• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Terminator Zero Anime Reveals Teaser Trailer, New Key Art

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:21 am Reply with quote
I'm so tired of all these western franchises being made into anime. The whole appeal of anime was finding stories created with a Japanese mind, things different than what we got in Hollywood/western TV. This is the opposite of what made anime popular/globally appealing. Sad how first JP game developers failed to realize this and now anime has fallen for the trap of chasing western appeal. JP Game devs fell for this trap a decade ago and only recently reversed course
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:58 am Reply with quote
??? Just how many western franchises made into anime in any seasons? Two? Three at most? Out of 30+ titles each season? You got tired of these... uh, western-infected show, there are many other or you to watch.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:02 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I'm so tired of all these western franchises being made into anime. The whole appeal of anime was finding stories created with a Japanese mind, things different than what we got in Hollywood/western TV. This is the opposite of what made anime popular/globally appealing. Sad how first JP game developers failed to realize this and now anime has fallen for the trap of chasing western appeal. JP Game devs fell for this trap a decade ago and only recently reversed course

I feel the same way too I mean Netflix is even planning an anime for Stranger Things, this is clearly these western companies jumping in the bandwagon of the anime medium becoming more popular.
OtakuKat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Nice gish gallop you got there
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:16 am Reply with quote
It looks okay.

I love how the female Terminator bodies have hair long enough to cover their nips.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I'm so tired of all these western franchises being made into anime. The whole appeal of anime was finding stories created with a Japanese mind, things different than what we got in Hollywood/western TV. This is the opposite of what made anime popular/globally appealing

So just to be sure it’s okay when Japan adapts their own media into other media?

Kougeru wrote:
Sad how first JP game developers failed to realize this and now anime has fallen for the trap of chasing western appeal. JP Game devs fell for this trap a decade ago and only recently reversed course

Maybe I’m misremembering but didn’t you have a lot of Japanese studios and the like going out of business in part because they were stagnating and which had nothing to do with aping on western game design?

Not to mention hasn’t a lot of the cauterwauling over Japanese video games been people complaining “ironically” about similar looking games some of which have gacha elements which will shut down within 1-3 years?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:21 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Dude, you're talking as if we didn't have a zillion isekai/romcom/moe/otaku shows every season and series like Terminator Zero were the norm (when you know full well that is not the case). I mean, when was the last time we had a show with this cyberpunk/ghost in the shell aesthetic??? I for one miss sorely these kinds of shows (which are EXTREMELY scarce nowadays, sadly). So, yeah, go watch the latest popular romcom/isekai show or whatever the hell is popular noways and leave the rest of us that still enjoy this kind of shows alone, pretty pleazzze?
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:20 am Reply with quote
You know what I'm tired of? These generic, paint-by-numbers trailers.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:24 am Reply with quote
I think people would be happier if everyone stopped caring about an anime’s origin. Why does it matter that this is based on a Western property? If Ghost in the Shell had been based on a Hollywood film, would that make it less appealing somehow?

If the show is good, or bad, that should be the end of it.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:27 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Let's be honest here, anime has been cribbing from Terminator [and Mad Max, Robocop, Blade Runner, Star Wars, ect.] for years. There's nothing wrong with occasionally letting them try their hand at the real thing.
OtakuKat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:08 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Dude, you're talking as if we didn't have a zillion isekai/romcom/moe/otaku shows every season and series like Terminator Zero were the norm (when you know full well that is not the case). I mean, when was the last time we had a show with this cyberpunk/ghost in the shell aesthetic??? I for one miss sorely these kinds of shows (which are EXTREMELY scarce nowadays, sadly). So, yeah, go watch the latest popular romcom/isekai show or whatever the hell is popular noways and leave the rest of us that still enjoy this kind of shows alone, pretty pleazzze?

Does Cyberpunk: Edgerunners not count?
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:08 am Reply with quote
There hadn't been much going on with the franchise for the past few years. This could be better than the last couple movies.
Gilarack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:24 am Reply with quote
Since this has vaguely something to do with James Cameron, does this mean that we might get an actual Alita anime at some point? Because that would have made WAY more sense!
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:34 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
??? Just how many western franchises made into anime in any seasons? Two? Three at most? Out of 30+ titles each season? You got tired of these... uh, western-infected show, there are many other or you to watch.

For real, and as long as they look and/or are actually good, does it even really matter? "Anime" is not a genre and never has been, it's just animation. It's not even a 1:1 adaptation of any Terminator movie, it's just a new story in the universe.

Besides, Japan's been doing Terminator stuff ever since Trunks showed up in DBZ Wink
dsfjr1190

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I was more excited before they announced that the only thing "anime" about this is the art style.

The show runners, writers, and producers are all American.

It's a shame. I was looking forward to a Japanese take on the franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2