• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses 3 Mushibugyō Original Video Anime Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:28 am Reply with quote
Oh i remember this, it had Gons voice actress(Megumi Han). it was like Fairy Tail, only self aware and didn't take itself too serious.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:30 am Reply with quote
Oh cool, I remember trying to find them when they weren't even subbed.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Given the dismal quality of fansubs we tend to see for unlicensed spinoff/sidestory OVAs these days, it's nice to get official translations for this. Though I do wonder why Sentai would license this OVA if they don't have any connection with or license for the Mushibugyo TV series. Maybe they do, but you'd think they'd announce that first.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Given the dismal quality of fansubs we tend to see for unlicensed spinoff/sidestory OVAs these days, it's nice to get official translations for this. Though I do wonder why Sentai would license this OVA if they don't have any connection with or license for the Mushibugyo TV series. Maybe they do, but you'd think they'd announce that first.

Or they're waiting to see how this does first. That was the strategy back in the "old days" when companies would license a movie or OVA first before committing to a TV series.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

These OVAs are apparently of the "bundled with the manga" variety, which likely have to be licensed from a different company than the TV series, likely the original manga publisher, which in this case would be Shogakukan. I know the same is true for the Kenichi OVAs, which Discotek has cited as not being licensed by them (despite licensing the TV series) due to a different licensor, and Kodansha USA had released those Attack of Titan OVAs with the manga, not FUNimation.

If the Mushibugyo OVAs are truly licensed from Shogakukan, I hope this means that Sentai is aiming to license more OVAs of this ilk, like the Kenichi OVAs or even the old Rumic World OVAs that CPM had once released in the 90s, as those came from the time that Shogakukan was releasing anime directly themselves.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
These OVAs are apparently of the "bundled with the manga" variety, which likely have to be licensed from a different company than the TV series, likely the original manga publisher, which in this case would be Shogakukan. I know the same is true for the Kenichi OVAs, which Discotek has cited as not being licensed by them (despite licensing the TV series) due to a different licensor, and Kodansha USA had released those Attack of Titan OVAs with the manga, not FUNimation.

To add another example, One Punch Man's one OAD that Viz never released and the 2008 Dragon Ball Jump special that never got licensed here are handled by Shueisha so both Viz & FUNi would have to go through them directly to pick them up rather than through Bandai Visual or Toei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1