• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An Anime Cat That Everyone Forgot About On Cat Day

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
A month ago,ANN put up a great article about Cat Day,a day that celebrates cats in Japan. Nearly everyone here said things about their cats,including me,because I own two of them. But,I thought that there a cat that everyone forgot about in the forums during that time. I reminded people of this feline but since nobody talked out it there,I'd like to talk about that forgotten cat here.
So,what's this forgotten anime cat's name? His name is Maya from "Azumanga Daioh." For those who have no idea who I'm talking about,he's Sakaki's pet Iriomote mountain cat. Now,in the manga and anime,Sakaki is a big cat person whose mother is allergic to them so she can't have them at her house. Also,cats don't really seem to like her. In fact,one cat often bites her constantly.

All that changes on a class trip to Okinawa. She meets an Iriomote mountain cat who not only seems to like her,but even let her pet him. And,they were together for a long time,until they had to leave. Although it was right for him to stay there,she tearfully said goodbye to him as she sailed away from Iriomote. Later on,she'd find out that his mother was accidentally killed by a car.
He'd show up again when Sakaki and Chiyo were heading home after school. They were attacked by a bunch of cats lead by a cat Sakaki called Kamineko. He successfully drove them away but tired himself out so he was taken to the vet's office. After they leave the vet's office,she gives him the name "Maya,"that's derived from the Okinawan language name for his species "Yamamaya." As you can imagine,she was very happy to finally have a pet cat. Although he's a wild cat,he shows he's comfortable around people and even dogs,as Chiyo's pet dog Mr. Tadakichi can attest. He even let Sakaki bathe him.

So what do you guys think about this forgotten cat,Maya? Should we have forgotten about him on Cat Day? Sadly,I didn't think about him until a lot later. But,I think we shouldn't have. He deserved some discussion about him at least. So what do you guys think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1