• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Launches 20th Anniversary Project With TV Version of 1st 2 Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:32 pm Reply with quote
It is really impressive that a spin-off of an adult visual novel can be this big.
Amritzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:05 pm Reply with quote
It would have been better if they just made another remake series, but ok.

Hopefully there will be more new Nanoha stuff in the future.

Either way, I guess little Nanoha era will always be considered the best.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we'll see a proper StrikerS follow up some day.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hyorp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:03 am Reply with quote
This is pretty awesome!

Nanoha is still one of my favorite anime, so I'm all for them allowing me to watch the series again.

But I really hope we can get the following:
- BD Release of StrikerS/Movie treatment for StrikerS
- Season 2 of ViVid (Vivid Strike doesn't count)
- Would be awesome if we could see the events of StrikerS that
spoiler[ Nanoha fought the invisible enemies that caused her to need to go through intensive care to be able to walk again. ]
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:30 am Reply with quote
Weren't the movies already retellings of the TV show?
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:35 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Yep. I presume they plan to cram both movie events in one season just to remind people about the franchise before some new project.

For me personally movie 1 was great as while it cut almost all of the SoL parts of the series and one c ontroversial scene, it added a bunch of necessaary character flashbacks that were not in it. It was full experience watching both.

While movie 2 is just shorter version of the series (I am still angry they cut certain characters and plotline and the final battle looked worse because of not so good CGI for the final boss).

Let's see if we'll get some midseason events covered like the last two movies, a continuation of Vivid part in any form or an actual sequel to Nanohas story considering the Force got canned (I actually prefer older Nanoha and want to see more of her).

Strikers movie may be an easy option but you probably need like 2-3 movies to cover it even withn all of the cuts.

Last edited by Nachtwandler on Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:19 am; edited 2 times in total
DolFun The Dolphin Vtuber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:16 am Reply with quote
I would really like to see them complete Force, I enjoyed that manga.

I wouldn't mind seeing them go the other route and make a series using the Reflection & Detonation timeline.
Riku157

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:03 am Reply with quote
I just want Forces to be completed. I first got into the series with these movies, but putting them in TV format isn't some great thing that's anniversary worthy.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:17 am Reply with quote
Rather than a strikers sequel, something that happens in junior high/highschool is what I want, es specially more stuff that develops nanofate.

Hyorp wrote:
This is pretty awesome!
spoiler[ Nanoha fought the invisible enemies that caused her to need to go through intensive care to be able to walk again. ]

Was not the latest spoiler[that event on the detonation movies where she lost both her legs and an arm?]
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:18 am Reply with quote
Some notes:

None of the Nanoha series are available to stream, with the possibility of only on Amazon. Last I checked, they were listed, but were unavailable.

Nanoha season 1 was released by Geneon, and later Funimation, and more than a decade later by Discotek. Season 2 (A's) was released by Funimation and is expected to release later this year by Discotek. Season 3 (StrikerS) has never been released in the US. The spin offs, (ViVid and ViVid Strike), have also never been released in the US. Streaming was limited to Amazon, but those seemed to have been taken down last I checked.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Sort of but not 100%. If you take the commentary tracks as canon, since they're done in character from the StrikerS/post-StrikerS-era version of the characters, the first two movies are in fact in-universe films. The only ones this sort of becomes a problem is Detonation/Reflection.

It's sort of like how Macross has the whole situation regarding which version of Space War 1 actually happened and which version is the fictionalized version (OG Series or DYRL) but in this case, a lot more explicate in which case is which.

spoiler[In the case of the Nanoha movies, its also used to trim the fat and clean up the characterization a bit such as Presia's characterization in Movie 1st versus the TV series and why some subplots from the respective TV shows are cut entirely for time (Movie 2nd's exclusion of the Graham/Liese subplot as a whole is seen as in-universe TSAB propaganda)]
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
Nanoha season 1 was released by Geneon, and later Funimation, and more than a decade later by Discotek. Season 2 (A's) was released by Funimation and is expected to release later this year by Discotek.

Funimation actually distributed both the old DVD sets. It was right at the death of Geneon USA, when Funi was helping Geneon finish out series in joint releases like Higurashi and Hellsing Ultimate. I have the original release in the chipboard box.

Also, Discotek's Bluray for A's came out this month. I preordered it, it shipped out already, and I've had it in hand for over a week now.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:40 pm Reply with quote
DolFun The Dolphin Vtuber wrote:
I would really like to see them complete Force, I enjoyed that manga.

Riku157 wrote:
I just want Forces to be completed.

Reminder that Yukari Higa has only just recently started getting back into the swing of drawing manga again in the midst of her ongoing health issues. She's busy drawing occasional updates to her current two projects: the manga adaptations of both Magical Explorer and that one Former Noble Mother & Daughters series.

It's been like a decade, so it might be too late to bring back Force, but even if they wanted to, I don't think it'd be feasible considering Higa's circumstances.
(yes, they could get a new artist, but I feel like Higa's art is fairly iconic as far as Nanoha manga is concerned...)
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Boy, and just when I thought this thing was officially dead.
I wonder if Masaki Tsuzuki is finally done with his Final Fantasy 8 ripoff and will most likely do a continuity reboot of some sorts.

Maybe stop with the constant Yuri baiting and just go all out with Nanoha x Fate.
Hyorp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:37 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Rather than a strikers sequel, something that happens in junior high/highschool is what I want, es specially more stuff that develops nanofate.

Hyorp wrote:
This is pretty awesome!

Was not the latest spoiler[that event on the detonation movies where she lost both her legs and an arm?]

Yes, even if we got a minor piece between Detonation and Strikers that just mentioned the events of Detonation, I would be okay with it. I'm still wondering if it was canon, a retelling, an alternate timeline, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2