• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monogatari Series' Shinomonogatari Novels Ship on August 19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hexashadow13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
Vertical seems to have stopped localizing the novel series in English unfortunately. I wonder if you could get a comment from them on whether they plan on translating the rest eventually or not.
James02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:30 am Reply with quote
For a second, I thought the anime was coming back. Hope can come and go very quickly.
Sheenoobuu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:28 am Reply with quote
hexashadow13 wrote:
Vertical seems to have stopped localizing the novel series in English unfortunately. I wonder if you could get a comment from them on whether they plan on translating the rest eventually or not.

Is this confirmed? Last I saw, they released the final Owarimonogatari part 3 book this month.
Is that supposed to be it or what?
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:56 am Reply with quote
James02 wrote:
For a second, I thought the anime was coming back. Hope can come and go very quickly.

It'll come - give it time.
Arxana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Sheenoobuu wrote:
hexashadow13 wrote:

Is this confirmed? Last I saw, they released the final Owarimonogatari part 3 book this month.
Is that supposed to be it or what?

The last book Vertical released was Zoku Owarimonogatari, which comes after Owarimonogatari Part 3. The last paragraph of the book’s own description (visible on Amazon) is as follows:

Quote:
In an alternate reality where bits of the world have been flipped around, the hero comes face to face with the hidden side(s) of familiar faces, along with author NISIOISIN, whose bravura attempt to reimagine character possibilities concludes, with signature flair, the MONOGATARI series proper—thank you for reading.

Though to my knowledge Vertical hasn’t announced anything, I think that final sentence is confirmation that they are treating Zoku Owarimonogatari as the final book (not least because Owarimonogatari translates to “End Tale”). The fact that this book was released back in December 2020 and there hasn’t even been another announcement for the next book suggests this as well.

My guess is that the series was becoming less profitable with each subsequent volume and they decided to cancel it at what they considered a decent stopping point.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Arxana wrote:
Though to my knowledge Vertical hasn’t announced anything

I mean, hard for them to announce anything when they don't "exist" anymore. As of earlier this year, they've been fully folded into Kodansha USA and rebranded as "Kodansha Books". Laughing

Everything about their Twitter account suggests that they consider NisoIsin titles their big cash cows, so it's more likely that they're going to be focusing on Pretty Boy Detective Club for now (and possibly catching up on their backlog of his Kubikiri books?) and waiting until the anime for the next "season" to be announced, in order to capitalize on the free publicity for the books once that comes out.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
(and possibly catching up on their backlog of his Kubikiri books?)

If Kubikiri == Zaregoto, then Yes, please!

(Too bad the Zaregoto OAVs never made it over here.)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
If Kubikiri == Zaregoto, then Yes, please!

Yeah, for some reason I had internalized the name of that series as Kubikiri Cycle, when that's just the name of the first book. Embarassed
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:15 am Reply with quote
...Somewhat disappointed that I misread the title.

Monogatari Shmonogatari.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1