• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2016 MEGA POLL Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Hey folks-

This is a thread for feedback/discussion of our big 2016 Mega Poll, which you can vote in right here:

animenewsnetwork.com/survey/695/

Thanks for voting!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 on the list. I know it was more or less a cut-job of the OVA, but since it contained new animated footage, I figure it should count as "airing" in 2016.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Most of my picks were obvious, but I struggled to choose between Thunderbolt and JoJo for the fifth spot. Gave it to Thunderbolt because of how unique the production was and JoJo, however amazing it has been, still has a good amount of disposable episodes, especially in the second cour
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Thunderbolt Fantasy was one of my top five picks also.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
It is quite a pity that theatrical anime are not eligible here. I am certain that Your Name would be a strong candidate when ranked against televised works, A Silent Voice also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I basically only watched four shows all of the way through this year, Flying Witch, Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, Dagashi Kashi, and KumaMiko: Girl Meets Bear, so those are the only ones I voted for.

KumaMiko is the controversial pick of the three given the questionable ending that seems a bit cruel to Machi. I have problems with the ending too, but I enjoyed most of the episodes leading up to the ending. Also, the most problematic aspect of KumaMiko might be more open to interpretation than it seems: spoiler[the fan theory to which I subscribe is that Machi's psychotic visions of being hated by everyone outside of the village might not be due to mental illness; instead they may have been planted in her head by the local mountain gods who seem to be a bit malicious and who are very possessive of Machi, and, like Yoshio, treat Machi like their own personal plaything and don't ever want her to leave Kumade village.] Although it may be unlikely due to averse reaction to the ending, I'd love to see a season 2 of Kumamiko if just to see Machi overcome her personal "demons".

There were other series I started but never got around to finishing like Amanchu! and Sweetness and Lightning. I mainly like low-key slice of life shows but I wasn't feeling either of those, although I was having severe financial issues over the summer and maybe just wasn't in the mood.

Zin5ki wrote:
It is quite a pity that theatrical anime are not eligible here. I am certain that Your Name would be a strong candidate when ranked against televised works,

I know this is a worldwide poll but the problem with a movie like Your Name is that most of us in North America who weren't lucky enough to catch the Oscar qualification screenings in Los Angeles won't actually get to see it until next year when it gets a wider theatrical release or, later, when it's on home video/streaming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
My favorites from this year were My Hero Academia, 91 Days, and the two episodes of the Gundam: The Origin OVA (not on the list) that premiered this year. I consider Lupin III Part IV a 2015 anime (I still voted for it, though), however. And I've still been following Dragon Ball Super and Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. Drifters is pretty neat, as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I look at this long, long list and I chuckle over how few series I actually watched. 2016 was mostly an underwhelming year with a few standouts.

ERASED - 4 episodes - I liked what I saw, but I wasn't impressed hearing what came later. I still want to see it, but I don't expect the quality from what I loved about the first few episodes

Flip Flappers - 2 episodes - I like the visuals and what I've seen is enough to intrigue me to watch further, but I don't care for Papika's super innocent personality, especially since several people have been mentioning the yuri in the show.

Keijo!!!!!!!! - 1 episode - I was quite amused by what I saw and laughed out loud several times. I don't have any strong compelling reason to continue, but it'd be a fun show to watch every once in a while.

Kuromukuro - COMPLETE - After a drought of no anime for several months, this is what brought me back to the fold. This was a really fun series and I enjoyed every second!

Love Live! Sunshine!! - 3 episodes? - Eh, too much sugar sweetness. Even with the original series, I only really liked the first three episodes. Once they started extending the cast, I got a bit bored. Same thing here.

planetarian - COMPLETE - Not my cup of tea, but it was short and painless so I just went with it. Despite finishing it, wouldn't rank it on any sort of favorite list of the year.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - COMPLETE - Great show with a great cast of characters. I really enjoyed the rakugo performances.

Snow White with the Red Hair season 2 - COMPLETE - Not nearly as good as the first season, but not poor. Fell away from it for over half a year after the conclusion of the kidnapping arc and only just recently completed it. Much better than planetarian, but I still don't think I would rank it on any lists of the year.

Yuri!!! on Ice - 1 episode left - ABSOLUTELY 100% THE AOTY. Like, this series currently scores a 10/10 from me, and I feel pretty confident that the last episode is going to deliver. Frankly, I'd currently rank it in my Top 10 Anime of all time.

So, I only voted for 3 series on this list, and I'd rank them as follows:
1. Yuri!!! on Ice Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy
2. Kuromukuro
3. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Choosing a top 4 was somewhat easy, but that 5th spot had 3 anime that I could vote for, maybe 4 if Sangatsu no Lion's latest episode is good (haven't watched it yet)

But anyway, I ended up voting for Concrete Revolutio's second cour. I wasn't too much of a fan of its conclusion and how rushed some of it was, but that show was almost dealing in a whole other level than most.

Durarara X2's final cour wasn't as good as the second, but I still enjoyed it throughout. Narita is absolutely one of my favorite writers, and even when his material kind of gets the short end of the stick on the animation department, it's incredibly entertaining.

Grimgar was an absolute surprise. Its tone was very different than what you'd expect, its backgrounds beautiful, and every character likable at the end (even Ranta! After like, 10 episodes being kind of insufferable, but still).

Mob Psycho 100 also took me by surprise. I didn't like OPM and almost passed up on this one. It had some pretty bad episodes mixed in (mostly the generic villain organization nonsense), but I think I might rank spoiler[1000% gratitude] as pretty much the best scene of the year.

Last spot is a tie between Assassination Classroom's second season, sweetness and lightning, and Fate/Kaleid Drei's first cour. Ended up voting for Kaleid if only because I know it's gonna be the one with the least votes out of the three.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
My top choice is Flip Flappers for its complex story and remarkable visuals. My other votes went to Fune wo Amu ("The Great Passage"), Flying Witch, Yuri on Ice, and Thunderbolt Fantasy for its uniqueness. I know I "should" have liked Shouwa Genroku, but I wasn't captivated by the first couple of episodes. I'll probably get back to it someday. Kumamiko's chances were destroyed by the ending for the reasons Tenchi described. Kuromukuro was a pretty enjoyable distraction when I was trying to escape from the results of the US election, but it didn't seem distinctive enough to deserve a vote. Flying Witch might seem pretty generic as well, but it had enough characterization to gain my endorsement. Yuri on Ice is probably my number two show behind Flip Flappers.

I totally missed ERASED on the list else I would have voted for that over Flying Witch. Like Willa, I considered Planetarian and Shirayuki-hime season two but didn't vote for them for pretty much the same reasons she gave. I also gave a few moments' thought to Alderamin.

Had films been included on the list I would have voted for Miss Hokusai.

Last edited by yuna49 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
In alphabetical order I went with: ERASED, Flying Witch, JBA: Diamond is Unbreakable, Lupin the Third Part IV and Magical Girl Raising Project. Note, I voted based on the anime that most engaged my interest (for a variety of reasons) as opposed to judging what was "best" over the usual range of criteria (i.e. animation quality, background art, music, seiyuu performance, direction, etc). I give Honorable Mention to March comes in like a lion and The Great Passage.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Voted for:

Konosuba - Really nice comedy show, one of the best comedy anime ever in my honest opinion. I found it really good in all senses: art, animation, character designs, writing and pacing.

Re:Zero - Really exciting thriller actually. Loved the whole idea and found it as entertaining as anything I ever watched. Its not artistically sophisticated unlike Madoka but it was as thrilling as it if not more: my blood was boiling with excitement and it's easily among the easiest shows I ever watched.

Erased - Kinda similar to Re:Zero in terms of thrilling effect but it's a more realistic and mature work (of course since its adult manga instead of teenager light novel stuff).

Pandora Crimson Shell - Ghost in the Shell meets K-On! Instant that great? Although it's a very flawed show I liked the way they try to depict how cyborg technology might evolve in the future

Magical Girl Raising Project - BrOOtal show, essentially what every animation otaku was awaiting for since Madoka. Although it's not a masterpiece IMO because it feels a bit tad heavy handed. I rank it as the weakest of the 5 shows I voted for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dash56

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad to see Fune o Amu not make it on the list. You suck amazon.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
I'm sad to see Fune o Amu not make it on the list. You suck amazon.

It's there as "The Great Passage", go ahead vote for it! Very Happy
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
Voted for:

Dagashi Kashi: I was thrilled with Hotaru's high enthusiasm for sweets and their history and how it gave Kokonotsu a crazy ride. Smile

Three Leaves, Three Colors: I enjoyed the unique personalities of the starring trio and their interactions with others that resulted in some very funny situations and a few somber moments with a few.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2