• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SNK vs. Capcom SVC Chaos Fighting Game Launches on Switch, PS4, PC

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Still surreal seeing Zero there.
Trollhiti Tour Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:49 am Reply with quote
They censored Mai... rip Sad
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:16 am Reply with quote
Trollhiti Tour Guide wrote:

According to Code Mystics announcement, the ingame content will be uncensored as opposed to the poster.

They even included a trigger warning at the beginning of the game that the game isn't intended to offend anyone nor necessarily represent company values, but that it is a faithful recreation of the 2003 release. (Demitri's sex-change attack might be one of the more problematic ones in the original according to several commenters, hopefully the disclaimer keeps the heat down...)

If they go back on their word and do censor the actual content, then have at it...

Edit; Here's the Japanese poster;
https://varishangout.com/index.php?attachments/svc-01-jpg.19698/
If you compare to the image in the article you see Mai's cleavage is censored.
Evo Las Vegas actually featured the uncensored poster.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:02 am Reply with quote

As mentioned, it's literally only the new artwork that got changed, not the game itself.

However, Mai being censored really wouldn't be shocking anyway, because SNK has had a history of doing just that to her back in the 90s. The old English releases of various Neo Geo arcade games, especially KOF entries, used to often remove the animation for Mai's chest bouncing during her standing animation, either via a dip switch option for arcades or straight up forced removal for console ports.

In fact, I think SVC Chaos' original arcade release might have even had that option, back in 2003.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

As mentioned, it's literally only the new artwork that got changed, not the game itself.

However, Mai being censored really wouldn't be shocking anyway, because SNK has had a history of doing just that to her back in the 90s. The old English releases of various Neo Geo arcade games, especially KOF entries, used to often remove the animation for Mai's chest bouncing during her standing animation, either via a dip switch option for arcades or straight up forced removal for console ports.

In fact, I think SVC Chaos' original arcade release might have even had that option, back in 2003.

I'm more concerned about her being censored in SF6 once she's added to the game after Terry.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:14 pm Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:
I'm more concerned about her being censored in SF6 once she's added to the game after Terry.

Censored in what way Laura was in SF5
onpufan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
They even included a trigger warning at the beginning of the game that the game isn't intended to offend anyone nor necessarily represent company values, but that it is a faithful recreation of the 2003 release.

To be fair we've seen games put those screens in and still alter content anyway so it's up in the air and not a gurantee.

If it's uncensored then that's good for the people who will buy this but I'll just stick with the original versions like I do with most of these re-released. Whenever I see those kinds of screens it indicates that even if the game does well they won't make any sequels to it because they've ashamed of it so there's no financial incentive for fans to support it.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:09 am Reply with quote
From the port's developer, Code Mystics:

https://x.com/CodeMystics/status/1815627827179651496
https://x.com/CodeMystics/status/1815639917357359449

Quote:
Some people've been intensely curious about what's behind #SVCChaos's disclaimer, so we asked TPTB. Ans: some dialogue was thought problematic but as a retro title they wanted "historically accuracy", so acknowledged the issue instead (36v36 x3 langs is a lot of text to review!)

...best guess on promo art (no knowledge from SNK/Capcom, just general experience)... game content is behind an age gate, but box art (digital storefront or physical) is seen by everyone so has to be "E for Everyone." So it'll be subject to the rules of regional ratings boards.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:52 pm Reply with quote
https://x.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1815862676595057035
https://x.com/pixnlove_games/status/1815765720690475351

Physical releases confirmed.....as expected on Limited Run Games' part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1