• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Pleads Guilty to Coercing Girl He Met at Anime Con

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaricore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
So much for not censoring the discussion?
This entire thread was removed overnight.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
If so, the deletion of that thread was like the killing of Osama bin Laden. Something I'm not entirely comfortable with on principal, but I can't say that it's any great loss for the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
hikaricore wrote:
So much for not censoring the discussion?
This entire thread was removed overnight.

Speaking as a person who has been a very active member for the last three years and as a community member, I've got to ask why was it removed?

Yes, there might have been some comments that might not be exactly the nicest, but not all of the comments were bad. Like mine and others. I am normally fine with a little bit of censorship, but when censorship starts to edit out posts that are intelligent and aren't in the least bit insulating, that is hard to ignore or pretend not to notice.

But let it be known, I am not looking for trouble or a argument. I am just a little surprised that ANN would censor the topic so much to delete the topic.
hikaricore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally looking for trouble after spending several hours reading and replying to posts in that thread. In fact I'd go as far as to say I'm pretty pissed off right now.Especially after it was made quite clear that people might be banned for insults, but that the topic would not be censored within reason. Reminds me of the time ANN was made to look quite foolish when a certain anime episode leaked..

Last edited by hikaricore on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I was shocked to see an entire thread deleted. Was the thread a black spot on the board? Yes, and I could understand if it were locked. But to sweep it under the rug with a full thread deletion? To throw what the forum members contributed their valuable time to into the trash? That takes things to a new level. According to Google, my post was the last one prior to the deletion. So yeah, this disturbs me.

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8
Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13

Last edited by Jedi Master on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
hikaricore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
There were several posts after yours before I went to bed last night.
One of mine specifically which I don't see in the cache. >.>
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
hikaricore wrote:
I'm totally looking for trouble after spending several hours reading and replying to posts in that thread. In fact I'd go as far as to say I'm pretty pissed off right now.Especially after it was made quite clear that people might be banned for insults, but that the topic would not be censored within reason. Reminds me of the time ANN was made to look quite foolish when a certain anime episode leaked..

Can't say I blame you, as I too spent time writing my posts. My "last" post took me over an hour to write and I too wish it weren't deleted.

I remember reading and re-reading that insults were made, ban's would be set into place. Which is fair enough, as that does make sense and I don't disagree with at all.

Ah yes, the Oreimo episodes, now that created quite the blunder. Boy, did that ever piss off people, especially the subscribers who paid for the premium version of the show.

There was more posts after page 12. I made one and I think several others did as well. Mine was a lengthily one and although I went offline after writing that, from what I remember, mine was last one written.

Last edited by Teriyaki Terrier on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, look on the bright side: Regardless of who takes power in a military coup, our job prospects are still no different.
Strawberryelle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Yes, I was shocked to see an entire thread deleted. Was the thread a black spot on the board? Yes, and I could understand if it were locked. But to sweep it under the rug with a full thread deletion? To throw what the forum members contributed their valuable time to into the trash? That takes things to a new level. According to Google, my post was the last one prior to the deletion. So yeah, this disturbs me.

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8
Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13

the last post I made was around 10am this morning GMT-4 time and I noticed the thread gone roughly an hour later.

Last edited by Strawberryelle on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling it was removed because the posts of people having a calm, intellectual discussion were being dramatically outweighted by the posts of people being absolutely horrible ****ing jackasses!!!
hikaricore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I have a feeling it was removed because the posts of people having a calm, intellectual discussion were being dramatically outweighted by the posts of people being absolutely horrible ****ing jackasses!!!

You mean people like Zac?

*glares at Zac*
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
hikaricore wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

You mean people like Zac?

*glares at Zac*

This board frowns upon members insulting other members directly so I'll just say no, Zac is not the one I'm talking about here.
hikaricore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Just indirectly making sure. Wink
hikaricore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
hikaricore wrote:
Just indirectly making sure. Wink

You do realize I was totally in support of getting rid of that thread? I even reported several really unsavory posts.

Then your reply was slightly misleading. I assumed by jackasses you meant the folks who exploded in rage everytime someone like myself questioned the specifics of the case. Those same people then proceeded to claim I was siding with a pedophile because I was asking said questions.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I hypothesize that discussion which questions the taboo sexual mores of our era is not allowed on ANN.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2