• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ascendance of a Bookworm Light Novels Get Stage Musical

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:35 am Reply with quote
Interesting. They held off so long in exploiting the license outside of the book series and the occasional audio novel / manga. Like next to no merch or figurines / models. So its nice it is getting the stage play to celebrate the material, I am sure there will be enough fans out there to turn it into quite the success.

That said I am not sure how you turn a series about family, craft and the power struggles of nobility into a musical. Especially one as well realised as bookworm that gives less room to muck around.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't really imagine how this could be adapted for the stage. I'd kind of like to see it, since I do love Bookworm, but it definitely lacks the kind of... vivid theatricality that's made so many other properties feel like a more natural fit for theatre.

Or... maybe I could see it working as a kind of pseudo-parody. Like an entire show where it's just Myne, in a library, reading. With other characters coming and going, talking to each other, and trying -- and failing -- to pull her away.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:54 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Interesting. They held off so long in exploiting the license outside of the book series and the occasional audio novel / manga. Like next to no merch or figurines / models.

There's been an absolutely insane amount of merch for this series, it's just all sold directly through the publisher's site.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Guess you know your franchise has hit it big when you get a stage musical.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Cryten wrote:
Interesting. They held off so long in exploiting the license outside of the book series and the occasional audio novel / manga. Like next to no merch or figurines / models.

There's been an absolutely insane amount of merch for this series, it's just all sold directly through the publisher's site.

Oh? So Japanese only? I just have not seen anything other then the books and manga make it through to Australian shores.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1