• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Worst Anime of Spring 2024

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:11 am Reply with quote
I wanted to like Unnamed Memory. I'm still convinced there is a good story there somewhere, that I'll probably never read. But what was put to screen felt like someone summarized the CliffsNotes for the story, and then streamlined it further. It felt like a very random show, not because that was the intent, but because the relationships between events, character, and the concept of cause and effect themselves got stretched beyond their breaking points. It was really bad.
champeagle3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:22 am Reply with quote
Odd place to find Girls Band Cry mentions, but I'll take it.

Keep up the good fight.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:23 am Reply with quote
Your just wrong about Slime. Season Three is just as good as the other seasons.

Last edited by cyberdraco on Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:25 am Reply with quote
My guess is: They watched it, but can't say they have, and they have to express their frustrations somehow.

It's just speculation on my part. Feel free to ignore this comment. Smile
costmuffled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:31 am Reply with quote
Girls Band Cry was tres bien. I understand the frustration of the slighted audience, but we're here to pick loser anime, right? I suppose all of the other choices are really good candidates
except for the midrange Unnamed Memory. The one dumpster fire I didn't see here was "The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases". Or maybe it got better after its spectacular faceplant? I can't care.

For most disappointing, it's a toss-up between slime and no-Nezuko. Neither one managed to get anywhere, but at least Demon Slayer looked good while being bad. Oblivion Battery let me down too, but my expectations weren't as high, so it just gets a dishonorable mention.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:34 am Reply with quote
Ah, Toei. I can’t prove it’s them who dropped the ball on Girls Band Cry, but I will say that given their track record, it’s most likely them. I wonder if it was a case of arbitrary super draconian rules the major streaming platforms weren’t able/willing to abide by (and yes I’m still salty about forcing everyone to use their questionable “official” English subtitles for Sailor Moon Crystal.)
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:59 am Reply with quote
That's some real good clickbait making it seem like the best show of the season, GBC, is among the "worst". You got me
killa5k7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:06 am Reply with quote
So happy to see Demon Slayer borderline being bad. I enjoyed the heck out of the series up until Mugen Train and ever since it's been dragging on. Prime example of hype. They saw money and ran with it to the extreme.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:14 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
That's some real good clickbait making it seem like the best show of the season, GBC, is among the "worst". You got me

I was ready to get out my torch and pitchfork if Gāruzu Bando Kurai (Girls Band Cry) had been chosen as worst of the season. Nice that a couple of reviews were posted under the guise of complaining of it not being licensed with English subtitles.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:17 am Reply with quote
Remonster was definitely dull, even though it occasionally tried to be kind of edgy. Basically every episode ended with me saying, "Oh, ok." One thing that sort of made it hard to even care about the characters was how it used names. The humans are referred to by their jobs and/or physical characteristics for the majority of the time. It was mildly annoying, but I thought maybe humans went by job classes sort of like how a lot of names today are derived from jobs in history. Nope, they had names but those weren't worth mentioning until the last couple of episodes.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
The only one I kinda regret watching is the Crunchyroll Saint Seiya remake. I don't know who had the bright idea to make it CGI when the armors or Cloths lack the appeal we normally see in Kurumada, Teshirogi or the late Araki's works.

The fights coregraphy tend to get even worse especially when you realize the opening video uses recycled animation from the fights rather than give unique movements. The violence was toned down especially when attacks require blood to show its effects. The old Toei movies had no problems with showing violence as in one example Seiya defeats Atlas with a special technique while jumping and shattering his armor in pieces. Here this doesn't happen. Maybe this didn't age well considering Saga's characterization has been recycled in Next Dimension in Odysseus and the past Gemini Saint.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:33 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
My guess is: They watched it, but can't say they have, and they have to express their frustrations somehow.

It's just speculation on my part. Feel free to ignore this comment. Smile

Not hard to guess when you can go to twitter and see them reacting to the episodes and posting screencaps as they watch
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If anything, Western audiences will likely be more receptive to CG productions.

Dunno. I get the feeling more than half of the EN-speaking anime fans on the internet still don't like 3DCG anime, saying "They are ugly" or "Don't try to imitate the hand-drawn animation by reducing in-between frames. It's simply not working".

Somehow people blaming Toei, but I'm not surprised licensors know 3DCG anime won't appeal to casual anime fans, even if it's considered good anime, thus didn't license it.

Last edited by Kamieichi on Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:45 am Reply with quote
Definitely Unamed Memory for me. Nothing in this adaptation works. W/out even reading the source it feels so rushed, and for what? The fight scenes look average at best and there were multiple points they could have stopped at for the season. So, again, why the hurry?
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:55 am Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:

Not hard to guess when you can go to twitter and see them reacting to the episodes and posting screencaps as they watch

I was unaware of this fact. Gutsy of them. I respect that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5