• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dahlia in Bloom Anime to Redo Scenes Suspected to Be Animated in N. Korea

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:39 pm Reply with quote
This turned into a bigger deal than I expected.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
some work was outsourced from anime production studio Typhoon Graphics to a Japanese production company, which then outsourced the work to a Chinese production company, which again outsourced to another Chinese company

Um, is this industry standard now? You outsource to an outsource to an outsource to an outsource to an outsource etc etc etc.....
Smongo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:44 pm Reply with quote
At this point, studios outsource grunt work to save money & not pay staff more than they’re paying them. Now they’ve outsourced to someone else that will outsource that to someone else who outsource that and so on. I wouldn’t be surprised if NK is producing their state approved big budget anime or making a state run anime studio to air on tv for their people to watch because they literally have a few tv channels to watch and they’ll throw u into jail, kill you, or punish u if u streaming or use anything not approved by the state. Just wanting to give their citizen a little crumb of entertainment.
Glordit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:49 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Quote:
some work was outsourced from anime production studio Typhoon Graphics to a Japanese production company, which then outsourced the work to a Chinese production company, which again outsourced to another Chinese company

Um, is this industry standard now? You outsource to an outsource to an outsource to an outsource to an outsource etc etc etc.....

I's pretty common in and around specific types of business (in my part of the world). I've delt with it plenty of times. To put it into perspective:

Production is paying $10 a page to company A.
Company A is paying $5 a page to Company B.
Company B is paying $2 a page to Company C.
Company C does the job, everyone gets paid, and the work (mostly) gets done.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:59 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:

We heard you like outsourcing so we hit you with more outsourcing.

Glordit wrote:

Company C does the job, everyone gets paid, and the work (mostly) gets done.

Mostly? I’m going to need a way more bigger level of complete than that.
chronos02

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't surprise me one bit that outsourcing has ended up so far from the point of origin, and thus, uncontrollable. I'd bet a bunch other projects have had N korean involvement in recent years, but finding out is almost impossible, unless something like in this case happens, and it gets found out randomly.

And about the chain outsourcing we see in this case...
it happens here as well.

Company A outsourced to company B
Company B outsourced to company C
Company C outsourced to company D
Company D did the work.

By the way, I was D.

Almost feels like the chain of distribution for vegetables and fruits...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with outsourcing, as long as Company A enforces quality control, and the Production Committee gets what they expect. No one should get paid for crappy work.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:48 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I have no problem with outsourcing, as long as Company A enforces quality control, and the Production Committee gets what they expect. No one should get paid for crappy work.

Outsourcing is the reason so much anime looks like garbage these days, because the money goes through a chain of companies who all take some and then the actual animators are left with crumbs
Like there's a reason everything Kyoani does looks good and it's because it's done in-house, their animators get plenty off time to do their work and they get paid a living wage

It's pretty cruel to want people to not make crap when the payment they receive is crap
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1