• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shogakukan Plans to Release Light Novel App in U.S., Canada Using AI Translation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:58 am Reply with quote
This will blow up in Shogakukan's faces.
Gamen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:18 am Reply with quote
One person's work of art is just another person's content, I suppose. Somehow not surprised it's another Japanese publisher trying to cut out the middlemen and make a quick buck.

Still, a nice reminder that most anime, manga, light novels, and so on are just disposable pop culture trash, just like all our TV shows and superhero films and NYT Best Sellers.

I feel sorry for the translators who take their jobs seriously, respect the original creators, and deliver us faithful translations ...that woke up to this slap in the face.

Wonder if any of these works will still be licenseable. Both in terms of availability, and in profitability.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:36 am Reply with quote
I can't think of a worse thing to use AI on than the vague writing of a Light Novel
That's not a dig at light novels, it's simply how Japanese works as a language, often entire parts of a sentence are left out and assumed by context

AI can't even properly translate the pronouns of a character into English (Often defaulting every 私 to he), it's gonna have no hope with dialogue
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:46 am Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
I can't think of a worse thing to use AI on than the vague writing of a Light Novel

Well, I can think of a few hundred worst things you can use AI for. Translating light novels into English is pretty far from that list.
Electric Wooloo wrote:
AI can't even properly translate the pronouns of a character into English (Often defaulting every 私 to he), it's gonna have no hope with dialogue

Probably not how it is right now. It's not like people are actively working on something to akin to a universal translator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:07 am Reply with quote
*Using my best Princess Fiona voice and wave* Fare thee well, Shogakukan.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:35 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, another platform to ignore. I hope this doesn't kill any fan tls.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, something tells me that this is not going to go well for Shogakukan. I hope Viz Media can tell their parent company (reminder: Shogakukan is one of the 2 owners, the other being Shueisha that owned Viz) that this is a bad idea and will ultimately failed in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:00 am Reply with quote
Flooding the market always benefits the consumer. Rolling Eyes
kpossibles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:13 am Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
That's not a dig at light novels, it's simply how Japanese works as a language, often entire parts of a sentence are left out and assumed by context

at some point, they will realize their mistake and hire translators to do corrections instead of hiring them directly to do it right the first time. Happens every time so far...
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:15 am Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:
I feel sorry for the translators who take their jobs seriously, respect the original creators, and deliver us faithful translations ...that woke up to this slap in the face.

I was under the impression a lot of English localization was not very well received because it wasn't that accurate and that's why a lot of people push for this kind of thing in general.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
AI translation? Hard pass.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nikkei stated the app will allegedly cut translation costs in half

Just in half, huh? Surely you can do better than that, Shogakukan. Isn't the point of replacing people with computers to take away 100% of the translation costs? Better replace the original authors with computers as well. Writers are annoying and ask for money; computers are cool and work for free. I've done the math and made a line graph (the line means money for the CEO and board of directors, and the line's going up really high). Get on it, Shogakukan, ASAP.
Gamen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:27 am Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:
I was under the impression a lot of English localization was not very well received because it wasn't that accurate and that's why a lot of people push for this kind of thing in general.

I mean, everyone has their own opinion. For me, on the one hand I'm not sure video games are ever translated faithfully, whether now or in the era of Woolsey. On the other extreme the high profile incidents with light novel translations (Seven Seas) have been caused by editors cutting or changing the translator's work. And anime and manga seem to be far closer to the latter than video games. There's been some high profile incidents, of course, with like one or two translators that treat some anime like embarrassments they don't have to translate seriously, and other's like they have issues that need correcting, or to be thoroughly recontexualized, but the majority are just... professionally translated by people just doing their job.

...Which means on a budget, which means corners get cut, and there isn't time for funny business.

The caveat is that all of my interaction with translators (and editors) is on the JNC forums, so my impressions are heavily biased towards the light novel side of things. JNC can occasionally "overlocalize" (e.g. I couldn't stand how they localized the MC's rough and rude language in Now I'm a Demon Lord! by having him swear like a sailor, and understanding why they did it doesn't help, and a few people object to the Japanese pop culture references and memes that are unfamiliar even in Western anime fandom being swapped out with more familiar ones, and some people get upset about JNC doing its best to replace Japanese honorifics with appropriate English registers in many series), but the most they'll do for "editorializing" is insert trigger warnings, and only in the serialized prepubs, not the final books.

Regardless, just like came up with the Ancient Magus' Bride thread, people who want the Japanese publishers to use "AI" translations because they think they'll be more accurate, more faithful, and dare I say "woke-free" than translations from real people who are familiar with both languages and cultures, are going to be disappointed. They're just going to get MTL garbage. And I would not be surprised if they censor the content to fit what they think most Americans want.
FishLion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:
And I would not be surprised if they censor the content to fit what they think most Americans want.

This is what happened when anime was first being licensed more broadly in America. Companies censored or cut things according to strict guidelines to avoid controversy and appeal to specific demographics. There is no reason to believe that a company who controls even more of the translation process would cut or censor things less.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:

Probably not how it is right now. It's not like people are actively working on something to akin to a universal translator.

Well then maybe they should wait until it's done to use it for stuff like this
It's like selling you a really good car that doesn't have a steering wheel but don't worry they're really close to finishing the steering wheel so just buy it now!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2