• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suicide Squad Isekai (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Suicide Squad Isekai (TV)

Source: Original (based on DC Comics' Suicide Squad)

Demographic:

Animation Studio: Wit Studio

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, fantasy

Themes: anti-heroes, isekai, supervillains

Plot Summary: In the crime-ridden Gotham City, Amanda Waller, the head of A.R.G.U.S., has assembled a group of notorious criminals for a mission: Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Peacemaker, Clayface, and King Shark.

These DC Super-Villains are sent into an otherworldly realm that's connected to this world through a gate. It's a world of swords and magic where orcs rampage and dragons rule the skies—an “ISEKAI.” Harley and others go on a rampage after arriving in ISEKAI but are captured by the Kingdom's soldiers and sent to prison. They only have 72 hours before the bomb on their neck explodes.

The deadline is fast approaching. After negotiations with Queen Aldora, the condition for liberation was the conquest of the hostile Imperial army. They have no choice but to throw themselves head-first into the front line of battle.

Air Date & Platform:
(U.S. debut) June 27, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: HBO Max, Hulu

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:02 am Reply with quote
Suicide Squad is one of the shows I was looking forward to most due to how unique of a premise it is. We have had plenty of isekai and in recent years said isekai have used all sorts of gimmicks to try an appeal to the viewer, having some villains from the DC Universe go to another world is a first. Having seen the first 3 episodes I would call the result good with maybe potential for great.

The show makes the most of the members of Suicide Squad and they are indeed a barely functioning group of psychos. Between Shark eating everyone, Clayface being high on his own farts and Deadshot being a proper asshole etc they are a wild bunch. The jokes fit the characters perfectly and the whole situation is completely absurd in a good way. The show is simply a whole lot of fun to watch.

Otherwise the animation is also pretty wild (for good and bad) and I like how the show plays with the isekai concept. The story is a bit simple so far but I was not expecting much from it anyway.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:40 am Reply with quote
Nice visual design; good cast and dynamics between them; better than expected world building and politics. Overall, looks to be a well above average Isekai show.

The one thing I will say is that, for me, its just not very funny. Lightly amusing at its best. Maybe that'll come together but its doing enough aside from that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:03 am Reply with quote
Episodes 1 - 3

I am enjoying myself. Although I did feel like giving notes at the start, when the Joker started talking about changing the world or something, which in my mind is a bit off the mark of the Joker's usual bit. The Joker usually believes the world is already crazy, he only shows the truth. Similarly, I really hope the romanticization of the Joker and Harley isn't played straight, because he doesn't actually care about her.

I was into the reveal of Clayface and King Shark on the same team, although Clayface is apparently less than of a muscle. Good playing into him being a diva of a failed actor, it being mentioned, because it felt right that he really could be a huge threat, but mostly extend as far as his ambitions, which usually not quite the same level. The entire time he was behind the bars I kept thinking he could just go through them. Similarly, none of it was probably going to hold King Shark back as soon as he decided he didn't want to stay there anymore, the dude fight Superboy.

Regarding a theory, Rick Flag looking at Harley as evidence of Amanda getting serious makes me suspect Poison Ivy was sent in the previous group. Harley being a possible weakness to Ivy, like in the Batman and Harley Quinn animated movie. Perhaps they thought they could control Ivy, before she got a big power boost.

I do think there were some funny bits, such them all dobbing on Clayface for waiting so long that he could have walked out and was being a dramatic ass about it. Also with Rick Flag not realising that he was talking insultingly with the lingo he picked up, and then the idea of him needing to rely on villain protagonists proving their worth with his head on the line. It can be done wrong, but them all being not-so-nice-people with their own quirks and violent is fun.

Also, Amanda Waller dancing in the ED has to be mentioned.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:52 am Reply with quote
What keeps Clayface from just liquefying his neck and plucking out the bomb?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What keeps Clayface from just liquefying his neck and plucking out the bomb?

I was thinking the same thing.

I guess I could come up with the answer that they seem to have some sort of technology to keep him in a human shape on the helicopter, perhaps Amanda Waller had something made that would stay imbedded. Or would require something different from the same bombs of the others that he couldn't remove.

Or something silly like he has been told that playing the role of someone who has a bomb in his head would be really impressive. The Arkham city game has him pretending to be Joker simply because he considered it a good role.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:54 am Reply with quote
I don't know enough about the character to say, but even if it blew up, would it kill him? Unless it nuked a few city blocks and scattered his bits to the four winds.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:32 am Reply with quote
The versions I know about Clayface usually have him able to survive having his head blown up. Pieces of his body can even disconnect and gain their own sentience. What I can recall, you require very high damage that he would be small pieces, hitting him with a lot of water, or something like freezing or heating him up.

He is actually rather powerful for a Batman villain, with maybe only Solomon Grundy being harder to kill (or stay dead), and surprisingly versatile in shapeshifting. And yet most of the time I think he is just used as a big monster.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:13 am Reply with quote
You are correct, lore wise Clayface should be able to rid himself of the bomb and even if it were to go of it should not kill him. It might be that his version of the bomb is slightly different than the others or maybe the writers did not care enough to worry about it.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:13 am Reply with quote
1:

Wait... that's Clayface??

Remember years ago, Marvel had an anime mini-series together with Madhouse? I vividly remember that. I remember being very excited about it too. And I remember never to get excited at any anime adaptation of a Western comic series ever again. Ergo, I didn't go into this show expecting any huge.

Guess what? That was the right decision.

Frankly, I have no issues with the premise at all. The characters are fairly accurate depictions of their original characterization (except Clayface, I don't know this version this one is at all). I have one look at each of them and I go "ah, seems right enough".

I do wonder, what is the point of this show? But like a typical Suicide Squad story, the answer would be: yes. Isekai is an obsession of a genre in manga/anime world, so somebody is thinking, why not bring DC Universe on the isekai bandwagon too? Somebody must think that this would be fun.

In a way, I am a bit relieved that this is a light-hearted--, no wait, I mean, a show I don't have to take seriously (Suicide Squad is never meant to be taken seriously, ammarite). So sure, let's go with this.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 was the best one yet in my opinion. We got some proper worldbuilding for the fantasy setting, the princess seems to be a character that will have to grow stronger in order to voice her opinion and she may need to rush that since the queen is looking like a loony at the end. I also loved how many small interactions they put in the episode such as the soldiers of both worlds bonding over the fact that they are dealing with idiots and shitty orders. The Joker bit was also rather stylish.

On a side note, with all the early premieres on streaming services and such it is getting tricky to keep track of a how far all the shows are episode wise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1