• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action One Piece Series' 2nd Season Unveils More Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:13 am Reply with quote
Still casting White actresses in place of Asian characters. Again, why is it ok with One Piece, but not Ghost in the Shell?
Matros

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Still casting White actresses in place of Asian characters. Again, why is it ok with One Piece, but not Ghost in the Shell?

Are you Oda? Did you create One Piece and approve any of these choices? If not, then no need to constantly whine. Getting the same energy when people complained that dark skinned actors portrayed characters that are "technnically" white in the series.
Rosikota

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

A bit of research led me to find out she's Filipino. This actress is Asian.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:21 am Reply with quote
Wapol's actor was apparently in the School of Rock stage musical in the Jack Black role, so it oughta be fun to see the energy he brings.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:31 am Reply with quote
Rosi: Ok, fine. I stand corrected. Still applies to Nami, though.
Rosikota

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

According to Oda, the creator, he believed if Nami was real she'd be Swedish. So, either way, Oda intended for her to be white in a case like this.

Unless you also have a problem with a problem with an asian person deciding whether or not their own character should be asian, please think before you speak.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:52 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Why do you think Nami is a victim of whitewashing? Once upon a time, Oda answered a fan question asking where the Straw Hat Pirates would be from if they existed in our world. While I can't remember his answer for Nami, I'm fairly certain that the live action series took this information into account when casting. I'd provide the exact question and answer if I were up-to-date with One Piece right now, but I'm afraid of seeing something I shouldn't. Perhaps you can search for this information yourself, or maybe someone else would be kind enough to look for you.

Edit: Looks like someone beat me to it.
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:10 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

2 minutes on Google would have given you the answer you’re looking for instead of looking ridiculous on here. Nami was never Asian to begin with, something Oda himself confirmed long before the live action was even a thing. Maybe spend more time doing basic research on the matter.
andramus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:26 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Tashigi supposed to look almost identical to Kuina? So much so that Zoro thought she was Kuina for a moment?

I always thought that plot point was going to come back around at some future point. Like they were twin sisters separated at birth or something.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:02 am Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
Wasn't Tashigi supposed to look almost identical to Kuina?

Sure if you ignore the fact that Kuina was a kid when Zoro last saw her and Tashigi is a grown woman.

andramus wrote:
I always thought that plot point was going to come back around at some future point. Like they were twin sisters separated at birth or something.

Sorry we’ve moved on to other still as of yet unexplained mysteries such as how Zoro got his scar over his left eye and whether or not he can still use said eye.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:16 am Reply with quote
We’re getting closer and closer to that Vivi casting.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Are you under the impression that One Piece takes place in Japan?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Koin: One of the arcs does.
Trollhiti Tour Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I'm pretty sure Ghost in the Shell's backlash was just ScarJo haters simply using the whitewashing angle as a weapon against her more than people who genuinely care about accurate casting.

MyMasterMatthew wrote:
Why do you think Nami is a victim of whitewashing? Once upon a time, Oda answered a fan question asking where the Straw Hat Pirates would be from if they existed in our world. While I can't remember his answer for Nami, I'm fairly certain that the live action series took this information into account when casting.

This is misinformation that often gets passed around, including from the live-action show runner's themselves. The answer Oda give was 1) not the only ones he's given, he's also said Luffy is Japanese many times in the past, and 2) humorous and joke answers like Chopper being Canadian for being a Reindeer. Also most of the casting isn't accurate even to those answer he gave anyway so it's not even accurate to the casting...
funkfoot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Rosikota wrote:
According to Oda, the creator, he believed if Nami was real she'd be Swedish. So, either way, Oda intended for her to be white in a case like this.

A bit interesting you assume Swedish means white by default.

Tell me, what race do you think of when you think of "German", because that was the country he associated with Zoro.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2