• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Supreme Court Lets Nintendo's Anti-Piracy/Backup Lawsuit Victory Stand

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
Glad this got passed not as a business practice but as a practice to stop piracy. That said, it wouldn't be happening as much if region lock weren't prevalent.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
This is why I stopped buying consoles. I can make all the backup I want since I am a PC gamer. Steam has a button to do it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Glad this got passed not as a business practice but as a practice to stop piracy. That said, it wouldn't be happening as much if region lock weren't prevalent.

Trust me without the unnecessary region lock people would still be using the hell out of flash carts because some people are cheap like that.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

TBH, region lock is the reason most niche games on Nintendo systems receive better translations. (i.e. less people can import the game means more people willing to buy the translated product)

Although part of that is on the licencing end, as companies tend to charge higher on region free systems because the cheap English release will cut into their expensive Japanese release through reverse importing.
Hideki-Motosuwa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Shit....even though I don't own a 3DS, maybe I should try to buy one of these flash cards just in case I do end up buying one.....although, I still enjoy playing my PSVITA (only reason I'll get a 3DS is for Monster Hunter). <_<
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo should be focusing on removing region locks and they wouldn't have to resort to lawsuits, region locking is corporate tyranny and it needs to be removed.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Nintendo should be focusing on removing region locks and they wouldn't have to resort to lawsuits, region locking is corporate tyranny and it needs to be removed.

While I absolutely want them to do that, I really doubt region locks are the only reason Japanese 3ds owners are pirating.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The problem with a law like this is that, if the intent really is to prevent piracy, it's useless. Copyright infringement is already illegal. Anybody who intends to pirate games is not going to care if it's illegal for them to buy such a device, and there will still be ways to get one. The PC game industry has shown repeatedly by now that pirates are not your customers, and they won't suddenly go legit just because you made it harder to pirate.
msgundam2 wrote:
This is why I stopped buying consoles. I can make all the backup I want since I am a PC gamer. Steam has a button to do it.

What's funny about this is that Steam's "backup" button is useless. As long as Steam still exists, you can just re-download games, and if Steam goes out of business and disappears, those backups are worthless because they're encrypted with DRM that you can't unlock without logging in to Steam.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

What's funny about this is that Steam's "backup" button is useless. As long as Steam still exists, you can just re-download games, and if Steam goes out of business and disappears, those backups are worthless because they're encrypted with DRM that you can't unlock without logging in to Steam.

From my understanding if and when Steam goes out of business, the DRM will be removed. Am I wrong on that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1