• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma Game Gets Xbox One Version on August 30

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
This well sell tens of copies.
chudmaru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Are the first two available on it as well? Because the third game was terrible and would not recommend it to anyone, especially as their first exposure to the series. I'd really only recommend the first one. And on the DS if you can play it there because they used the two screen gimmick pretty smartly.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:02 pm Reply with quote
chudmaru wrote:
Are the first two available on it as well? Because the third game was terrible and would not recommend it to anyone, especially as their first exposure to the series. I'd really only recommend the first one. And on the DS if you can play it there because they used the two screen gimmick pretty smartly.

the first two came came out on Xbox a few months ago from The Nonary Games compilation.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:32 pm Reply with quote
chudmaru wrote:
Are the first two available on it as well? Because the third game was terrible and would not recommend it to anyone, especially as their first exposure to the series.

Yeah, the Nonary Games compilation got ported earlier this year. It's on Game Pass, even.

I just played ZTD recently and wouldn't call it "good", but I don't know about "terrible" either. Yeah, the villain sucks and Akane and Junpei spoiler[literally accomplish nothing but plugging the plot hole created by them being there in the first place], but there's a couple really cool twists along the way too. Like Phi's backstory.

chudmaru wrote:
I'd really only recommend the first one. And on the DS if you can play it there because they used the two screen gimmick pretty smartly.

I don't regret playing it on PC, because it's still fantastic, and the flowchart and voice acting add a lot to the experience. But I do wish there'd been an option to play it in a mode that mimicked the original two-screen setup, and that they'd kept the original final puzzle.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:42 pm Reply with quote
This game gets a ton of hate but I love it. Yes the budget was clearly 1.00 and the ending was lame, but no other game captures the feeling of dread and desperation better than this one (maybe Danganronpa in its darker moments). The entire Zero Escape series deals with the same gimmick but the characters in the other games seemed… smarter and braver? Zero Time Dilemma characters are a bit more flawed and less capable. A bunch of normal, likable and weak people forced to make impossible choices and play Russian roulette just seems more stressful.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a weird time to port it but good that it's coming at least.

I have... a lot of feelings about this game but I still think it's a worthwhile play. I should really do a replay of the whole ZE series at some point.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:31 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
A bunch of normal, likable and weak people

Counterpoint: Diana is pretty much the only character who's both normal and likable. Very Happy A bunch of them are likable but not normal, Eric is normal but not likable, and Mira and Junpei are neither.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Surprised this isn't going up on Game Pass given the other Spike Chunsoft stuff that's been ported to Xbox has been.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:42 pm Reply with quote
A shame the game is waay too overhated, its a very good game, the plot twists through me for a loop a lot but I did enjoy the tension I felt playing it.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:38 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
chrisb wrote:
A bunch of normal, likable and weak people

Counterpoint: Diana is pretty much the only character who's both normal and likable. Very Happy A bunch of them are likable but not normal, Eric is normal but not likable, and Mira and Junpei are neither.

Good point Anime smile + sweatdrop I will say that even the strongest characters are deeply flawed people who don’t seem equipped at all for the situation. I think only Sigma and Phi retain their “coolness” but even they have to deal with some truly depressing revelations. There are no super secret spoiler[sexy spies] like in the previous games. The cast of 999 and VLR seemed less freaked out about their circumstances and determined to escape. Zero Time Dilemma characters are constantly struggling.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:50 am Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
This well sell tens of copies.

The fact this is being ported at all seems to indicate the collection of the previous two games must have performed well to some extent.

I know people love to be all "lol xbox suck", but why not be happy about games being available to more people, even if it doesn't benefit you directly?
mrmoviemanic1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:25 am Reply with quote
chudmaru wrote:

Actually to just prove your point a little off. I played this game first before even knowing about the Zero franchise and I would argue it's a very engaging and thrilling experiance.

So hopefully if anyone wants to play it even if it's their first exposer to the series I would recommend it.
LuScr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:18 am Reply with quote
The plot twists and mysteries are just as good as either of its predecessors, but ZTD leaned into the spoiler["death game"] aspect of the series a little too much for its own good.

spoiler[Characters don't just die as a result of failing challenges, like in previous games--a lot of the challenges require the characters to deliberately and directly kill each other, and the deaths are much more gory (e.g. acid showers). The entire cast is much less sympathetic as a result, even before you get to their individual quirks (and the damage to Junpei's previously established character, in particular).]

The change in art style didn't exactly endear it to fans of the previous games, either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1