• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross: Shooting Insight Game Heads West in 2024

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:26 am Reply with quote
Quick Update: Steam version is delayed until further notice. -> https://twitter.com/MACROSS_SI/status/1767870690554982523

However, the JP console versions will release physically/digitally as planned.

Other than that, Red Art Games are having a good time getting STG's lately. Sadly though, no Macross/DYRL DLC unless you import (either physically/digitally).
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:40 am Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Other than that, Red Art Games are having a good time getting STG's lately. Sadly though, no Macross/DYRL DLC unless you import (either physically/digitally).

Is that DLC the only thing that the western version is missing? Or is there more stuff removed from the game as well?
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:15 pm Reply with quote
anything involving the OG Macross and DYRL is a big no-no in the west thanks to Harmony Gold insisting in exist...
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:49 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
NeoStrayCat wrote:

Is that DLC the only thing that the western version is missing? Or is there more stuff removed from the game as well?

Yeah, that's the only thing we're not getting, because [insert swear here] Harmony Gold, obviously. We're gonna have to wait on a translation for that part of the DLC if anyone's brave enough to do so.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Re: DLC, from what I've seen discussed (not sure if it's changed) the DYLR content is on the disc with the PS version, but is only downloadable on the Switch, and there it's region locked to the JPN eshop

It doesn't seem like the import version will have english support either, so not very import friendly either -_-
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:24 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
anything involving the OG Macross and DYRL is a big no-no in the west thanks to Harmony Gold insisting in exist...

I don't understand, I thought Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko both agreed to allow Macross content in the US? Doesn't that extend to video game too? And why would the OG Macross and DYRL content wouldn't be allowed in this game for US/western release.

Can anyone explain???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nnigdr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Just don't tell me they are still having Mari Iijima as Minmay. Rolling Eyes
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to play a Macross game in the West!
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:09 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:

I don't understand, I thought Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko both agreed to allow Macross content in the US? Doesn't that extend to video game too? And why would the OG Macross and DYRL content wouldn't be allowed in this game for US/western release.

Can anyone explain???

Basically, the agreement was that both parties would stay out of eachother's way with regards to what parts of the franchise they each have control over.

In Big West's Case, that's everything produced after DYRL: Flashback 2012, Macross II, Plus, 7, Zero, Frontier, Delta, and all the various OVAs/films connected to each.

For Harmony Gold, that's Super Dimension Fortress Macross, and theoretically Do You Remember Love, though unofficial word is that the license situation for that title is even more complicated.

So essentially, Big West is free to release and promote anything they have control over outside of Japan. Part of the deal also meant that any already-existing media that featured legacy characters or designs from SDF were also available. So stuff like the Jenius characters in 7 or Delta were safe. But any new works (like this game) wouldn't be allowed to include SDF characters, songs, etc. if released outside of Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1