• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Urusei Yatsura - The British Dub

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barciad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone ever watched the British dub of the old standard 'Urusei Yatsura'? Was done back in 2000 and features Matt Lucas and Anna Friel. Yet I've only just found out about it. Absolutely amazing if you like British humour, Monty Python etc.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant - how many eps did they dub? And the really important question- did they get past ep 28, into the ones where Oshii really got going?

I only found a handful English dubbed on Youtube.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:23 am Reply with quote
I think they only aired a couple of them.

(I’ll admit that, since getting a straight translation at the time didn’t seem likely, what felt like a gag dub of something that was already a comedy annoyed me a bit.)
Barciad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Dayraven wrote:
I think they only aired a couple of them.

(I’ll admit that, since getting a straight translation at the time didn’t seem likely, what felt like a gag dub of something that was already a comedy annoyed me a bit.)

I'm probably biased because I am English myself and the humour on display was something that I am very familiar with. What the producers did was rather than shy away from the inherent 'naughtiness', they embraced. But more than that, they tapped into the long running English tradition of cartoon humour of that particular ilk. Specifically that of 'Viz', or alternative comedy in general.
Which can on the one hand is bawdy and anarchic. But it also incisive and inventive. I mean, referencing 'The Archers' like that. But like I said, this is what I've grown up with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1