he wants to (Serei no Moribito, the first 2 GIGs of GITS...)
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not very familiar with the Lord of the Rings/Middle Earth series, but the trailer looks kind of cool, the animation looks nice, there's a good use of light, the CGI is well implemented for the most part, but honestly I don't know how well this movie will perform in theaters, thoug being an anime films the budget perhaps isn't that huge, I mean, I hope the movie will be good, but while anime has become much more mainstream, most of the anime movies that tend to be successes outside of Japan are those based on popular manga that already have popular anime adaptations, like Dragon Ball, Demon Slayer or Haikyū!, or Hayao Miyazaki films. I know some original anime movies have done well in outside of Japan, like Promare, but they tend to have very limited showings. Not to mention that this movie is some sort of an ashcan copy, by that I mean that Warner greenlighted it in order to retain the cinematic film rights for the LOTR franchise, apparently Amazon has the TV rights now.
Still, it's cool to see a serious fantasy anime film on the big screen..
48 Rices

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:32 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Looks good. Now we need some elves with big Lodoss ears
NieR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing this film in theaters! I like that besides Brian Cox, this movie doesn't really have any big name celebrities in the English casting. Nice to see a new 2D animated film in theaters that isn't just for the opening of a live-action film or getting a limited theatrical release in major cities only.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:10 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Except that goes against how Tolkien described elves.

Article wrote:
Héra, the daughter of Helm

Ugh. If Tolkien had considered her important enough to be named, she would have had an Old English woman's name and not that of a Greek goddess. The Oxford Professor never chose or invented names causally, in fact often he would invent the name first and use it to inspire the story.

48 Rices wrote:

Any chance we will get a Japanese voice version with English subtitles?
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:27 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of LotR (and anime) I'll be giving this a watch. It looks like they're going for as close an aesthetic as possible to Peter Jackson's films. Which I guess is fine (it all looks very nice), but also feels a bit unimaginative.

My main concern though is that this will end up feeling too similar to the Two Towers movie, which was also largely about a big battle at the Helm's Deep fortress. The lead heroine for this in turn seems very similar to Eowyn... I just think it'll be a tall order for them to give this new character as strong of an arc as her. (I distinctly remember audiences always giving an applause mid-film at a big moment for Eowyn in the Return of the King movie! I don't think I've ever witnessed that in theaters once since.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Extremely excited for this. Always love watching anime on a big screen and I've been a fan of LotR since the 1970s.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:54 pm Reply with quote
The live-action footage at the beginning was kind of a bit much but visually it looks pretty good...3D CG environmental stuff and some stiff fight animation aside.

"I will not marry you...but I will dress as a bride for our final battle against each other."
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 12:23 am Reply with quote
The lore nerd in me raised an eyebrow or two (Mumakil? Really?), but overall I'm cautiously optimistic. If nothing else Kenji Kamiyama knows how to direct great action scenes.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 12:32 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Anime elves must have big ears. I don't make the rules, they are required by law.
GoGoGoFalco

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 4:25 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

The movie is based on the movies which already goes against a lot of Tolkien stuff especially the later films and TV shows. This movie does look like the most accurate thing in a long while though even if it's not actually anime and only being animated by a Japanese studio and written by Americans.
Lightice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Piglet the Grate"]
AiddonValentine wrote:

Ugh. If Tolkien had considered her important enough to be named, she would have had an Old English woman's name and not that of a Greek goddess. The Oxford Professor never chose or invented names causally, in fact often he would invent the name first and use it to inspire the story.

It's not a Greek goddess name, but an Anglo-Saxon woman's name. The pronunciation is quite different. The writers of the film commented on coming up with it, noting that there's very few female Saxon names that start with H, and most are very difficult for a modern English speaker to pronounce And since Helm's sons and nephew all have names that start with H, his daughter needs to fit the theme. Héra was the only one that worked out, in the end.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:53 am Reply with quote
Damn. That trailer was great. TsudaKen being part of the cast tells me to watch in JP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2