• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Valkyria: Azure Revolution Gameplay Trailer Shows Combat System

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The combat system looks more interesting than I was expecting. However, the visuals continue to disappoint, but I'm probably judging it unfairly because it is coming out on the PS4. If it was a Vita exclusive, I might feel differently.
RadiantS0l

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Not really digging the art style. Valkyria Chronicles had a somewhat playful but nice look to its WWII ear visuals. This looks more like a generic wanna-be compared to the uniqueness of the original titles. The weapons also look like they're ripped straight from God Eater. I think there are too many styles clashing as far as setting goes. Which is a shame cause I'd totally go for more Valkyria Chronicles.
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Well this is a lot different than the others.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, it's got a big tits girl who looks like Selvaria and they throw around the word Ragnite, that totally makes this Valkyria Chronicles Rolling Eyes
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
The combat system looks more interesting than I was expecting. However, the visuals continue to disappoint, but I'm probably judging it unfairly because it is coming out on the PS4. If it was a Vita exclusive, I might feel differently.

I'd understand the complaints if it were the reverse but..

Megiddo wrote:
Oh hey, it's got a big tits girl who looks like Selvaria and they throw around the word Ragnite, that totally makes this Valkyria Chronicles Rolling Eyes

Well it's not like Valkyria Chronicles 4 is in the title.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Hence why it's a spinoff. Looks interesting so far.Certainly looks more fun than VC2,which was bogged down in so many anime cliches. Hoping this isn't like that.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
After playing the 2.0 demo, my enthusiasm for this game is pretty much gone. Admittedly I don't really understand Japanese, so there could be something important I didn't catch, or maybe it's just something I'd need to "get used to," but IMO the action and strategy elements didn't mesh well at all. The controls are awkward enough that attacking enemies doesn't feel fun, and the strategy aspects feel less "thoughtful and engaging" and more "slow and boring."

The story could be fine (I certainly like the tone of the trailers, at least), the visuals are mostly good (I don't like their faces, but otherwise it's fine), and Mitsuda's score so far sounds great (I think it even has potential to be better than Sakimoto's work on the original). But the gameplay? Right now, I feel nothing but disappointment.
Rychy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Edit

Last edited by Rychy on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
another505

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Why do they have to make this more and more shonen anime-y. I liked the original cause its a like a military game with anime style with Valkyria's once in a while that won't change much of the game atmosphere. Now everyone get big swords and magic, fighting monster tanks instead of gigantic tanks (neither of them are good in my opinion)
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

You're judging a PS4 game unfairly because it's coming out on the PS4? Does that make any sense. Let's not sugar coat it. This game looks like shit compared to most PS3 games!

And then there's the complete change in gameplay from the original which was brilliant. WHO thought that would be a good idea? Let's go for some generic jrpg schlock instead. Japanese developers are awful and other than Square and Nintendo they should just give up at this point.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
You're judging a PS4 game unfairly because it's coming out on the PS4? Does that make any sense. Let's not sugar coat it. This game looks like shit compared to most PS3 games!

See that is what I think when I see it, but I could see an argument that if it is on the Vita, the PS4 version is really just a remastered Vita game and not a true PS4 game. That said, even for a Vita game this doesn't look amazing. I would say the character models are only marginally better looking than some remastered PSP games like God Eater (the MC's giant sword is just asking for people to compare the two).

redranger wrote:
And then there's the complete change in gameplay from the original which was brilliant. WHO thought that would be a good idea? Let's go for some generic jrpg schlock instead. Japanese developers are awful and other than Square and Nintendo they should just give up at this point.

Yeah, I don't know why they changed the gameplay. If they wanted a prequel story, ok cool. The VC gameplay was really fun and fairly unique. This doesn't look nearly as interesting.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
I'd understand the complaints if it were the reverse but.

I don't even... how? I can completely understand taking the other stance on the combat system, but the visuals? The original game was absolutely gorgeous. This one isn't going to make your eyes bleed or anything, but it is also certainly not even slightly impressive. Like Redranger said, there are plenty of PS360 generation games which look considerably better.

That said, let me expand on my comment on the combat system. I was expecting something incredibly boring like the new Fate game. So really, I'm not saying the combat system looks good, but that it looks like it might not be completely horrible where as the visuals are irredeemably bad.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I don't even... how? I can completely understand taking the other stance on the combat system, but the visuals? The original game was absolutely gorgeous.

The original comment I quoted had you mentioning how the visuals didn't look good on the PS4 but how your opinion would probably change if it were on the Vita. Which doesn't make sense as the Vita version would look substantially inferior to it's PS4 counterpart from a visual standpoint.

Not to mention the fact half the western fanbase weren't too keen on the 2nd and 3rd Chronicles games being PSP exclusives because they felt it dumbed down the visuals and the gameplay.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The original comment I quoted had you mentioning how the visuals didn't look good on the PS4 but how your opinion would probably change if it were on the Vita. Which doesn't make sense as the Vita version would look substantially inferior to it's PS4 counterpart from a visual standpoint.

There are two parts to that. One of them is that the basic standards for a decent looking gamearen't the same on each console. You can put all the bells and whistles on a Vita game you want, and it will never look good for a PS4 game. However, it might still look good compared to other games on the Vita (obviously without those additional graphical enhancements they do for PS4 versions).

The second is a matter of scale. Even if the Vita version is inferior to the PS4 version on a technical level because it is rendered at a higher resolution and has better aliasing and other graphical enhancements, you are looking at it on a small screen. A small handheld screen does a good job hiding aliasing, low poly count models, worse textures, etc. If you use a 55 inch tv instead of a 5 inch handheld, all of that will stand out more, and some of it like low poly models can't be fixed with graphical enhancements.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Not to mention the fact half the western fanbase weren't too keen on the 2nd and 3rd Chronicles games being PSP exclusives because they felt it dumbed down the visuals and the gameplay.

The third game didn't come out in the West. The second game was complete crap aside from the class adjustments which made them more balanced. Sure, the game would have been better off if it was designed on the PS3. However, being on the PSP wasn't really the main issue there because a lot of what they shit on compared to the first game wasn't related to that.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
this is pretty much the same battle system from Valkyria Chronicles.. it's still a Strategy RPG at its core

SRPG will not sell as many copies though
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1