• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Should there be a Star Wars anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
I just want to ask if a company like Production IG or Bones or ufotable should make a Star Wars anime. I mean, it would have to be Star Wars influenced and couldn't be some stupid shit or not have John Williams style music, but it could also have new characters and the like.

What do you think?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:50 am Reply with quote
No!

Star Wars does quite well as live action. I see no reason to re-do the show in animation. People do have problems with some of the movies but that has more to do with the writing then the filming. I suppose you could do side stories and the like but I doubt the international fan base would take to them.

On a practical note, the Star Wars franchise is currently owned by Disney. I think it is safe to say that if any animated chapters are made in the future that they will be handled by Disney. They have been known to do an animated feature or two, don't you know.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Star Wars was made into manga a few years ago (Episodes 4-6, anyway) Dark Horse released them in English I think.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'd also say no. Because there's no need. Star Wars already has both live action and animated segments, and there's nothing that an anime adaptation and/or unique segment would do.

Also, since it should be pointed out, when the manga was originally released over here (Wikipedia says Tokyopop released it, I don't know if it's the same one DH is currently putting out or not), was in the big "manga boom" where EVERYTHING was being released "manga style" (I remember the X-Men the Manga books). They're of Japanese origin, but I'd compare them more to something like Deltora Quest, Japanese artists adapting something popular for Japanese audiences, then a full-fledged part of the SW Universe.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Isn't UC Gundam effectively Star Wars already.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I see no reason to re-do the show in animation.

If it could be as good as Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars, I don't see why not.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
@Panzer Vor

I'm not sure I see much point in it as the basic show has been done. Not that it matters.

I can see additional chapters or side stories done in animation, but it will not be done as anime. As I mentioned Star Wars is Disney intellectual property. I simply don't see them contracting out animation to Japan, and if they did it would be under their control and to their specifications.

A Star Wars anime is simply not going to happen. Basically the Empire won.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

A Star Wars anime is simply not going to happen. Basically the Empire won.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
1st of all. kudos must be given for wording the question in such a way to avoid running afoul of the "No Speculation" rule. Even so, I find the question just plain weird. "Should"? The only "should" in the entertainment field is that producers should meet payroll!

Everything else is a matter of opinion.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
For starters NearEasterner I removed the first part of your post because there was no call for the blatant flame bait insulting comments. Do not start another thread, or make any other post for that matter, and open it with an insult to another user here. You've been warned before about insulting users.

Secondly, it's customary here when you ask a question/start a thread you provide your own opinions and answers yourself. Since you asked the question you should answer it yourself and give your own opinions. Would you want one? Why? What would you want it to be? What is this "stupid shit" you don't want to to be like? Thank you.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
There needs to be a Star Wars anime like there needed to be a Dragonball Z hollywood feature film.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's a necessity, but I would be more interested in it than those CG cartoons Disney made. Something with themes and content levels of a shonen anime would be fun to see, but otherwise I don't see a pressing need for one. As long as it's an original story and not trying to be set in a movies timelines.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but I would be more interested in it than those CG cartoons Disney made.

For my own viewing experience, Star Wars Rebels is pretty good IMO, and at the very least it is head and shoulders above most other western market aimed cartoon productions in regards to narrative and story telling.
Night fox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
"Wookiees. Meet the Wookiees. They're the modern Star Wars family..."

The Wookiees: A family sitcom set on Chewbacca's home world, featuring wookiees and written in their native tongue with focus on physical humor. Instant success! Laughing
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Isn't UC Gundam effectively Star Wars already.

Universal Century Gundam? No

If anything gundam has always been refereed to as the Star Trek of Japan to how they both were originally canceled, gained popularity during the reruns, and were revived with theatrical releases.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
There needs to be a Star Wars anime like there needed to be a Dragonball Z hollywood feature film.

This pretty much nails it for me. I love Star Wars, I love anime, and generally, I have a thing for attempts at combining seemingly disparate forms of media to make gold, but the idea of a Star Wars anime just sounds...weird.

I, personally, don't like the idea because I don't particularly enjoy the way science fiction comes out in an anime medium. Unless we're talking about something like Ergo Proxy or Ghost in the Shell, it pretty much always appears too flashy, colourful, and campy. Both of the stated examples occupy the dreary, decay-ridden, socio-political, near-future side of sci-fi. Star Wars, on the other hand, is basically your definitive modern space opera, telling a tale more mystical than scientific, and emphasising a certain level frenetic action. No offence to the Japanese, but they have not demonstrated reliably that they can pull off that sort of thing--not even in terms of personality.

If there were to be a Star Wars anime, I would want it to look something like Cowboy Bebop, but maybe a little less rusty. Even then, though, it wouldn't quite feel right.

The only other medium besides live-action film in which Star Wars has looked decent was in comics. I guess a case could be made for CGI á la The Clone Wars or Rebels, but even those felt more like properties I had to get used to, rather than matches made in heaven. I think the designs of characters like Ezra Bridger and Sabine Wren are criticised for good reason. But maybe that's the semblence of the purist in me talking. I liked the prequels, for the record. They feel very Star Wars to me, Binks and all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2