• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Oops, AI Named This Girl 'Latina' in Kiraku Kishima's New Novel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Guess this is the future of research for many people: ask A.I. all your questions. It would have been just as quick and easy for this author to simply search a baby name website for common names from any country of the world. Or even ask for help on a forum—surely there are people from South America (or even just people who have visited South America) who would be happy to give a few name suggestions. I'll have to assume this author didn't do any research on the experiences of foreign students in Japan at all.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm just sitting here remembering the adopted daughter character in the anime, "If it's for my daughter, I'd even defeat a demon lord" is also name "Latina" (ラティナ, Ratina). xD
juaifan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:00 pm Reply with quote
An example of why AI in anime and manga is a good thing: free marketing and now everyone knows about this series after I saw it trending. I hope it gets an anime one day.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:22 pm Reply with quote
We live in a medium where writers name their characters after shower products, food, their job and even their special abilities.

Calling a latina american girl "Latina" sounds like the most natural thing in the universe.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:27 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
An example of why AI in anime and manga is a good thing: free marketing and now everyone knows about this series after I saw it trending. I hope it gets an anime one day.

I wouldn't say that looking like a dumbass who doesn't even do the minimal amount of research before writing a story, and with no regard for the foreign culture that's purported to be the focus of your work, makes for amazing publicity. Not to mention how it throws doubt on whether the author is even writing the work himself or simply using the slop machine to crank it out. I haven't heard of many people actually interested in this new series, most reactions are mocking the author or pointing out how this case is further evidence of what we all know about AI being useless garbage that's mainly used by losers with no real creativity or artistic impetus, and peddled by a handful of techbros wanting to get rich quick

the article wrote:
Surprisingly, though, “Latina” is also the name of an Italian city and province.

Eh, I wouldn't say it's surprising? The concept of "Latin America" refers to American nations that speak languages that derived from latin (as in, the latin language spoken in Ancient Rome). There's nothing odd or unexpected about places in Italy being named after the word Latin /shrug
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:

I just rolled my eyes so hard.

You didn’t need AI for that, lol. And even if you did, it’s nothing to brag about.

I hope you’re being sarcastic.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
Guess this is the future of research for many people: ask A.I. all your questions.

Can definitely agree with that. I work in a public library, and it's gotten incredibly common for certain age groups to not know how to research actual information. I've heard variations of "I asked Chat GPT and couldn't find anything" an uncomfortably large amount of times.
The_Outsider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:48 pm Reply with quote
The joke just writes itself, "it's a dark-brown girl from the amazon region and she speaks portuguese", there's literally only one country in all of the americas where portuguese is an official language (the ONLY official language), and this numbskull couldn't even be bothered to research that before outsourcing what was left of his brainpower to an LLM, had he done at least that much due dilligence he'd at least have narrowed the name list to a single country, and he'd get much more accurate results, but who needs to think in 2024 anyway?

Edit: My god I just reread his tweet, he said she isn't just from the amazon, she's supposed to be indigenous as well?! Ffs actually research the culture you're gonna portray or stay in your lane.

Last edited by The_Outsider on Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Maopuu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
It would have been just as quick and easy for this author to simply search a baby name website for common names from any country of the world.

This is exactly the first thing I thought. I understand that when the times change, so do the people and their go-to's for mundane tasks, but damn, out-of-context AI use is always going to give back something highly inaccurate, or funny at the very least. People should learn that about the tech if they aren't willing to put in more work. At least he was being honest and humble about it...
Rodem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Other people pointed out that the protagonist’s name is the exact same as the protagonist of “school days,” which has spawned wondering if the author is using so called “ai” for more than he’s stating. Oh well, the japanese comics/light novel industry is so over-saturated with this kinda low effort horny bait that itll probably be forgotten in due time. Still an incredibly lame move on his part.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 8:49 pm Reply with quote
If you're lazy enough to be using AI then I have a hard time believing you care enough to put any real effort into your writing.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
If you're lazy enough to be using AI then I have a hard time believing you care enough to put any real effort into your writing.

I don't think anyone is operating under the assumption that this novel had serious effort put into writing it, AI or otherwise.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Cho_Desu wrote:
Guess this is the future of research for many people: ask A.I. all your questions.

Can definitely agree with that. I work in a public library, and it's gotten incredibly common for certain age groups to not know how to research actual information. I've heard variations of "I asked Chat GPT and couldn't find anything" an uncomfortably large amount of times.

I genuinely could not believe my eyes when I started seeing Google have that annoying little AI summary of “facts” pop up for every search you do. Some of it’s straight up wrong, and some of it contradicts itself in its own paragraph!!! Give me back Ask Jeeves, Google!

EDIT: Also, I just had a wild flashback to my middle school days where we were actually taught how to research things using an encyclopedia along with websites, and I recall thinking to myself that it was a silly class, because who *wouldn’t* know how to research stuff? …I’m only in my thirties. How did this happen so quickly???
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:55 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
...EDIT: Also, I just had a wild flashback to my middle school days where we were actually taught how to research things using an encyclopedia along with websites, and I recall thinking to myself that it was a silly class, because who *wouldn’t* know how to research stuff? …I’m only in my thirties. How did this happen so quickly???
That it has once the tool was available and the mangaka of this article used it as he did testify to a fundamental aspect of human nature "laziness" Confused What leaves me incredulous is that he resorted to an AI rather than do an internet search, which is incredibly easy. Someone suggested searching regional baby names, but that requires putting in the effort of thought...
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:58 am Reply with quote
I could moan endlessly about this like but is there really any point? We've had 20+ years of some of the most pathetic maid, moe & isekai trends to highlight the rise of 'writers' with no life experiences & even less interest in gaining any. They like manga, anime & video-games endlessly churned into a stale slurry, and no amount of nudging from people like Anno or Araki to expand their horizons, or at least approach their interests in a more serious or scholastic way, is going to change that. Well, you know what they say about otaku & self-examination...

My soul died slightly ever since I discovered the first episode of In Another World With My Smart Phone, & numerous of its haphazard ilk, were written on phones, seemingly as an afterthought, & this honestly feels like natural evolution of that mindset. Who cares about putting thought into your work - throw out a bunch of tropes & stick them all together with glue. Or an algorithm. I wouldn't mind so much if they weren't so endlessly popular. For the amount of effort on display with a lot of these titles, you may as well just write your own. At least you'll develop some small semblance of achievement. It's a start of least.

Personally stories like this just make me more appreciative of the folks generally interested in honing their craft & adding a unique perspective, even if the genre in question isn't the most imaginative or respected. There's always folks like Nisioisn & Wataru Watari showing what's capable when you actually care and want to treat the assignment with care and respect. The writing in this very season's Too Many Losing Heroines is highlighting why so much care was put into its production. And while not my thing, even several hard ecchi shows appear to have shown unusual levels of imagination in recent years. I feel there's still hope so long as readers/viewers hold themselves to a higher standard than many of works promoted to them .

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4