• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest I & II Games Get HD-2D Remake; Dragon Quest III HD-2D Game Launches on Novemb

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Great, I can finally play these games.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:41 pm Reply with quote
That's great and everything... but why the III one first?

I get that the chronology is Dragon Quest III --> Dragon Quest I --> Dragon Quest II, but, part of the coolness of DQIII was realizing who were you playing with the whole time.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

There is no official reason why, but I'd guess it's a combination of two things:
1. DQ3 is one of the most iconic, influential JRPGs of all time, and although I & II were popular, III definitely had the largest cultural impact. It makes sense to release it first to appeal to customer demand. It's also honestly a much better game than I & II, and there may be some concern that releasing I & II first would dampen enthusiasm for III.
3. They probably started working on III first and then, after it was far along in development, decided to also remake I & II, and so III is simply going to be ready to release first.
Wangen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:20 pm Reply with quote
About 2 years ago I've played DQ1 modded with names changed to Japanese ones.

It was my second DQ Game after DQ8.

I Just loved the simplicity of it, such a charming Game.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

They probably started working on III first and then, after it was far along in development, decided to also remake I & II, and so III is simply going to be ready to release first.

That's a big part of it. They didn't initially have plans to do I&II according to the devs apparently but the ravenous frenzy the announcement of III stirred up is very possibly going to even drag Chrono Trigger into this style of remake as well if this trilogy sells like the hotcakes that the online fervor is already signalling (in Japan).

You can actually go and grab the HD remasters of the DQ trilogy right now on Switch, but I think that like Sega remaking Phantasy Star I & II with the Sega Ages series and filling in extra story moments (gawd I miss those) the original two Dragon Quest titles in particular are VERY barebones by modern standards - it's really hard to recommend them over the bombastic later entries like 5, 7, or 8. The release of III first to set the stage for the other two games is strategic so as to allow newer players to have a better context for how cut & dry an RPG adventure the other two are comparatively.

Final Fantasy I has a similar issue and is why SE has usually opted to do FF Mobius, Stranger of Paradise, and Dissidia sorts of stuff whenever they return to Final Fantasy I - the original just doesn't have the most elaborate stuff going on in it compared to even FFIV, so I would still probably suggest new players start with DQIII and then do the others afterwards.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Half of Japan just lost its mind with this. This is like someone saying they're remaking the original Star Wars trilogy. I wonder what they're going to do with I and II considering how much more basic they are than III
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:20 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Vanadise wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

They probably started working on III first and then, after it was far along in development, decided to also remake I & II, and so III is simply going to be ready to release first.

That's a big part of it. They didn't initially have plans to do I&II according to the devs apparently but the ravenous frenzy the announcement of III stirred up is very possibly going to even drag Chrono Trigger into this style of remake as well if this trilogy sells like the hotcakes that the online fervor is already signalling (in Japan).

You can actually go and grab the HD remasters of the DQ trilogy right now on Switch, but I think that like Sega remaking Phantasy Star I & II with the Sega Ages series and filling in extra story moments (gawd I miss those) the original two Dragon Quest titles in particular are VERY barebones by modern standards - it's really hard to recommend them over the bombastic later entries like 5, 7, or 8. The release of III first to set the stage for the other two games is strategic so as to allow newer players to have a better context for how cut & dry an RPG adventure the other two are comparatively.

Final Fantasy I has a similar issue and is why SE has usually opted to do FF Mobius, Stranger of Paradise, and Dissidia sorts of stuff whenever they return to Final Fantasy I - the original just doesn't have the most elaborate stuff going on in it compared to even FFIV, so I would still probably suggest new players start with DQIII and then do the others afterwards.

I'm here for all of that. I'm glad they started with 3 because it's like going back to FF1. It's cool and someone like me would play it - but it's obviously dated and niche in terms of game overall nowadays.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

There is no official reason why, but I'd guess it's a combination of two things:
1. DQ3 is one of the most iconic, influential JRPGs of all time, and although I & II were popular, III definitely had the largest cultural impact. It makes sense to release it first to appeal to customer demand. It's also honestly a much better game than I & II, and there may be some concern that releasing I & II first would dampen enthusiasm for III.
3. They probably started working on III first and then, after it was far along in development, decided to also remake I & II, and so III is simply going to be ready to release first.

Also, I don't know if there's an official announcement, but I would not be surprised if DQI & II were being released as one collection, since DQIII is the length of both of them combined.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:12 am Reply with quote
Finally out of Nintendo and mobile jail

Square Enix has been recently going multi-platform something fierce, trying to recoup lost revenue after its disappointing exclusivity deals
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1