• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Suicide Squad ISEKAI

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:38 pm Reply with quote
" I know the idea of being transported to another world isn't something that was invented or exclusive to Japanese animation".

Yeah, just off the top of my head I can think of The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, and A Princess of Mars (John Carter).
Nova99
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone showing this outside the U.S. , or is it VPN time?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Nova99 wrote:

It's on U.S. Hulu (verified that directly) and (U.S.?) Max, according to the preview guide.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:56 pm Reply with quote
This is probably the best thing to come out of the Suicide Squad property since the James Gunn movie.

It's just a lot of fun and knows what it wants to be, and Tappei knows how to play with Isekai tropes and seems to get enough about the characters to write them accurately.

This show has my new favorite version of Clayface. He and Harley steal the show every time they get scenes.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Nova99 wrote:

Its on Hulu in the US, HBO Go in Asia, BS11 (free Sat) and Tokyo MX (Tokyo terrestrial) in Japan, Sky TV in the UK and Warners MAX streaming service pretty much everywhere else bar India.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:01 pm Reply with quote
The show has been surprisingly good so far. It’s just fun seeing the Squad running around kicking butt. Ratcatcher never stood a chance…

I feel like they’re setting up Harley Quinn and this princess to have a Parent Trap type scene at some point.
Nova99
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:19 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
Nova99 wrote:

Its on Hulu in the US, HBO Go in Asia, BS11 (free Sat) and Tokyo MX (Tokyo terrestrial) in Japan, Sky TV in the UK and Warners MAX streaming service pretty much everywhere else bar India.

Not on Sky TV in the UK, at least as far as I have been able to find - it definitely does not show up when searching on Sky itself or their website.

None of the usual suspects (Disney + etc.) seem to have it in the UK, so I hoped someone here knew something...
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Will be scheduled later when there is a gap (probably after the summer sport season) like when they showed Harley Quinn.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:55 am Reply with quote
Giving Clayface tremendous amounts of Theater Kid Energy is probably the most correct anyone has been with the character since its inception. They probably wanted to keep him human because having him not means that he's encroaching on the space held by King Shark and we don't want that, do we? Razz
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:07 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Nova99 wrote:

It's on U.S. Hulu (verified that directly) and (U.S.?) Max, according to the preview guide.

im more surprised that it did not take the place of ninja kamui
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Props for actuall acknowledging the issue of ammo for the shooters in a fantasy setting (and now Harley suddenly has a gun to make Deadshot feel even worse) though I'm surprised they didn't just try to give him a crossbow or something.

Harley is now a mother! Is "Arthur" meant to be a reference to the Joker movie?

Flag is now in contact with Amanda and under orders to kill his original team but he seems conflicted about it.

Things were going too well so of course their pals from prison get killed by Thinker and Enchantress. I'm also hoping the animation for this episode was more...off because they were saving up for the big fight in the next one.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing that it really was a "can't see me" joke, and it does not work for me. It already bugged me that comic movies would have the characters going around without their masks all the time, but do we really need the cartoon versions to also be based on the movie actors? It's less of a joke, and more of a sign that WB is desperate to remind you of other stuff that it does.
Davy Sprocket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm guessing that it really was a "can't see me" joke, and it does not work for me. It already bugged me that comic movies would have the characters going around without their masks all the time, but do we really need the cartoon versions to also be based on the movie actors? It's less of a joke, and more of a sign that WB is desperate to remind you of other stuff that it does.

Wasn't it already obvious this was based heavily on the live-action films for synergy?
Eilavel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Its an unfunny joke, but if every unfunny joke in anime bothered me the list of shows I could watch would be short indeed.

Fun episode, sure its silly but its got pacing like a rocket and some good character beats. I don't expect or want more from this show, might be the best episode so far.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I felt the whole "Peacmaker poses as an elf" sequence was a nod to Takehito Koyasu as Dio and Oberon.

I see they were saving up for all the great Harley sakuga in this episode...and it was amazing.

Thinker's first mistake was trying to break the mind of a woman who was already mentally broken. And in the end he lost the only thing he had of value...his head (and thinking cap).

I'm glad Flag finally feels like part of the team, but it makes his likelihood of dying even higher.

They really made Harley look absolutely unhinged during that scene of her and Joker dropping Thinker. They're not downplaying how absolutely nuts she is.

Is Katana really bad in this? The way she smiled and said Harley's name like Joker does seemed incredibly suspicious.

Surprise surprise, the queen isn't happy they're actually winning.
Davy Sprocket wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Wasn't it already obvious this was based heavily on the live-action films for synergy?

Especially when we get to the Harley sequence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3