• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, August 21-27

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:23 am Reply with quote
Sadly no more Pikmin as the number one, also interesting to see how strong the PS4 still is.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:02 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Armored Core is doing well, in spite of all those people that are somehow shocked to discover that the bosses are tough.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Glad to see Armored Core is doing well, in spite of all those people that are somehow shocked to discover that the bosses are tough.

Honestly, if people want to win PVE, all they have to do is run double miniguns with the grenade launchers on the back or something. Any variation of this build seems to tear through a lot of the stuff they throw at you, so it's possible to just faceroll through stuff with minimal effort.

That said, a lot of the fun in the game seems to be tinkering around with builds to see if they are viable even if they're inefficient.

Got a little bored with double shotgun and double minigun setups and came up with a setup where I charge all 4 of my beam weapons (2 of which are still shotguns, I guess) and unload on something when I get in. You'll miss a bunch and have to hold buttons forever, but it's fun and can sort of work since I can still beat Balteus reliably when I was running tests.

PVP seems cool, but I unfortunately can't sink time into it since I'm caught up in the Baldur's Gate 3 hype currently.

This year has been a really good year for playing games that let you have creative gameplay styles. I've been having a ton of fun with everything.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
PVP seems cool, but I unfortunately can't sink time into it since I'm caught up in the Baldur's Gate 3 hype currently.

This year has been a really good year for playing games that let you have creative gameplay styles. I've been having a ton of fun with everything.

Oh, yeah. It's been a crazy good year -- one of the best ever. I'm also pretty immersed in BG3... what kind of character are you rolling? I'm playing a Drow TDU sorcerer that insults everyone at every opportunity. It's incredibly fun.

Trying to go kinda slow while Larian patches things out. Currently still in Act 1.

But back to AC6... yup. Can't say PVP interests me much, but I'd kill for any kind of co-op. Maybe for the next game? Mostly I've just been rocking a medium AC specked for speed, oriented around laser/plasma weapons. I love being able to charge 'em up.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
DKL wrote:

Oh, yeah. It's been a crazy good year -- one of the best ever. I'm also pretty immersed in BG3... what kind of character are you rolling? I'm playing a Drow TDU sorcerer that insults everyone at every opportunity. It's incredibly fun.

Trying to go kinda slow while Larian patches things out. Currently still in Act 1.

I'm using a Drow Barbarian in solo play and Human Ranger in multi.

The difference in outcomes between both playthroughs is really interesting. I can't imagine seeing everything in just a few playthroughs and I'm impressed at the scope of the questlines.

Also, I've not played the tabletop the gameplay mechanics are based on, so it's cool that they made a game so that a casual like me can be onboarded onto the gameplay in a way that's easy/appealing to consume.

(I'm also lazy and don't like setting physical objects up to play a game)

That said, most of my game time has actually just been saving and reloading to reclass and attack friendly NPCs to understand how all the numbers work, funnily enough. If there was one thing I wish they added or patched in for future updates, it would be the ability to roll dice for all instances of combat manually so that I'm not just staring at the details in the combat log for 30 minutes.

(for example, it took a while for me to wrap my head around the idea that Armor Class is actually an Evasion threshold that a 1d20 die + bonuses are rolled against because not a lot of this is explained in the game and it seems like they're assuming you have some degree of familiarity with the original gameplay mechanics... of which I had none coming in, so I was basically learning this 10 year old meta from the ground up)

I understand that this might not be attractive for immersion purposes, but it'd be cool as an option for players that actually want to see how all the numbers interact with each other, though I do think it would help even players not too interested in that since they'll at least be exposed to every step of the way as opposed to the numbers going on in the background and everyone wondering why the attack or spell effect didn't land.

With regards to AC, Daemon X Machina does have co-op and it was pretty fun when me and my friends played it, but I can't say that the game feel and the production values stand up to AC, though it does have a lot of interesting things like the emphasis on flying (which I'm to understand was done in a past AC) and a way to switch between different buffs to the robot in the middle of battle. Hoping it gets refined further, but AC6 is a hard act to follow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1