• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nippon Ichi Software Announces Phantom Brave: The Lost Hero Game for Switch, PS5, PS4, PC

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was Disgaea for a second.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:38 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I thought this was Disgaea for a second.

It is, same universe, but takes place on a human world rather than the Netherworld that characters like Laharl inhabit.

This announcement along with Marvel was probably the most impactful in the entire showing. NIS has been on the back-foot for their last couple game releases and the revival of Phantom Brave leaves open the potential for the Disgaea series to get a much-needed shot in the arm & revive its momentum.

I myself am not the largest fan of Phantom Brave since it uses a more RTS-leaning combat style than tactical one like Disgaea or Fire Emblem, but if the story is exceptionally engaging, Marona already looks hella-cute and they'll almost-assuredly bring Laharl and Etna in once the endgame opens up.

It's tradition for the newest game to continue the stories of older characters so this will make for an interesting stepping stone while everyone waits to see what the next big Disgaea project looks like. I hope it turns out well and gets a PC release fast - the Switch footage looks like it's burning a hole in that poor handheld.

There's a free demo of the original you can check out about it for PC and I'd say it's definitely worth taking a look at it now.
Dumas1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, well, this is certainly interesting news. I played the hell out of the original Phantom Brave back in the day and I'd love to see more of Marona and Ash's story. I liked the freer movement and targeting compared to most SRPGs, and the sheer variety of weapons and skills was amazing. Even a healer could develop powerful attacks based on her best stats and affinities instead of trying to dual-spec as a mage or something.

On the other hand, I'm no longer quite able to sink hundreds of hours into a game grinding through random dungeons to get strong enough to take on crazy bonus bosses. I own all the Switch rereleases, but I'm really intimidated by the thought of starting up Makai Kingdom again and getting all the post-game characters again and trying to take on that battleship.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:47 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I myself am not the largest fan of Phantom Brave since it uses a more RTS-leaning combat style than tactical one like Disgaea or Fire Emblem, but if the story is exceptionally engaging, Marona already looks hella-cute and they'll almost-assuredly bring Laharl and Etna in once the endgame opens up.

It's not an RTS at all; just an SRPG without grids and with physics when it comes to movement. The whole thing is still turn-based.

The grid-free nature of Phantom Brave is my biggest annoyance with it. Other than that, it's one of Nippon Ichi's finest games, with an excellent story, charming art and voice acting, and one of Tenpei Sato's best soundtracks. Those factors are why I've played the game twice, despite not loving the movement system.

I hope this new one fine tunes the gridless movement-- more Valkyria Chronicles and less, well, OG Phantom Brave.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:17 pm Reply with quote
A new Phantom Brave game!? Marona and Ash are back!? It even sounds like they got Sandy Fox back.

Plus...fusions!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1