• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former Niantic Employee Sues Company for Workplace Sexism

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:43 pm Reply with quote
That sucks. I hope things improve at the company.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:28 pm Reply with quote
MadMusketeer wrote:
She was laid off with hundreds of others, not fired, which implies it wasn't because of poor performance.

It sounds like she admits to having bad performance reviews so you can't really say that. When companies are "forced" to do layoffs, they will typically drop those with worse performance first. Now maybe she is correct that her bad reviews were punishment, but you don't really expect her to be honest about being bad at her job if that were the case do you? I've never worked with an underperformer that wasn't unhappy with getting a below average review thinking they deserved a better one.

MadMusketeer wrote:
The problem was that she received substantially lower pay than a male colleague less senior than her, to the point where she was paid less than the lowest advertised rate for her position.

While shitty, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. At most companies, if you're promoted up, you get less than an external hire would filling a new position because they'll default you into the bottom of the pay scale. Pay scales aren't static. What she saw now when she got the current pay scale for her position is most likely higher than when she got that job. $10k higher? We'll never know. As for the male employee, we don't know what their job responsibilities were or anything else about the other person. Even the guy's salary is only "supposedly" higher according to the article so that claim isn't even confirmed.

Does she have a case? Who knows. She could simply be a disgruntled, fired employee. It could absolutely be discrimination. If it goes to trial, we might get to find out which. Or before that, if this was a systemic problem at the company, more will probably pile on with similar lawsuits which would give more credibility.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:11 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
MadMusketeer wrote:
She was laid off with hundreds of others, not fired, which implies it wasn't because of poor performance.

It sounds like she admits to having bad performance reviews so you can't really say that. When companies are "forced" to do layoffs, they will typically drop those with worse performance first. Now maybe she is correct that her bad reviews were punishment, but you don't really expect her to be honest about being bad at her job if that were the case do you? I've never worked with an underperformer that wasn't unhappy with getting a below average review thinking they deserved a better one.

MadMusketeer wrote:
The problem was that she received substantially lower pay than a male colleague less senior than her, to the point where she was paid less than the lowest advertised rate for her position.

While shitty, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. At most companies, if you're promoted up, you get less than an external hire would filling a new position because they'll default you into the bottom of the pay scale. Pay scales aren't static. What she saw now when she got the current pay scale for her position is most likely higher than when she got that job. $10k higher? We'll never know. As for the male employee, we don't know what their job responsibilities were or anything else about the other person. Even the guy's salary is only "supposedly" higher according to the article so that claim isn't even confirmed.

Does she have a case? Who knows. She could simply be a disgruntled, fired employee. It could absolutely be discrimination. If it goes to trial, we might get to find out which. Or before that, if this was a systemic problem at the company, more will probably pile on with similar lawsuits which would give more credibility.

I love how these “we don’t know” things always feel the need to make up reasons to discredit what we do know in order to not just both sides, but heavily imply that there is no way these complaints are legitimate. Truly the neutral voice of reason must always make sure we know that all women are perpetual greedy liars.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:00 am Reply with quote
Posts removed. Keep it nice please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
faboo95

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
I love how these “we don’t know” things always feel the need to make up reasons to discredit what we do know in order to not just both sides, but heavily imply that there is no way these complaints are legitimate. Truly the neutral voice of reason must always make sure we know that all women are perpetual greedy liars.

Or maybe they simply wanted to give possible reasons why she was getting paid less? Personally, I didn't get the impression that the woman was being attacked or labeled as being a greedy liar
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1