• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toshiba: Chip Manufacturing Output to Remain Low Until Next September

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I see which means prices for PS5 will continue to be way out of my reach in the year ahead.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I see which means prices for PS5 will continue to be way out of my reach in the year ahead.

Among other things. Like it's fat chance we're going to see any price drop for GPUs in the foreseeable future, in this year, or possibly in the next one. For me who haven't upgraded mine since 2016 - or to be more precise, I have an equivalent one since last year - this is a nightmare.
Orion2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:17 pm Reply with quote
to be clear, this comes from a company that doesn't have business with the PlayStation chip manufacturing, they speak for themselves and in general, not PlayStation, Sony has already made deals in place for manufacturing and meet all their targets
phantom360

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:59 am Reply with quote
Yep why stop now when these companies can have an excuse to keep making a ton of money by ripping people off.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:49 am Reply with quote
Orion2 wrote:

to be clear, this comes from a company that doesn't have business with the PlayStation chip manufacturing, they speak for themselves and in general, not PlayStation, Sony has already made deals in place for manufacturing and meet all their targets

Toshiba specifically mentions console makers as their customers. There are other chips in the consoles besides the CPU/GPU:
Quote:
Toshiba is holding daily discussions on how best to allocate its limited output, Kamebuchi said. The company’s having to apologize to some customers for being unable to deliver in a timely fashion.

“We consider which customer faces the most severe situation, such as the risk of the whole production line halting or the business getting obliterated without the supply of chips,” he said. “Game console makers are among the customers making the strongest demands and I’m sincerely sorry for their frustration as none of them have a 100% satisfaction.”

In fact, it's also mentioned that Sony is already lagging behind from their planned pace:
Quote:
Sony Group Corp. said it was still confident it can sell more than 14.8 million units of the PlayStation 5 this fiscal year to match the pace of its predecessor, but the new console’s production in the April-June quarter lagged behind the PlayStation 4’s for the same period.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:38 am Reply with quote
phantom360 wrote:
Yep why stop now when these companies can have an excuse to keep making a ton of money by ripping people off.

Because demand doesn't mean anything if you can't fulfill it. Why make limited money when you can fulfil the demand and make more?
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
Orion2 wrote:

It's not so simple, I bet you that Toshiba is involved with the optical drive, which requires alot of compute power these days. So their is that...

The thing to note with the chip shortage is that is not just at the high-end. With the fast processors on the latest process node and the fancy graphic capabilities. It's also on the low end, a simple logic chip that controls the power windows to your car for example... EVERYTHING that can be put into a chip is swamped. And to be fair, their is a tone of variables to it. Here, this a extremely simplified version of what is happening.... the scope of the crisis is insane.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:

Among other things. Like it's fat chance we're going to see any price drop for GPUs in the foreseeable future, in this year, or possibly in the next one. For me who haven't upgraded mine since 2016 - or to be more precise, I have an equivalent one since last year - this is a nightmare.

Yeah, that has definitely gotten old. Games are at a point where I would need to build something new to keep up, but that seems pretty pointless when a newer graphics card costs more than building the whole thing from the ground up normally would. I'd like to get a PS5, but even the "cheapest" resellers I've seen charge as much as buying a PS5 and PS5 Digital combined. Even ones listed as refurbished, with little information on what exactly that means, are priced hundreds of dollars more than MSRP.

Sony has flip-flopped all over the place on PS5 games with changes to upgrades, whether games would have a PS4 version at all etc. Third-parties, naturally, are still focused on last-gen since those are in people's homes. It sure makes it feel like this console generation has had more of a soft-opening than a proper launch.
Orion2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Issac Sarrowtail wrote:
Orion2 wrote:

It's not so simple, I bet you that Toshiba is involved with the optical drive, which requires alot of compute power these days. So their is that...

The thing to note with the chip shortage is that is not just at the high-end. With the fast processors on the latest process node and the fancy graphic capabilities. It's also on the low end, a simple logic chip that controls the power windows to your car for example... EVERYTHING that can be put into a chip is swamped. And to be fair, their is a tone of variables to it. Here, this a extremely simplified version of what is happening.... the scope of the crisis is insane.

enurtsol wrote:
Orion2 wrote:

Toshiba specifically mentions console makers as their customers. There are other chips in the consoles besides the CPU/GPU:
Quote:
Toshiba is holding daily discussions on how best to allocate its limited output, Kamebuchi said. The company’s having to apologize to some customers for being unable to deliver in a timely fashion.

“We consider which customer faces the most severe situation, such as the risk of the whole production line halting or the business getting obliterated without the supply of chips,” he said. “Game console makers are among the customers making the strongest demands and I’m sincerely sorry for their frustration as none of them have a 100% satisfaction.”

In fact, it's also mentioned that Sony is already lagging behind from their planned pace:
Quote:
Sony Group Corp. said it was still confident it can sell more than 14.8 million units of the PlayStation 5 this fiscal year to match the pace of its predecessor, but the new console’s production in the April-June quarter lagged behind the PlayStation 4’s for the same period.

1. PS5 lagging behind PS4 in production is just a straight lie since PS5 has been outselling PS4 at the same time, so how is PS5 selling more units than PS4 did at the same time, please explain that to me

2. the big problem with consoles is the heart of the beast, the SOC, which is made at only one company, but they have already made the orders and deals a long time ago, so they are good, the other small components can be outsourced from several other companies, they already do this with fans, heat sinks and wifi modules, Toshiba might not be able to meet Sony's orders, but that makes no difference to Sony as they'll just find a new provider, because they can in that situation, but with the SOC, they can't

the fact is that PS5 is breaking record sales at a historical pace, number 1 fastest selling period, so chip shortage or not, PS5 is not affected
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1