• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: DEMON SLAYER -KIMETSU NO YAIBA- The Stage Part 1 Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne F

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinely surprised to see a stage play review. I wouldn't mind seeing more of these in the future, but I know how inaccessible they can be for those outside of Japan. If there's a stream available for overseas viewers, it's generally limited to when the show is running. Maybe for Attack on Titan in October?

I enjoyed this review and I'm glad you were able to see the charm behind this particular show at least. Your comment about Zenitsu made me laugh because that has happened to me way too many times to count while watching stage plays. I appreciate so many characters more, even the side characters that are only around for an episode or two, because of how much love and care the actors put into their roles. You get to see more from them than you would in the show and manga.

I'm always amazed by what stage plays can do with the choreography, sets, and props. For example, the Gundam 00 shows with how they created their own "gundams" for actors to use on stage and skating in SK8 and volleyball in Engeki Haikyuu without really skating or playing actual volleyball. The creativity always blows me away.

I agree that this show, and I'd say probably stage plays in general, can be a great way to dip your toes into a series. Especially ones that may seem as daunting because they're long and/or filled with lots of filler or are based on mobile games where one might not be interested in actually playing them like a more traditional video game. It's easier to digest when the content is trimmed down to mostly the more important parts and they're entertaining. Stage plays are sometimes the only way I'll watch a series I didn't have any interest in because it's easier to watch or because of the actors (usually it's the latter that gets me interested).

I'm glad you enjoyed the show that you would maybe recommend it. Live action adaptions aren't always well-received (and I can absolutely see why) and are usually dreaded so it's nice knowing that you had a good time. I hope you end up watching more in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1