• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya: Kaiō Saiki - Rerise of Poseidon Manga Moves to Bimonthly Publishing Schedule

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick question: Is the mangaka's name Tsunaki Suda, or Tsunakan (or Tsunacan) Suda? I've seen both used online, but even Suda's own social media accounts use Tsunakan (& also Tsunacan, for that matter), so I wonder if ANN using Tsunaki was simply a mistake from when Suda was first making their name known with Rerise's debut.

Anyway, I've generally heard good things about this spin-off, I've often seen Suda's artwork praised for being the closest to imitating Kurumada's style, and Suda has shown no hesitation in tossing in references to Kurumada non-Seiya works every now & then for the fun of it, from bits & pieces I've seen. Most recently, for example, Sea Horse Baian & Scylla Io did a double-team move called Cyclone Maelstrom, which is a reference to the superblow seen in Ring ni Kakero performed by Poseidon, one of the 12 Gods of Greece.

If moving to bimonthly is what Suda needs to keep making this manga, though, all the more power to them.
BrazillianCara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Someday, I hope to see a cohesive and comprehensive list of all the many, MANY different Saint Seiya series and spinoffs. I wasn't even aware this one existed.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:59 pm Reply with quote
BrazillianCara wrote:
Someday, I hope to see a cohesive and comprehensive list of all the many, MANY different Saint Seiya series and spinoffs. I wasn't even aware this one existed.

They're all listed on Masami Kurumada's Japanese Wikipedia page, but it's really not that many:
-Saint Seiya Episode.G by Megumu Okada (this has three parts, the current one being Episode.G Requiem)
-Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas by Shiori Teshirogi (this has two parts, the main series & the Gold Saint-focused Gaiden series)
-Saint Seiya Omega by Bau (this only ran for one volume before the magazine it ran in died)
-Saint Seiya: Saintia Sho by Chimaki Kuori (this is the one that Seven Seas has released officially in English)
-Saint Seiya: Kaiō Saiki - Rerise of Poseidon by Tsunaki/Tsunakan Suda

And that's it. Even if you include the non-Seiya spin-off manga there are only two more, Fuma no Kojirou: Yagyu Ansatsuchou by Satoshi Yuri & Kurumada Suikoden: Hero of Heroes by Yun Kouga, neither of which got finished.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Just a quick question: Is the mangaka's name Tsunaki Suda, or Tsunakan (or Tsunacan) Suda? I've seen both used online, but even Suda's own social media accounts use Tsunakan (& also Tsunacan, for that matter), so I wonder if ANN using Tsunaki was simply a mistake from when Suda was first making their name known with Rerise's debut.

I used to cal him "Tsunagami" because that was the reading I saw on most websites, but it looks like "Tsunakan" is the correct one.

Lord Geo wrote:
If moving to bimonthly is what Suda needs to keep making this manga, though, all the more power to them.

The chapters were coming out at an irregular schedule, so if Suda manages to keep this serialization bi-monthly, that will be an improvement. If the rumors that he's Booty Royale's Rui Takato under a pseudonym are true, then it's understandable that he can't churn out a chapter per month.
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:02 am Reply with quote
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:54 am Reply with quote
There is also the Episode G sequels Assassin and Requiem which are kinda post Hades but in an alternative universe with the former focusing on the the entire army of the Athena and the latter just the original five protagonists now promoted to Gold. Lost Canvas has the Gaidens and one volume filled with oneshots. Omega also inspired a one volume manga too primarily centered around Koga in each arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1