• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scrapped Princess (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow,at last, somebody is talking about Scrapped Princess!!! I wanted very much to discuss something about the heroin. What I'm about to say is purely personal, and judging from what you people are saying about this series, I assume you do not share my views.

I disliked the heroin. She's passive and throws tantrums. She has no combat ability and depends on her guardians and friends to protect her. I have other serious concerns about the way she is presented in the series but it would be politically too sensitive to make these views public. I was surely not impressed with the music and artwork.

However, I like the story line, themes and other characters in the series. The ending is very good and the heroin did change for the better.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Why is there not enough love for Zephiris?

I liked Pacifica, I liked Shannon, and I sort of liked Raquel, but Zephiris was just completely awesome. spoiler[The way she first introduced herself, her warm emotions masked by a cold exterior, her wisdom, her past, her looks, her awesome powers in battle, her voice, the way she dealed with her clone], she's definitely one of the most unique and interesting characters in the series. Despite her seemingly cold personality, she's probably one of the most caring and selfless characters in the series.

And she's completely ignored... Anime cry

Even Fulle, who was in only 3 episodes, gets mentioned more than Zephy...
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

Even Fulle, who was in only 3 episodes, gets mentioned more than Zephy...

Yes, I love Zephiris! She's cool. Pacifica is the only person I don't like. Confused

My favourite episode is where Pacifica lost her memory. That was very traumatic and emotional. I like the way the author made it possible for Pacifica to live through that dark trauma. I like the D-Knight. The story line is very well written. I had to watch it twice before I could understand.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote
This series was terrific from the opening and ending theme music, to the characters and the storyline as well. I have to admit, I didn't like Pacifica at first (brat!) but after a while and considering what she went though, okay, she may have had a reason. Besides that, when it counted, she sucked it up and dealt with it the best she could.

Yes, when spoiler[she lost her memory], she was trying to avoid what she needed to do, but who wouldn't.

The part where Furet spoiler[dies] always gets me, especially when Shannon finds him and while realizing he was trying very hard to protect someone and doesn't know that it's Pacifica.

And another hard one is when Queen Elmyr spoiler[is thrown into the cell next to Pacifica, realizes who Pacifica is (but not her "true" name) and asks Pacifica to call her "Mother."] That's a killer.

I love the twists this story provided. DuelLadyS said it best:

Quote:
I'd say that it started where I expected, it ended as I expected, but the path it took to get there went places I'd never imagined it going!
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

I liked Pacifica, I liked Shannon, and I sort of liked Raquel, but Zephiris was just completely awesome. spoiler[The way she first introduced herself, her warm emotions masked by a cold exterior, her wisdom, her past, her looks, her awesome powers in battle, her voice, the way she dealed with her clone], she's definitely one of the most unique and interesting characters in the series. Despite her seemingly cold personality, she's probably one of the most caring and selfless characters in the series.

She's not ignored Rolling Eyes ... it's just that noone needs to mention her, it's just so obvious that she is awesome. People seem to feel the need to discuss things that are... less obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WesW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
This was one of the first anime that I saw, and it has always surprised me that it wasn't more popular here. I consider it to be a minor classic at least, but on one ever seems to mention it.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
Glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought this should've got more attention...I thought this was an excellent series and would think it would get some conversations. It is one of the better series I liked, I am actually watching it again right now. I loved the ending which was one of the better endings for a series that I have seen. I actually like that scifi was mixed with the fantasy at the end, which is probably why I like Utawarerumono. Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
Wow,at last, somebody is talking about Scrapped Princess!!! I wanted very much to discuss something about the heroin. What I'm about to say is purely personal, and judging from what you people are saying about this series, I assume you do not share my views.

I disliked the heroin. She's passive and throws tantrums. She has no combat ability and depends on her guardians and friends to protect her. I have other serious concerns about the way she is presented in the series but it would be politically too sensitive to make these views public. I was surely not impressed with the music and artwork.

However, I like the story line, themes and other characters in the series. The ending is very good and the heroin did change for the better.

That's the beauty of character development. I don't believe you're supposed to like her at first. She supposed to be a weak spoiled brat that through experience is traumatized and humbled into a more rounded person. Being useless and always protected was part of her plight as a character. (Not to mention she could be kind of social commentary arcitype as there's plenty of people just like her in the real world.) I really wish they would have made her a little more competant with magic or weaponry though personally.
blizeH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:56 am Reply with quote
Cheers for all of the replies guys! Nice to see some Scrapped Princess appreciation on here. Smile I've also edited my spoiler tag, apologies for that!

ivorymoose wrote:
I disliked the heroin. She's passive and throws tantrums. She has no combat ability and depends on her guardians and friends to protect her.

For me, that was part of her charm. She came across as sometimes being a little brash and acting like a spoilt child, but underneath all of that you knew she was very vulnerable, and also a very good person.

frentymon wrote:

I thought she was great! It was absolutely fantastic when you saw her at the end too, bought a big smile to my face!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:45 am Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
If the heroin is bad, give cocaine a try Neutral Sorry, I'm a bit of an ass when it comes to spelling errors that offer humorous misinterpretations.

Well, I suppose I should check in on this post and add to the Scrapped Princess love...Scrapped Princess has been my favorite anime series ever since I first asked myself, "Hmm, what should my favorite anime be?" In fact, I can probably trace my discovery of ANN and my journey into the world of fansubbing from SP, after stumbling upon the local anime club and happening to catch just a few minutes of episode 2 about 3 years ago.

One of the main reasons that it earned that position is that it's a little bit of everything--drama, comedy, romance, action, fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, and more, all without feeling jumbled or mixed; I've always been drawn to series that can effectively mix genres (for instance, Full Metal Panic! appeals to me more than the typical mecha series), and SP is one of the best examples of such mixing.

Characters: Almost none of the characters are pointless or irritating, and I especially like Pacifica. Sure, she's bratty, pouty, immature, and lacking in combat skills, but that makes her more real and "anti-heroic." She really is just an average girl who gets this destiny thrust upon her, yet like Leo says, she has a certain noble grace about her that you can't help but respect.

Technical value: While some of the animation is iffy (lots of blowing-hair loops, stop-motion horses), the characters and backgrounds are colorful and pretty, and the budget comes through where it counts--the fight scene in episode 21 is the finest I've ever seen, even with almost 3 years and many other anime gone by since then. The music--sure, it's not mindblowing, but it's effective where it needs to be. The OP is a great mood-setter, and the closer just cruelly cuts in to so many cliff-hangers at the ends of episodes.

Villains--perhaps one of the greatest reasons why I like Scrapped Princess so much. Most of the time in the fantasy genre, whether it's mediocre anime like Arc the Lad and Final Fantasy Unlimited or the 1990s high-mark standard for fantasy anime, Slayers, the protagonist(s) are up against some kind of evil-personified shadowy character who wants to destroy or enslave the world for some reason or another. (Even Tolkien was guilty of this.) In SP, however, there's no black and white; everyone is acting for the sake of what they believe to be the good and just thing to do, and the way it all plays out (to a very complete ending for a 24-episode series) is fascinating to watch. But as antagoinsts go, the Peacemakers are still pretty bad-ass.
DeltaKiral wrote:
I thought that the series was very good, and I can't wait for the novel to be released by TokyoPop.
Novel Vol. 1 has already been released, and I can't wait for the second to come out in January--the first novel alone adds a lot to the story, and reading the novels will be like discovering the series all over again.
Selenta wrote:
Any news on a boxset?
Considering it's Bandai, I'm surprised they didn't try to throw one together for the holiday season, since Vol. 6 came out back in January. I haven't heard any news on a set, but I'd imagine it'll come out by June or July in time to reach the dealers' room at AX and other major summer cons. I'm sure it'll be at some low price like $60 MSRP, but for my favorite series, it was worth it to get all the LEs as they came out.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:20 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I love it and it is one of my favorites but people, especially FMA fans, seem to regard it as a knock-off of Fullmetal Alchemist or it just another adventure anime.

Why? I know they were both produced by studio bones so I see what they might be on to.

It's been a year since I watched it. Scrapped Princess is one of my favorite animes of all that I watched. But I felt a couple or so things kept it from being perfect with me. Like the ending. I don't know about anything else but it disappointed me. But still, it's great and one of my top favorites. I plan on rewatching it again someday. The characters were great. As for my favorite character in Scrapped Princess, Christopher.
blizeH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:44 am Reply with quote
fwiw, I posted this onto three forums to see basically what recieved the best response so I could use it as my 'regular' anime forum, this was a clear winner, cheers guys!

And here's one thing I didn't really understand: spoiler[Mauser seemed very happy that Pacifca made the choice that she did, so why exactly did she encourage the people and the Peacemakers to kill her?]
zliplus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
blizeH wrote:
And here's one thing I didn't really understand: spoiler[Mauser seemed very happy that Pacifca made the choice that she did, so why exactly did she encourage the people and the Peacemakers to kill her?]

The whole answer pretty much needs to be spoilered, so...

spoiler[Mauser did not encourage the people or the Peacemakers to kill her. In fact, Mauser did not really do much of anything at all, despairing in her loneliness. Her servants, wanting to protect her and their system of order, took it upon themselves to kill Pacifica because she would destroy Mauser and the "world."]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I accidently discovered this anime. I was looking for something unusual and interesting at the same time and I came across this title. I remebered to have read the review on the ANN (thank God for that!) and I took it.

I love this series and I'm just happy that there's finally a thread about it. I enjoyed every bit of it. The characters are really interesting and I liked the fact that they were different which made the charm of the anime getting even stronger. I mean the interaction between Shannon and Pacifica was pretty amusing and at the same time interesting. What I enjoyed even more was the fact that the story never evolved the way I thought it would, which made me getting anxious about what was going to happen. spoiler[Especially in the episodes when Pacifica loses her memory (though I kind of hate memory-loss tricks) and she meets Fulle, another very interesting character.]

And btw, I have to agree with Key.
Key wrote:
Quote:
Also has one of my all-time favorite quotes from an anime (spoken by Shannon in episode 19, I think): "What is the worth of this world if my little sister can't live in it?"

Definetly something to remember.
I particulalry liked Shannon for being a person very powerful and yet not being very aware of it. He is tricky: sometimes he gives his heart fully and accepts everybody spoiler[like what happened with Cz - a mysterious character for me - ], other times he mistruts people and he gets stubborn spoiler[like in case of Zephiris - one of the most enjoyable characters in the anime].

There are many sad and melancholic aspects in the series but nonetheless I enjoyed the fact that the end is quite great without being unrealistic and I was glad that spoiler[ Zephiris remained with them. ] Embarassed Childish but what can I do?! Embarassed Wink
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
Wow,at last, somebody is talking about Scrapped Princess!!! I wanted very much to discuss something about the heroin.

Sorry, we don't discuss things like that around here.

Quote:
I disliked the heroin.

Well, I would hope so.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Twisted Evil )

Back on the subject he was trying to talk about: I always loved Pacifica as a heroine because she was such an interesting and atypical balance. Though decidedly bratty, she was also deeply sensitive, to the point that she would rather die than see people hurt because of her. And despite a horrible onus to live under and the fact that everyone around her could be a threat to her, she still managed to maintain a positive attitude, be forthright and friendly, and generally look at situations optimistically. Despite the problems she caused them, it was also always clear that she deeply cared for her siblings.

Some have commented that they didn't care for her much because she was basically helpless and incompetent. I instead see her more as an ultimate enabler: others are inspired to act (usually on her behalf) because of her, and her power allows others to act when they normally couldn't. Look at how many people she won over to her side over the course of the series without really trying, and how she's spoiler[able to counteract the effect the Peacemakers have on people]. Those are deceptively potent talents and abilities. On her own she's nothing, but she makes the group better by her presence.

The one quibble I always had with the series was that so much emphasis was placed on the Shannon/Pacifica relationship that Raquel got well under-used, as some of my favorite scenes are the ones where Raquel truly asserted herself. (Such as the one in the BUG nest.) But it's a minor quibble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4