• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: futekiya Boys-Love Manga Service Adds 13 Kaiohsha Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh man. Godspeed with Yamamoto’s works. Her stories are so long lol. I’m happy to see them though! And I love Bitch na Neko. I was actually rereading my JP volumes the other day so I’m happy to see it got licensed!
fencer_x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
It’s a tragedy that Honto Yajuu, one of the most enjoyable romantic comedies out there, got snapped up by such an undeserving company :/ their quality in both translation and typesetting is abhorrent, and now fans won’t get a physical release.

Yamamoto deserved much better.
lunaballz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:16 pm Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
It’s a tragedy that Honto Yajuu, one of the most enjoyable romantic comedies out there, got snapped up by such an undeserving company :/ their quality in both translation and typesetting is abhorrent, and now fans won’t get a physical release.

Yeah I'm incredibly disappointed in this. I far prefer physical copies over digital, and prefer digital I can buy to subscription services. Ugh Honto Yajuu is one of my favorites, I'm seriously so sad over this
joshingjohn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:

So other people who read the forum know, fencer_x is the scanlator of the Kotetsuko Yamamoto manga series that were licensed.

Sublime has said in the past they won't pick up the series because it is long, still ongoing, and heavily scanlated. The editor at Sublime has released info that scanlation of a long series like this does impact sales. Honestly, the scans probably lead it to no English publisher not picking up the Honto Yajuu especially one for print. They have licensed other Yamakoto series so it's not like they don't like the sensei and don't have some connection to her.
IsekaiedByATruck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:38 pm Reply with quote
joshingjohn wrote:
So other people who read the forum know, fencer_x is the scanlator of the Kotetsuko Yamamoto manga series that were licensed.

Sublime has said in the past they won't pick up the series because it is long, still ongoing, and heavily scanlated. The editor at Sublime has released info that scanlation of a long series like this does impact sales. Honestly, the scans probably lead it to no English publisher not picking up the Honto Yajuu especially one for print. They have licensed other Yamakoto series so it's not like they don't like the sensei and don't have some connection to her.

Sorry, but that excuse from Sublime is pure bullshit to me. Honto Yajuu started being released in 2008, publishers slept on it for 12 years and then blame scanlation for it not being worth to pick up? Earlier this year when I saw that Sasaki to Miyano got licensed (which I'm happy about, Harusono-sensei deserves to have her work be recognized), it made me think "wow, I just realized that Honto Yajuu still hasn't been licensed, unbelievable" because it still is one of my favorite stories despite being among the first BL mangas I read years ago and to me it deserved the recognition more than some mangas that have been licensed already, yet no publisher cared about it.

As for the other part of the excuse, a year ago Sublime announced that they picked up Caste Heaven, a series that "is long, is still ongoing and is heavily scanlated". I'm not sure about how many chapters Honto Yajuu has in Japan since I haven't read it in a long while (I'm being lazy, but I'll catch up one day), but I believe it has about the same amount of content as Caste Heaven despite having 13 volumes (fencer_x can correct me if I'm wrong). Regardless, you can argue whether CH is long or not, but if having 29 chapters doesn't make it long then what series would be considered long, Saiyaku wa Boku o Suki Sugiru with it's 50+ chapters?

To be fair I don't know when Sublime or any other publisher were created, but I imagine that at least one of them had plenty of time to pick HY up before the scanlation got as far as it is now. I also believe that the people who read it thanks to the scanlation and care about supporting the author (and have the means to do so) would buy it to own it, I know that I would, not only for that, but because I'd love to have one of my favorite and first BL mangas I read. The people who don't care wouldn't buy it anyway, scanlation existing or not, so while I do believe that scanlation may have an effect on sales, I doubt it is big enough to be used as an excuse, especially for HY which I believe that anyone who kept reading after the first chapters liked it a lot, enough to want to support the author if they can.
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
IsekaiedByATruck wrote:
I also believe that the people who read it thanks to the scanlation and care about supporting the author (and have the means to do so) would buy it to own it, I know that I would, not only for that, but because I'd love to have one of my favorite and first BL mangas I read.

That's a pretty big "if", especially since if people cared about supporting the author so much, they can always buy the in-print versions of her works--which are definitely available, even if they're not in a language you can read. Debates about "digital only" or "translation problems" aside, I'm sure the author is more happy to be compensated in actual money, even if there are some fanbases that (hilariously) think their affection without any support is priceless.
IsekaiedByATruck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
That's a pretty big "if", especially since if people cared about supporting the author so much, they can always buy the in-print versions of her works--which are definitely available, even if they're not in a language you can read. Debates about "digital only" or "translation problems" aside, I'm sure the author is more happy to be compensated in actual money, even if there are some fanbases that (hilariously) think their affection without any support is priceless.

You're talking about people who don't care about supporting the author, which I addressed right after the part you quoted. There's no "if", you either care or you don't, it's that simple. That aside, the discussion is about the licensed version, bringing up the original version is pointless since, again, the ones who care about supporting the author by buying it despite not understanding Japanese would do so and the ones who don't care won't, regardless if the manga was licensed or not.

It's as you said though, Yamamoto-sensei is probably happy enough with the money they got from this deal with futekiya and having their work be recognized already makes me happy, even though I'd prefer a physical release and don't like the subscription service futekiya offers, but that's on me, it doesn't affect the author in any way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1