• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network's Website Shuts Down, Redirects to Max Streaming Service

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the site is still up the domain just changed, though it's noteworthy this is the international site. They could have just shut down the US one.

https://www.cartoonnetworkhq.com/
Nekbone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:02 pm Reply with quote
End of an era I guess but the last Cartoon Network show I felt was worth watching was Regular Show and I didn't like all the new stuff they had for the past decade. I think even a recent Spongebob episode made fun of Cartoon Network from a clip I saw (not that that show has any room to talk either but it was kinda funny)

The true golden era of Cartoon Network ended a long time ago sadly. Billy and Mandy, Ed, Edd and Eddy, OG Powerpuff Girls, Dexter. Those were great!
James02

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Nekbone wrote:
End of an era I guess but the last Cartoon Network show I felt was worth watching was Regular Show and I didn't like all the new stuff they had for the past decade. I think even a recent Spongebob episode made fun of Cartoon Network from a clip I saw (not that that show has any room to talk either but it was kinda funny)

The true golden era of Cartoon Network ended a long time ago sadly. Billy and Mandy, Ed, Edd and Eddy, OG Powerpuff Girls, Dexter. Those were great!

You didn't watch Samurai Jack?!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:19 pm Reply with quote
At this point I fel like they're just gonna let [as] take over the entire channel.
SleepyBat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:48 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Apparently the site is still up the domain just changed, though it's noteworthy this is the international site. They could have just shut down the US one.

https://www.cartoonnetworkhq.com/

HQ is the website for Cartoon Network Africa. For that matter, there's a number of other international CN websites that have not shut down at this time: https://www.cartoonnetworkeurope.com/ (Portal for European sites)
Nekbone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:59 pm Reply with quote
James02 wrote:
You didn't watch Samurai Jack?!

Oh I watched it. There's just too many old shows to name. Samurai Jack, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, yeah, there's definitely more I'm not naming.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Cartoon Network in over 20 years, I think Codename Kids Next Door was the last new show I saw. But it is still sad to see it go. I remember when my family got the internet, going on the website and playing browser games.
Nigel Planter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Cartoon Network just 24 hours of Teen Titans Go? That was the last thing I ever heard about the network.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Man, what a tragedy. So many great games now scattered to archival sites if lucky.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:34 pm Reply with quote
The day David Zaslav is fired or "left of his own accord" will be one of the happiest firing/whatever excuse days of my life.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Does CN exist anymore? It strange that any brand would axe its own website. I know it is not 2005 anymore, but still most companies wish to maintain its own branding presence online Confused It be line Tesla shuts down and directs everything to X or ElonMuskForPresident.X.em or ANN shutters this website and directs to https://www.kadokawa.co.jp/
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I have been speculating since they shutdown, stopping selling and removed all website information for the adult swim games that things are not looking good for the cable channel or adult swim in particular.

You know, I suspect that if the rich businesses where not propping up economy ratings, the economy would definitely be in recession (contraction). So many common people luxuries are in decline and / or raising prices to target higher end users.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Nigel Planter wrote:
Wasn't Cartoon Network just 24 hours of Teen Titans Go? That was the last thing I ever heard about the network.

Not in the literal sense but there was a time when it was scheduled almost like SpongeBob on Nickelodeon.

ZelosZoidberg wrote:
The day David Zaslav is fired or "left of his own accord" will be one of the happiest firing/whatever excuse days of my life.

To be fair while this is stupid. CN hasn’t exactly been in a consistently strong position these last 17-18 years.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:11 pm Reply with quote
The Boomerang cable channel is slated to stay open as of right now. Only the separate streaming service is closing.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Nigel Planter wrote:

Not in the literal sense but there was a time when it was scheduled almost like SpongeBob on Nickelodeon.

ZelosZoidberg wrote:

To be fair while this is stupid. CN hasn’t exactly been in a consistently strong position these last 17-18 years.

Really? Really!? Really!?

18 YEARS AGO was 2006 and back then CN was HUGE, It wasnt until the 2014-2015 season that things REALLY went downhill for CN and irreparably so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2