• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Creators, Voice Actors Share Favorite Game Moments at Otakon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It's been ages since my first bunch of anime cons & these days I'm pretty numb to guest appearances and special panels, but I can tell this is one I'd definitely not have wanted to miss if I could have attended.

A lot of people seem to have not liked how linear elements of the gameplay were in Part 1, but I felt like it kept the story pacing moving along at a really good clip. Part 2 opened up the map and there's a lot more "game" to be had than the first part, but I think they also really lost some of that tight story pacing in the process.

Dyne's section was one of the casualties of that, for me - after him and Barret have their moment, the Turks show up and it feels like things go a bit "goofy" in the scenes that follow. The entire tone of that prison area felt a little bit wonky in general, I just wish they would have let Dyne & Barret's moment linger a bit longer before the dial got turned back up to 11 immediately after.

Am definitely looking forward to Part 3 - the original Playstation 1 release came out in a time when the lack of voice acting and varying quality in dialogue translations really left a lot of scenes as being unclear in their intention. Later game releases in the Compilation of FF7 project didn't really help ground any of those stories too well either, and FF7R has been doing a wildly good job of rounding up all of those disparate elements and making one very good, coherent mystery of a story. It's been a joy watching/playing/guessing how things are going to end.
Matros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:02 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

A lot of people seem to have not liked how linear elements of the gameplay were in Part 1, but I felt like it kept the story pacing moving along at a really good clip. Part 2 opened up the map and there's a lot more "game" to be had than the first part, but I think they also really lost some of that tight story pacing in the process.

You more or less described OG FF7 too. lol
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
You more or less described OG FF7 too. lol

I wondered if it was worth noting that or not - truth be told, it's one of the reasons I've always leaned to being more of a FF9 fan during the PS1 generation, FF10 on PS2 later being one of my favorites overall (and HIGHLY linear with its map travel).

At the same time, FF15 presented an unfortunately-vast-yet-empty open map to explore, and FF7R Part 2 should be celebrated in 2024 for taking classic PS1-era RPG elements and marrying them really well to the open map concept that I think most would agree FF15 kind of flubbed.

As time has passed, the goofier tongue-in-cheek parts of FF7 that originally took me out of the experience have been blown into big productions and made really fun (see the opening introduction for Part 2's Gold Saucer). My hope is that the unavoidable narrative shift in Part 3 tightens the main quest's storytelling a bit, because in my mind, I don't really have any negative critiques of Part 2 sans the fact that I feel like I'm made to choose between 100%'ing an area for several hours or seeing what happens next with the main plot. "Too many fun things to do" is a weird (not-)"problem" for a game to have these days.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Should've expected that response to the Aerith question...though you can feel the passion from the creators and VA's.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Everyone loves the property so much and put their all in their performances. I love this cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1