• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Silent Hill 2 Remake's Trailer Reveals October 8 Launch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funkfoot

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:46 am Reply with quote
I still have no idea how Bloober landed this gig. It's almost criminal how badly Silent Hill has been treated for decades now. Not a fan of all these remakes of old, good games that end up looking worse and completely missing the point of the original in general. This is the year of lazy remakes.
kuma991

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 4:18 am Reply with quote
The Medium was basically Silent Hill in Poland. Akira Yamaoka also did the music for that game. And tbh, The Medium was visually better than this. Every SH2R trailer looks like they were in over their heads and made compromises on every step of the way.

$30 of that $70 price tag is just nostalgia and legacy.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 4:48 am Reply with quote
Definitely getting this one!
light turner

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 5:35 am Reply with quote
"Pre-order now for exclusive skins, 48 hours early access, and console exclusive cosmetics"

Just like I remember the old Silent Hill 2.
Wangen

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:07 am Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
Some of you people should really move on from the early 2000s.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:26 am Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:
light turner wrote:

Nah, that user has a point. Those crappy practices should be called out at all times.
I'm someone who likes what I'm seeing in this remake so far, but this sort of BS should not be a thing in the gaming industry. Not nowadays, nor ever.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 9:08 am Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:
light turner wrote:

It is a current and modern standard, so it is good.
Now stop being stuck in the past and enjoy the new and original Konami video game... *checks notes* Silent Hill 2. You couldn't have gotten something like that in the early 2000's!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 9:29 am Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
I still have no idea how Bloober landed this gig. It's almost criminal how badly Silent Hill has been treated for decades now. Not a fan of all these remakes of old, good games that end up looking worse and completely missing the point of the original in general. This is the year of lazy remakes.

It's not that strange. Konami has been handing off Silent Hill to European dev studios after Silent Hill 4, and Poland is especially gaining a reputation for relatively cheap labor costs for a growing talent pool. Bloober is at least one with experience in the genre instead of a novice studio in over its head like they've done before.
Wangen

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 9:32 am Reply with quote
I love remakes, and I never whine about them.
If it was Up to me, and I honestly say this, every season would have at least 3 remakes.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 9:39 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Wangen wrote:
light turner wrote:

Nah, that user has a point. Those crappy practices should be called out at all times.
I'm someone who likes what I'm seeing in this remake so far, but this sort of BS should not be a thing in the gaming industry. Not nowadays, nor ever.

Yeah, this is just a negative business practice and not a comment on games being "better back in the day."

Reviews will almost certainly not go up until the official release date, so that "early access" comes at the cost of no critical opinion. Plus, you have to shell out for the deluxe edition. If it follows industry trends, then that edition will also be be digital-only, so no option of a physical version. And there is the ridiculousness of 'early access' on a single-player game. Multiplayer games do this banking on the FOMO of missing that first weekend of play, but that doesn't even matter here. It's just monetizing the inability to wait a couple days on a schedule that is entirely up to the publisher.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 9:56 am Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:

The irony of saying this when this is a remake of game from the early 2000s. It seems like companies could benefit the most from this advice.

Everytime I see one of these remakes and notice all the things they changed in the new version for modern audiences all I can do is think of that one Simpsons scene where they edited Gone With the Wind and then Hans Moleman gets carted off by nurses and treated as crazy when he notices the difference..
Wangen

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:15 am Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
Wangen wrote:

The irony of saying this when this is a remake of game from the early 2000s. It seems like companies could benefit the most from this advice.

Everytime I see one of these remakes and notice all the things they changed in the new version for modern audiences all I can do is think of that one Simpsons scene where they edited Gone With the Wind and then Hans Moleman gets carted off by nurses and treated as crazy when he notices the difference..
You missed my point.

Stop gloryfying old things like they are above being improved by modern technology.

Last edited by Wangen on Fri May 31, 2024 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Bertram

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:16 am Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
Now stop being stuck in the past and enjoy the new and original Konami video game... *checks notes* Silent Hill 2. You couldn't have gotten something like that in the early 2000's!

They won't stop reworking every old piece of media for "modern standards" and if you hate that and simply choose to consume older media then those too will be tarnished in an attempt to rewrite history.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:47 am Reply with quote
Bertram wrote:
Pandsu wrote:

They won't stop reworking every old piece of media for "modern standards" and if you hate that and simply choose to consume older media then those too will be tarnished in an attempt to rewrite history.

Or maybe I just hate CERTAIN modern standards, like those brought up in this thread. And maybe I was also just bringing up the irony of dismissing it with 'stop living in the past' in regards to a product designed mostly to cash in on that nostalgia.

I consume plenty of old and modern media. Probably about a 50-50 split and I'm usually the one going against the 'kids these days' mentality or claiming that stuff was so much better in the past. Plenty of awesome stuff and plenty of trash both now and back in the day.

But I do think remaking something (well) requires a certain amount of respect for the source material. And greedy, cynical practices like pre-order exclusive skins and early access kinda don't portray that respect at all, besides some other stuff seen in trailers for this remake. It just all doesn't exactly bode well.
Might still be a decent remake, and I'm withholding judgement until it's actually out, but I'm not exactly holding my breath that it'll be on par with something like, say, the Resident Evil remakes either. Those were actually pretty great even if some people hate how different they are.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:
You missed my point.

Stop gloryfying old things like they are above being improved by modern technology.

You clearly missed the point light turner was making then. Their entire comment was a single point, not two. It was about the predatory practices companies use to pressure people to buy games early, not “PS2 era games were better”.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2