• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus Recasts Tōru Furuya in Metaphor: ReFantazio Game

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't think they'd actually recast him in anything.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:53 pm Reply with quote
When I saw this guy was getting recast I assumed they caught him with a gram of weed or something. Aren't these just Japanese/American family values?
48 Rices

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:11 am Reply with quote
If this thing happened in the western entertainment world, would they be also recast?
Wangen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:11 am Reply with quote
I still find it insane that someone could destroy their good name like this, I mean, after decades of fame, and being one of the living legends in Japan, in his old years.

Like, wow.
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:26 am Reply with quote
Recasting a character that no one knows is easy. I'm curious to see what happens to the likes of Sabo and Yamcha, but we'll find out about those rather soon.
Curemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:42 am Reply with quote
48 Rices wrote:
If this thing happened in the western entertainment world, would they be also recast?

Some does, some doesn't, depends on the company who handles them, and how much the production progressed, since we already had cases like Amber Heard, Jonathan Majors, and Erza Miller, in which all three of them have different treatment for their characters (Heard's role as Mera was reduced greatly in Aquaman 2, Majors' Marvel role as Kang was cut-off + likely replaced, while Miller is still playing as The Flash).

Wangen wrote:
I still find it insane that someone could destroy their good name like this, I mean, after decades of fame, and being one of the living legends in Japan, in his old years.

Like, wow.

He's probably tired covering it up for many years, and decides to just tell the truth, since he's already old + about to retire, and it's still much better compared to carrying it to the grave, IMHO.
Wangen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:56 am Reply with quote
Curemaster wrote:

He's probably tired covering it up for many years, and decides to just tell the truth, since he's already old + about to retire, and it's still much better compared to carrying it to the grave, IMHO.
Ok, but my reply was more like, he didn't need to get into the relationship in the first place.
ryukage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:04 am Reply with quote
[quote="Curemaster"]
48 Rices wrote:

Someone was about to publish an expose detailing all of this without the veneer of remorse he could apply by admitting guilt first. The jig was up.
YoshiChao

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:31 am Reply with quote
He'll most likely only get recast in unreleased new roles specifically.

Like Takahiro Sakurai, he's probs gonna be stuck to reprisal roles only for the next couple years, or the rest of his career (albeit what remains of it at his age).
Stelman257

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:50 am Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense wrote:
When I saw this guy was getting recast I assumed they caught him with a gram of weed or something.

Weed isn't anywhere near the level of abuse he inflicted on someone, if only it was just weed.
48 Rices wrote:

For voice actors especially most likely, we had situations like Vic Mignogna in the past who now no longer works in the industry at all. Some already gave examples of how Hollywood stars don't get off easy either. As was said, he'll most likely be stuck to reprisals only and not be cast for any new roles anymore, like what's happened with Takahiro Sakurai. The Western World goes even further and straight blacklists some people, so they don't even get to reprise old roles unlike how Japan does it.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:11 am Reply with quote
Sorry, what's that "Western World"?

If you want to say "America" (United States of), say it. Don't lump everyone "not Japanese" in the same group. That's as wrong as saying all Japanese share a common mind.

Unfortunately, there have been "celebrities" scandals in countries all around the world and I can't remember an unique reaction in any of the places.
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:29 am Reply with quote
The girl went to the magazine and told them everything then they contacted him so he went there and admitted everything in an interview..

Fans are waiting for his conan character recast.
juaifan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:39 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
The Western World goes even further and straight blacklists some people, so they don't even get to reprise old roles unlike how Japan does it.

Admittedly I don't follow celebrity gossip but I don't think I've ever heard of someone getting blacklisted for adultery. Meanwhile actual murderers, rapists, druggies, and all kinds of people still work in Hollywood and get roles Unless maybe they're associated with a kids brand. Although even Nickelodeon still associates with Snoop Dogg.
Wangen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:45 am Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:

Fans are waiting for his conan character recast.
This one will be especially weird considering he was created based on Furuya, and his role of Amuro.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:29 am Reply with quote
Curemaster wrote:
48 Rices wrote:

Some does, some doesn't, depends on the company who handles them, and how much the production progressed, since we already had cases like Amber Heard, Jonathan Majors, and Erza Miller, in which all three of them have different treatment for their characters (Heard's role as Mera was reduced greatly in Aquaman 2, Majors' Marvel role as Kang was cut-off + likely replaced, while Miller is still playing as The Flash).

Wangen wrote:

Like, wow.

No, he don't plan to retire, don't write nonsence. Sad news, I hope that his active roles won't be recasted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3