• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Evolution Game Ends Service on November 29

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:08 am Reply with quote
Live service video games have been a colossal disaster for the video game industry. Thank God I haven't played any.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:58 am Reply with quote
Evolution was a trashfire outside of the actual gameplay (and even then, it had a ton of balancing issues like Exia and Barbs being too unfair in a shooter based format) so this isn't too surprising. I know a lot of people pointed out during the CBT that the ingame economy was going to be a disaster unless they changed it to Bamco. The fact that you had 3 (!) different currencies, plus gacha tickets, was a mind boggling decision. It's honestly one of the most unfun games I've ever played from a casual perspective.

It says something that Battle Operation NEXT lasted longer than Evo and Next was a flat sidestep to the original BattleOp or the fact they killed MSGO for it to be replaced by Evo only for the latter to reach not even 1/10th of the length.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:17 am Reply with quote
I wanted to like this game, but it felt like a bad overwatch. You had mobile suits mostly fighting in small hallways which just didn't feel very Gundam like at all. To be fair, I only played at release so maybe they added better maps. I realize there were outdoor sections on maps, but it felt like those got blown past pretty quick.

It would have been much more fun with large, open environments similar Battle Operation 2 only with the fast gameplay of Gundam Evo. It would have helped if they had more than just the mobile suits. Some MS designs are just great, but to me a lot of it is the pilot as well. I can't imagine other Gundam games like EXVS removing pilots... actually, they did release EX-S without a pilot which didn't go over well at least with the Western community at the time.

I didn't spend anything on this, but f2p and paying for bits and pieces is off-putting to me. I think about things like does spending the extra $10 (or whatever it costs, didn't get into it enough to really look at their pricing) going to significantly improve the amount of fun I'm having? If they had just sold it with all the MS accessible instead of f2p, I'd almost certainly have dropped $40 to check it out (that was what Overwatch cost iirc).

GNPixie wrote:
Evolution was a trashfire outside of the actual gameplay (and even then, it had a ton of balancing issues like Exia and Barbs being too unfair in a shooter based format) so this isn't too surprising.

When they force you into so many close quarters areas, melee is obviously going to be strong. I'm sure they could have done a better job tuning it, but I think that goes back to map design.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:56 am Reply with quote
The game itself is very well made, the best non-sequel Gundam video game in a while. I hope the team that put it together gets the chance to do more great things.

Although I do agree the monetization was a major probable part of its downfall, I think it's specifically down to how there wasn't much interesting to spend money on. The cosmetics were largely pretty boring, not helped by the game's overall "neutral" aesthetic lacking any particular Gundam series flair. And "one new unit per season to buy" isn't a hell of a lot - I'd bet most people didn't bother unless they really liked that mobile suit or its role.

Add that to how the competitive locked role formula bleeds players quick and it isn't hard to see how this happened.

A shame, but I hope Bandai continues to make serious efforts with adventurous new Gundam video games. It still feels a little sad the biggest Gundam titles otherwise are a clunky team shooter that felt dated 10 years ago and an arcade game we only get home ports of when the planets align.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:17 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Live service video games have been a colossal disaster for the video game industry. Thank God I haven't played any.

They must not be considering how many they keep making and the few that actually survive long enough to stick around for a decade and counting.
Summinn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:54 pm Reply with quote
My main problem with this game was the lack of variety in maps and game modes. Also, they should have had lobbies, so it would have been easier to find matches.

I wish there would be a new Gundam game similar to SDGO
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
You'd think during Gundam The Witch from Mercury's broadcast run, they would have added mobile suits from that show to this game, but NOPE! There were so many questionable decisions made that I'm not surprised this game didn't last long.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Had fun maining Endless Waltz Heavy Arms in the game but at the same time I won't miss it too much. Back to Extreme Versus I go.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Had fun maining Endless Waltz Heavy Arms in the game but at the same time I won't miss it too much. Back to Extreme Versus I go.
Glordit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The games concept was fun. Everything else was lackluster. I liked it but quickly got frustrated.

I had to jump through some hoops to access it because it was region locked.
Navigating the main menu was a nightmare. It was as if every menu had to be loaded from elsewhere, like a webpage.
Maps where too small, where it counted. You'd spend a lot of time in a corridor or room fighting.
Combat became a "who's special move was more powerful" which made some units where just broken and annoying to play against.
A lack of unique voices for the Gundam pilots. It wad voice A or B which all sounded the same.
Premium currency system was bad as are most other games that use it.
A lack of new Monile Suits. I stopped playing months ago but the lineup was pretty much the same when I started playing.

The it felt like a unpolished beta and more of a way to gauge interest, on whether people will still play live service games.

Last edited by Glordit on Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:19 am Reply with quote
An interesting idea, but you coudn't feel you were playing with 18-meters tall MS. I admit I am quite awful playing FPS, but most of the times I was killed by some guy in a Barbatos. So I quit after a week.
It's a pity we never played for seasons/tv series/scenarios.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:33 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:

They must not be considering how many they keep making and the few that actually survive long enough to stick around for a decade and counting.

No, game publishers just see the chance of making lots of money constantly and decide to try to get in on it. It's the same thing that happened in the early 2000s when so many companies looked at WoW and decided they wanted that subscription money too, only to find out the hard way that your game not only needs to be good, but good enough to pull people off of that other game that already demands most of their free time. Trend chasing, by definition, means being late to the party when customers have either moved on or are settled into what they like and aren't looking for an imitation.
JuanDmarco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The Witch from Mercury mechs were the most glaring omission, but they're not even the only ones

They had Gundam, Guntank, Zaku II and even GM and Dozle's Zaku from MSV, but no Guncannon

They also had Asshimar and Methuss but no Zeta or Hyaku Shiki, and they didn't even have anything from ZZ. I'm also surprised OG Marasai doesn't show up even as a skin for the Unicorn Marasai.
And yeah, maps are REALLY lacking in variety.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:27 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:

They keep making them because they want to emulate that extremely tiny percent that survive
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
[No, game publishers just see the chance of making lots of money constantly and decide to try to get in on it. It's the same thing that happened in the early 2000s when so many companies looked at WoW and decided they wanted that subscription money too, only to find out the hard way that your game not only needs to be good, but good enough to pull people off of that other game that already demands most of their free time. Trend chasing, by definition, means being late to the party when customers have either moved on or are settled into what they like and aren't looking for an imitation.

Oh don’t misunderstand I’m well aware of why they do this and I think the process is stupid and redundant personally. But as you said as long as there are some companies that are able to come up with an idea that’s able to have substantial market penetration you’re going to keep seeing companies take their shot. No matter how badly they fumble the ball and lose substantial amounts of money or how many people lose their jobs in the process.

garfield15 wrote:

They keep making them because they want to emulate that extremely tiny percent that survive

Basically what the industry has been doing since games like Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Mario, & Doom blew up back in their respective periods leading to everyone and their mother trying and failing to emulate those games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2