• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in The Shell Gets New TV Anime Series in 2026 by Science Saru

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 4:21 am Reply with quote
Bandai Namco? Then I assume the deal with Science Saru was made before Toho takeover.

Edit: Oops, the takeover is only effective this June.
Wangen

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 4:26 am Reply with quote
You mean, like a...

Remake? Embarassed
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 4:50 am Reply with quote
They did announce they had something coming tla few years ago. I gurss this is it.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 5:06 am Reply with quote
Well, this was unexpected. Anything GITS related is always good news in my book and after the horrid CGI SAC 2045 this can only be an improvement. Cautiously optimistic for the moment...
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 5:30 am Reply with quote
So, after 35+ years, we could possibly get the actual Ghost in the Shell adaptation that is based on Shirow plot? By Science SARU of all studios?

God dang it, I am in.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 6:21 am Reply with quote
I'd take anything from a remake of the 95 movie in TV format more faithful to the manga or sequels to the following mostly animated original series or its spin-off Ghost Urn, can't say that Science Saru would have been my top choice though.
Bertram

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:11 am Reply with quote
Please don't let it be CG.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:37 am Reply with quote
Bertram wrote:
Please don't let it be CG.
Considering Science SARU never done full 3DCG series in the first place - it's pretty safe to say that it will be 2D.
pi8you

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 8:12 am Reply with quote
Oh damn, are we finally getting a GitS adaptation that at least looks like the manga if not more closely follows its plot (and isn't a collection of PS1 cutscenes)?! That is amazing news to wake up to for this longtime Shirow diehard. 2026 is gonna be a long wait though D:
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 10:05 am Reply with quote
The original manga trilogy aged like stale piss, especially 2.0, and are comically sexist. GitS 2.0 is the very first manga that I had a negative reaction to so it has a special place in my heart. The social commentary is further a Cold War relic that felt decades out of date only years later but that´s not all on Shirow. Neuromancer doesn´t make a lick of sense either these days. I would argue that Shirow´s trilogy is unadaptable, Mamoru Oshii literally said that about the first volume and it is the most lucid, and Science SARU has a history of adaptations that have little to do with the plots of their source material. So I ain't worried about the key art sticking this closely to how the 89/90 manga and the PSX game (it's ok). 1.5 and then 2.0 have their own separate character designs btw.

There hasn´t been a bad anime yet so bring it but the amount of separate continuities at this point is comical. Even America released an anthology volume around the cursed film and so did Japan. There are over a dozen versions of the principal characters at this point. Shirow even regularly reuses Motoko´s designs in his hentai but GitS 2.0 has lesbian tentacle sex so it´s not that far a bridge.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 10:19 am Reply with quote
Neat, just get the cast back and I'm back
Riliont

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 10:34 am Reply with quote
Im still salty with the art direction they took Stand Alone Complex in after 2 amazingggg seasons prior. Such a silly choice... Even Arise was better. Im happy we are getting more GITS atleast. Maybe it will make up for that shite on Netflix.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 11:04 am Reply with quote
I am actually interested in this GitS anime.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 11:29 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
There are over a dozen versions of the principal characters at this point. Shirow even regularly reuses Motoko´s designs in his hentai but GitS 2.0 has lesbian tentacle sex so it´s not that far a bridge.

Could’ve left this last bit out.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 11:39 am Reply with quote
It's really interesting Bandai is the second logo on that trailer because Gundam is another anime series they're involved in that's in a bit of a "production hell" when it comes to attempting to discern what sort of story to feature for an anime production. Not dissimilar to Gundam and the higher points of the UC timeline, Ghost in The Shell is in a really wonky space right now where the two seasons of Stand Alone Complex that were on Toonami are probably going to remain the highlight of the entire franchise for the foreseeable future. EVERYONE to this day, has seen The Laughing Man logo in the anime community, even if they don't know the full meaning behind it.

I never hear people talking about Arise at all much less positively, and the newer Netflix CGI for SAC seemed a smidge more about spectacle than story (at least in the first season) and I am constantly catching viewers say they're conflicted by its quality. On the one hand, I as a fan am only really interested in more Stand Alone Complex universe being continued with the voice cast from the Toonami showings, but then I also realise that the CGI show has probably burned that bridge to a point that it's likely not reasonable to be expecting more SAC ever again.

If they go back and do a re-do of the original movie, then there's no way they're going to capture the same success or vibe - part of what makes the original movie memorable is the snapshot of the time in which it was made, and as a longtime fan, I'm not at all in the mood to see these characters get another reboot for the umpteenth time. It's in a similar vein of announcing a new hypothetical Cowboy Bebop show tomorrow - it's not reasonable to expect the existing story to continue, we pretty definitively know where the characters wind up, modern animation tech is in no way going to make the visuals look any more impressive and runs the risk of going the way of a modern Disney remake....

I'm excited to be proven wrong if they can pull off something unexpected, but hearing we're getting more Ghost in the Shell gives me a level of apprehension that runs similar to hearing Pixar is planning a new Toy Story movie. The franchise is good and memorable, but I'm more expecting they're making something new to keep the license running and the IP relevant than anything artistic or fresh happening in the pipeline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3