• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Pierrot Announces Production on New Magical Girl TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:29 am Reply with quote
Good news! I hope that new anime would be as amazing as their works in this genre!
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:50 am Reply with quote
i wouldn't mind something like last year Otona Precure featuring Yu, Perusha, Mai, Yumi and Miho years later in their previously fleeting adult/teenage form, although I enjoyed all of them, i can't imagine a similar serie working in modern time without denaturalization but i might be wrong.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:27 am Reply with quote
Should be interesting to see what they come up with.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, count me interested! Between this and Princession Orchestra I feel a good future for classic magical girls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amritzer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I feel a good future for classic magical girls.
Considering the popularity of Precure in Japan, I think magical girls will always be around, especially because it is probably the most beloved genre by young girls.
YackDe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
Saeryen wrote:
I feel a good future for classic magical girls.
Considering the popularity of Precure in Japan, I think magical girls will always be around, especially because it is probably the most beloved genre by young girls.

The issue wasn't whether they'll always be around, it's a matter of diversity. Precure is great, but for years it has also essentially been the only game in town. You either watched it, or you watched ecchi parodies of magical girls made for an entirely different demographic.
MyrmidonMamori

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:46 pm Reply with quote
An actual magical girl show, and not a parody or a twist on the genre? I feel like there hasn't been one of those that's not Precure or a remake since the early or mid 2000s!
Amritzer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of magical girls, I wonder if new Minky Momo anime will ever happen - never watched series, but really liked Minky Momo in the Bridge Over Dreams.

Other than that, if Toei ever again make another Sailor Moon anime, I would like it to be "inspired" by 90s anime, full of character development / bonding fillers, and overall simply not adapting manga 1:1.

Very unlikely, yes.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
Other than that, if Toei ever again make another Sailor Moon anime, I would like it to be "inspired" by 90s anime, full of character development / bonding fillers, and overall simply not adapting manga 1:1.

The 90s anime was aimed at young girls, so it could afford to have filler episodes (plus the manga was ongoing).

As for Crystal, it was aimed at older audiences and seemed to be fitting in with the trends for anime shows of that demographic (direct manga adaptions, shorter seasons etc.) The movies, however, are a different story,.

Quote:
Precure is great, but for years it has also essentially been the only game in town. You either watched it, or you watched ecchi parodies of magical girls made for an entirely different demographic.

We've had the Pretty Series if you count the magical idol subgenre (Aikatsu might count too, depending on opinion). There was also Jewelpet (depends) and Mewkledreamy.
YackDe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:
We've had the Pretty Series if you count the magical idol subgenre (Aikatsu might count too, depending on opinion). There was also Jewelpet (depends) and Mewkledreamy.

Outside of a movie there hasn't been anything Jewelpet in 9 years, and while Mewkledreamy isn't that bad it's still been 2 years. And would not count Pretty series, it seems pretty delineated from magical girl to me.
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that they aren't counting Tokyo Mew Mew or Sugar Sugar Rune among their prior magical girl series, maybe because those are manga adaptations?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Guaranteed that I'll be tuning in if they get Akemi Takada to do the character designs like she did with Creamy Mami and Fancy Lala!
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:52 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
Interesting that they aren't counting Tokyo Mew Mew or Sugar Sugar Rune among their prior magical girl series, maybe because those are manga adaptations?

Probably that but the "I want you to sing it again." message and the picture having only 2 characters from differente age is implying that it might be another idol magical girl anime like those 5 series in which the future girl will become older after transforming and scouted as idol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1