• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lunar Legend Tsukihime: Revisiting the Anime that 'Doesn't Exist'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:07 am Reply with quote
Hopefully the smash success of TsukiRe leads to an Ufotable anime adaptation. Until then we're stuck with the only Tsuki anime available: Carnival Phantasm.
Mononyan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:25 am Reply with quote
The lack of inner monologues is an issue I have with ufotable adaptations of Fate. It's the same thing with Shiro, in the visual novel we get all of his thoughts and feelings and they're almost entirely absent in both UBW and HF. It really takes away a lot from the characters, making them feel empty. Not every line can be included, but to cut them all instead? It's frustrating to watch sometimes.

(Sorry for the mini rant)
Eilavel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:38 am Reply with quote
I recall finding it solidly mid when it came out (admittedly much younger and with probably low standards). Despite not being very well made there were some sequences and moments that captured the nasu vibe as I now, but not then, understand it.

Perhaps I'd think its much worse now- its a long time ago! - but I don't recall it being notably awful. I think some of the OST was decent?

Really, while theres a few good bits in Arcs route the best bits of Tsukihime are all in the Far Side routes and I don't imagine these getting adapted ever.
Jacut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:18 am Reply with quote
Tsukihime was no masterpiece by any means and not as good as the VN (of which I finished every arc) but still... Compared to animes released in the first half of 2024, how many can hold up to it? Two? Three? I think we should be glad to have had a time in anime history - and not just one actually - when average animes like this one were still watchable at least.

As for the inner monologues, every decent scriptwriter knows that it's not something that can work on screen, which is also why Game of Thrones could never come close to A Song of Ice and Fire since inner monologues and POVs were so important in the books.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ArchetypeSaber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:41 am Reply with quote
If there was one thing that always irked me about the Tsukihime anime, it's that how dreary, if not downright depressive its atmosphere was. I never got this feeling from reading the visual novel of Shiki having such a downer outlook on everything. The mood of that show always seemed to be down and that never felt right for me. The manga adaptation by comparison is absolutely fantastic and I am still incredibly sad that no one ever bothered picking up DrMaster's license for it. To this day, the 6 English volumes of the manga sit on my shelf, incomplete. I've thought for a while of maybe tracking down the French copies of the last 4 volumes, but I never did.

There is one aspect to Shingetsutan Tsukihime that I will continue to the defend however: the music. The soundtrack is of course soaked in that same depressive, melancholic feeling as the rest of this adaptation, but it works so well. In fact, I was even lucky enough to get Omori Toshiyuki's score for this series at a con way back when here in Germany. Many of its tracks are still etched into my mind all these years later, like "Crescent", "Beleaguer", "Justice" and "Yoi-Zuki". This goes double for it's opening theme "the Sacred Moon", which, again, sets the wrong kind of mood for a Tsukihime anime, but I still find it rather moving regardless.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Tsukihime was no masterpiece by any means and not as good as the VN (of which I finished every arc) but still... Compared to animes released in the first half of 2024, how many can hold up to it? Two? Three?

I can name about 20, it's significantly worse than the modern shonen action series we get and absolutely pales in comparison to droll stuff like the modern Spice & Wolf, Bartender or Urusei Yatsura adaptations
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:05 pm Reply with quote
The only experience I have with this series was seeing the opening in trailers on my old Geneon DVDs and thinking that it looked interesting. I don't think I even knew what visual novels were then, and I have no interest in them now, so I've mostly had a secondhand view of all of the amusing memes surrounding it.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:06 pm Reply with quote
The anime was good enough to get me interested in the franchise and track down my own copy of Melty Blood, and as someone who went in blind to seeing the Garden of Sinners movies, I got super excited when the films implied there was a connection to Tsukihime.

Also I thought the original Kanon OVA's might've been a worse adaptation?????????
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Also I thought the original Kanon OVA's might've been a worse adaptation?????????

Kanon 2002 was a full-on 12-episode TV series, and likely suffered from a lot of the same problems as Tsukihime, namely a shorter length that messed with adapting the story (has there ever really been a good VN adaptation that's only one cour long?) & lackluster animation (though I've generally seen it argued that Toei's Kanon stuck too true to the VNs character designs, which simply didn't adapt well to animation).
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact: is not just a fan joke.

Tsukihime's writer himself acts as if the anime didn't happen.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this back in the day... barely. By what little I can remember it was a dull and average show, I'd probably had given it 2/5 score back then. Learned only later that it was a VN adaptation.

Quote:
As of the time of writing, the average ANN community score of each episode is 3.1 out of 5.

I think you mean a score for all time because, unless things have changed recently, the grading period for ANN episode reviews should be one week after their release. Afterwards, clicking the scoring does nothing. I would know, since I've tested out shaking the tree a little multiple times and poked at the limits.

(I've also seen other people try it, as I've observed a score falling or going up sharply over a very short period if time at the same time as I've been trying to give it my little nudge.)
db999

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Funnily enough, I'm watching it right now, I'm 3 episodes in, and so far it's decent. It'll probably fall apart by the end but if I had to rate the first 3 episodes I'd give them a 7/10.
Surgo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:20 pm Reply with quote
The link to the Fall 2004 Right Stuf catalog really gave me a powerful sense of nostalgia. Something about these old catalogs that you'd read rather than scroll through makes me feel like we lost something in the march to today. Of course we've gained plenty in the process too. Thanks to ANN for keeping that spirit alive.

Also, some really fun sounding stuff in that catalog that I want to take a look at. Even watching anime at the time, most of those titles are things that I've never seen.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:52 pm Reply with quote
ArchetypeSaber wrote:
If there was one thing that always irked me about the Tsukihime anime, it's that how dreary, if not downright depressive its atmosphere was. I never got this feeling from reading the visual novel of Shiki having such a downer outlook on everything.

I get this, and it was one of the things I liked most about the show. When I went and read the VN later, it has reams of depressing and dark material. The vast majority of what happens is dark and miserable... I don't really get the contrast here myself.

Joe Mello wrote:

2002 Kanon wasn't an OVA. Its not very good, but I get the impression it doesn't skew so far from the VN, just the standard rush? Though not played the VN.

Interesting aside though- has there ever been a total remake of an anime quicker than Kanon 2002 to Kanon 2006? Which is I suppose a sign the IP owners thought it was rubbish, or at least didn't tap out the franchise.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Eilavel wrote:
Interesting aside though- has there ever been a total remake of an anime quicker than Kanon 2002 to Kanon 2006? Which is I suppose a sign the IP owners thought it was rubbish, or at least didn't tap out the franchise.

If one wants to be pedantic, Eat-Man '98 was a complete "remake" from the 1997 Eat-Man anime & came out literally just one year later, but only in the sense that '98 was actually a direct adaptation of the manga, while '97 was its own thing entirely & was only loosely related to the manga through its lead character, though said character was portrayed notably different in the '97 anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2