• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection Anime Film's English Dub Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:28 am Reply with quote
It seems better than expected, who has been replaced so far? I do not know all the VAs from the show, I notice(excluding the main cast) Liam O'Brien returning. I suppose once more cast are announced we will start to see a lot more recasts.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
Jared is an excellent choice. He initially was an anime fan and actor in the hit Once Upon a Time, one of my favorite shows! So now he gets to do this. I can't wait to see what he can do!
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It seems better than expected, who has been replaced so far? I do not know all the VAs from the show, I notice(excluding the main cast) Liam O'Brien returning. I suppose once more cast are announced we will start to see a lot more recasts.

Don't be so sure. Granted, Laura and Troy are big MAYBE, and Michael Lindsay probably won't return for Tamaki but all the others should be fine. This project is most likely union too.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
Marakutanay wrote:
Don't be so sure. Granted, Laura and Troy are big MAYBE, and Michael Lindsay probably won't return for Tamaki but all the others should be fine. This project is most likely union too.
Really union? I will spare some hope then for Mary, Crispin, Steve, Jamieson and others. With that and the hand-drawn mechs this could be the most satisfied I've been to see an old series comeback since Usho & Tora.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
This dub cast barely scratches the surface of the cast, but already it’s pretty crazy. Jared Gilmore and Rich Sommer are the kind of actors that would be in a Disney/Ghibli dub: the former was on Once Upon a Time and the latter was on Mad Men. With FNAF’s Kellen Goff appearing in MHA, I’m wondering just how much Funimation is going to be expanding its roster. And as of now they’ve been able to get the original cast back. I’m kind of miffed by Sabat and Maxwell joining the cast since they had major roles in Akito, but the original dub had many actors play multiple roles so I shouldn’t be surprised. I was also hoping that my two favorite VAs (Todd Haberkorn and Brina Palencia) would be in the dub. Still have my fingers crossed...

MarshalBanana wrote:

Kim Mai Guest returns as Sayoko (Nunnally’s maid who turned out to be a ninja). Guest (who also plays Table Girl) was one of the actresses we feared wouldn’t come back, since it’s been a while since she’s been in any anime, so her coming back is definitely a good sign.
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
I wish Funimation dubbed the compilation trilogy because this movie is technically a sequel to those and not the TV series. Those coming straight from the series may be slightly confused. With looking at this dub cast I can kind of see why it would have been cost prohibitive to dub those films.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
UPDATE TO ARTICLE: Christopher Bevins has replaced Michael Lindsay as Tamaki.

Was to be expected giving Lindsay retired, but usually Doug Erholtz is the one to replace him (not that I’m complaining; Bevins’ Sero voice kinda sounds like Tamaki).
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
brammerhammer23 wrote:
I wish Funimation dubbed the compilation trilogy because this movie is technically a sequel to those and not the TV series. Those coming straight from the series may be slightly confused. With looking at this dub cast I can kind of see why it would have been cost prohibitive to dub those films.

They would also have to deal with recasting Vic Mignogna,and they probably want to stay away from that...
There's also Amy Kincaid as Shirley,who hasn't worked in literally anything after Code Geass and might as well be retired despite being Liam O'Brien's wife
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Marakutanay wrote:
Really union? I will spare some hope then for Mary, Crispin, Steve, Jamieson and others. With that and the hand-drawn mechs this could be the most satisfied I've been to see an old series comeback since Usho & Tora.

Jamieson works non-union pretty regularly under the Taylor Henry name.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Having already seen the movie (It’s about as cash grabby as it sounds, I found it very average but your experience may differ) I can confirm that both Schneizel and Rakshata have tiny little appearances. I do wonder if Troy and Laura will come back.

I think Laura has a better chance of popping up than Troy, given her work in Fruits Basket recently. But who knows. They could easily have replaced them, not many people would be upset.

johnnysasaki wrote:
They would also have to deal with recasting Vic Mignogna,and they probably want to stay away from that...

Vic fans get really annoyed when you talk about that character since he was a weird xenophobic douche with a harem of underage girls who dies after about 10 minutes of total screentime. I know that because every time I bring that up they feel the need to counter it with weird comments about Monica Rial who is... not in Code Geass, I must add.

So uhh yeah. Don’t expect them to be too upset about that one, since the character is a bit of a loser and doesn’t match the cool honourable good boy image they’ve projected onto him.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Marakutanay wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Michael Lindsay lives in a Maryland town called Laurel. So, unless he can record over a SourceConnect-type device or fly to L.A. or Dallas to record, chances he won't return.
Mirvana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:31 am Reply with quote
Dunno if it's worth speculating on who's gonna voice characters that caught a case of the "the deads" during the series/films. Unless they have new flashback scenes, idk if ANYONE will voice them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1