• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bobobo-Bo Bo-bobo lives!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
According to the June 2007 issue of Shonen Jump that I just received in the mail (& a little earlier than expected at that), it says that Bobobo-Bo Bo-bobo is going to be serialized in Shonen Jump, starting in the July 2007 issue!

Here's a scan, for proof.

Personally, I'm really happy that Viz is finally giving Bo^7 an actual chance in the market. Maybe it's because of Gintama, or maybe the series was deemed popular enough to release. In any case, I'm happy.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Personally, I'm really happy that Viz is finally giving Bo^7 an actual chance in the market. Maybe it's because of Gintama, or maybe the series was deemed popular enough to release. In any case, I'm happy.

It's rather annoying to have VIZ Media put out a bastardized volume, effectively making it a moot purchase if they churn out real volumes, just because they're too scared to take a chance of a bold and stylish title.

Frankly, I'd rather Shueisha strip VIZ of the license and have some other manga company (like ADV Manga, who I was just introduced to through Azumanga Daioh last night - WOW!!) get it; these half-arsed foot-dippings are just irritated, since if Bo^7 really is a title so expensive VIZ doesn't want to take a chance on, they shouldn't even have it in the first place, entitlement or not.

Bo^7 isn't really SJ material anyway; the humour seems to be something only a more seasoned mind can enjoy.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Hey...OT, but how was the Hoshin Engi preview. I'm curious about how they translated some things. Did they leave "paopei" and "dashinben" as is?

Malintex Terek wrote:

Bo^7 isn't really SJ material anyway; the humour seems to be something only a more seasoned mind can enjoy.

But...it is SJ material...that's where it comes from. Your mind doesn't have to be that "seasoned" to get it. Obviously, alot of the word play will be lost in translation, but a good deal of the humor is visual slapstick humor.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
It's rather annoying to have VIZ Media put out a bastardized volume, effectively making it a moot purchase if they churn out real volumes, just because they're too scared to take a chance of a bold and stylish title.

Honestly, from a business perspective it makes perfect sense. Bo^7 is such a bizarre title that it's virtually impossible to judge how successful it will be. A teaser volume is a good way to do that, and if it didn't catch on and sell enough to be profitable, well, at least that one volume would be out.

It seems people lose sight that publishing manga is a business, and the company has got to make money or it will cease to exist. Better for them to be too cautious than for them to blow all their money on series that don't end up selling.

Malintex wrote:
Frankly, I'd rather Shueisha strip VIZ of the license and have some other manga company (like ADV Manga, who I was just introduced to through Azumanga Daioh last night - WOW!!) get it

Ha! Wow, is that a joke? You do know that most of ADV's manga titles are unfinished, and that the ones that have been finished have seen delays of months if not a year or more? They're getting back on their feet with Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days, which is coming out right on time as far as I know, but ADV Manga's track record has been pretty piss poor so far, AzuDai not withstanding.

Malintex wrote:
these half-arsed foot-dippings are just annoying, since if Bo^7 really is a title so expensive VIZ doesn't want to take a chance on, they shouldn't even hold onto it since there IS a demand.

But Viz IS releasing it now. I'm not sure exactly what it is you have a problem with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:

But...it is SJ material...that's where it comes from. Your mind doesn't have to be that "seasoned" to get it. Obviously, alot of the word play will be lost in translation, but a good deal of the humor is visual slapstick humor.

My apologies, I should have specified American SJ; VIZ tattooed Bo^7 with a "Shounen Jump Advanced" marker because their overpaid marketing department determined that it's not a title that would naturally appeal to children.

Personally, I find the manga outrageous (in a positive way), since it's more unhinged/crazy than Jojo, but the anime is pretty darn tame and I find myself having to force a laugh at some points. Heck, I got more of a laugh when the script writers, who seem to know that Bobobo can be tiring, inserted a "this episode sucks" line during one of Hatenko's first appearences.

I do not mean to say that only educated adults can enjoy Bobobo, I just don't think children have the patience for its weird humour. I mean, some of the gags take some thought, and in comparison to The Fairly Odd Parents which throws in a joke every five seconds (I kid you not), which is usually relevant to a child in some way (including the inside-jokes), Bo^7 is "high-brow" humour.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Buster:
Quote:
According to the June 2007 issue of Shonen Jump that I just received in the mail (& a little earlier than expected at that), it says that Bobobo-Bo Bo-bobo is going to be serialized in Shonen Jump, starting in the July 2007 issue!

I'm surprised they chose to serialize Bo^7, but stopped Gin Tama. I guess they really hope to make money off the GNs of the latter title. Anyway, it's nice to know I'll have a reason to continue Jump, when Yu Yu Hakusho is done.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

Honestly, from a business perspective it makes perfect sense.

No, it doesn't. Spending money on a title and then sitting on the license because one is too afraid to "lose" money on actual production is lunacy, even with something as cheap as Bo^7; the licensing costs are bound to exceed the revenue from a single volume, no?

Unless VIZ Media got its manga for nothing, at which I would agree with you.

jgreen wrote:

Bo^7 is such a bizarre title that it's virtually impossible to judge how successful it will be. A teaser volume is a good way to do that, and if it didn't catch on and sell enough to be profitable, well, at least that one volume would be out.

And from the volume sales Bo^7 hasn't been very successful; it's mostly the rants and raves of the fans that is getting VIZ Media to reconsider, which is why they're so hesitant - those are seemingly empty promises.

What I dislike is that VIZ is playing stop and go with the title - they're just teasing the fans with minor releases but not really delivering any real goods. If they're gonna go forward with the title, they should JUMP ON IN (hah). I'm sure there are other manga companies that would grab Bo^7 if given the opportunity, and this indecision is really aggravating some people (not me, but friends of mine) - they'll eventually get tired of begging for Bo^7 and no one will be better off.

jgreen wrote:

It seems people lose sight that publishing manga is a business, and the company has got to make money or it will cease to exist. Better for them to be too cautious than for them to blow all their money on series that don't end up selling.

I doubt people lost sight of that at all, but one of the biggest mysteries of the manga world is How much does VIZ Media have to pay for its manga? I'm inclined to think nothing, and that the only costs are the capital necessary to to distribute the title - at which, it would make sense for VIZ Media to be scared.

But, in contrast, if they've spent money on Bo^7 it's idiocy to do nothing after paying a sunk cost. They shouldn't have paid Shueisha if they were afraid it wouldn't sell.

jgreen wrote:

Ha! Wow, is that a joke? You do know that most of ADV's manga titles are unfinished, and that the ones that have been finished have seen delays of months if not a year or more? They're getting back on their feet with Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days, which is coming out right on time as far as I know, but ADV Manga's track record has been pretty piss poor so far, AzuDai not withstanding.

I'm aware of their scheduling difficulties, but I was really impressed with how they handled their manga; great cover design, binding that didn't make the manga seem like the pages were glued together, high quality paper - the package was very impressive. Sure, they didn't edit the SFX artwork but who really cares? I'd say that's a virtue, since it leaves a little of the Japanese flavour to the reading.

jgreen wrote:

But Viz IS releasing it now. I'm not sure exactly what it is you have a problem with.

It's not enough.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

I was also rather annoyed that they released some standalone volume, for that reason.

bahamut623 wrote:
Hey...OT, but how was the Hoshin Engi preview. I'm curious about how they translated some things. Did they leave "paopei" and "dashinben" as is?

I did a quick flip-through of the Hoshin Engi preview, and "dashinben" was left alone, and "paopei" lost the "i," and is now "paope."

They also left the -sama honourific in too. which surprised me. Though since I've never read any scanlations (with the exception of 2 titles), I wouldn't know if there were supposed to be other honourifics or not.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
How did you get the new issue already? We are only half way to May 1st.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I'm surprised they chose to serialize Bo^7, but stopped Gin Tama. I guess they really hope to make money off the GNs of the latter title. Anyway, it's nice to know I'll have a reason to continue Jump, when Yu Yu Hakusho is done.

I agree. I'd rather it be a straight-to-manga release, as I'm eventually going to stop my serialization of SJ, and I'm probably going to be missing 1-2 odd volumes on my bookshelf by the time I stop subscribing. I'd also rather see fewer titles being serialized in exchange for more chapters for their already existing titles in the magazine, especially for Yu-Gi-Oh! Millenium World. The series would've been done this year if it wasn't for their recent string of 1-chapter ver issue releases recently (though the June 2007 issue finally had 2 chapters, though who knows how long that's going to keep up). Come on, Viz!

Well, Gintama was intended to be serialized for only one volume, but what pisses me off is that Viz won't be serializing the final 2 Chapters of Vol. 1, meaning that I actually have to buy Vol. 1 to read those extra 2 chapters. I know that Viz wants to make money (it is a company after all), but to not serialize the last 2 chapters makes me feel cheated in that I have to spend more money on a volume that I'm only buying to read 2-chapters worth of new content.

Ichigo77 wrote:
How did you get the new issue already? We are only half way to May 1st.

I honestly don't know. Like I said, I just somehow got it earlier that usual. Confused
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote
double post Anime hyper

Last edited by bahamut623 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I actually started liking YGO, and I'm exicted for the ending. GX is just bad.
I agree: less series, more chapters. For comparison, Bleach came out in the US about 2 or 3 years after One Piece did. Bleach is currently at 18 volumes, OP is at 12ish. It's too long a wait. I already gave into scanlation temptation for One Piece (I'm sorry, I don't wanna wait 10 years to read Skypiea), and I've been teetering on the edge for SK and Naruto (although the anime already surpassed so it's all good).

Buster Blader 126 wrote:

bahamut623 wrote:

I did a quick flip-through of the Hoshin Engi preview, and "dashinben" was left alone, and "paopei" lost the "i," and is now "paope."

They also left the -sama honourific in too. which surprised me. Though since I've never read any scanlations (with the exception of 2 titles), I wouldn't know if there were supposed to be other honourifics or not.

Interesting about the -sama thing, the few honorifics I do remember were -dono and suusu(sp?), both were only for Taikoubou and they start calling him that a bit later on. If they left in -sama, suusu will probably stay as well. . As for dashinben and paope/i, they're left pretty much fine, and that was one of few things I could see them altering. Was there any mention of "sennin" or "youkai"? Paope isn't a problem to me either. It is supposed to be Chinese based, so maybe that's closer to a Chinese spelling (?). Looks like it would be pronounced the same anyway.
I REALLY recommend Houshin Engi btw. It's my favorite Jump series, and my favorite manga in general. The best shonen you will ever read, I promise you.[/quote]
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Yea, I actually started liking YGO, and I'm exicted for the ending. GX is just bad.
I agree: less series, more chapters. For comparison, Bleach came out in the US about 2 or 3 years after One Piece did. Bleach is currently at 18 volumes, OP is at 12ish. It's too long a wait. I already gave into scanlation temptation for One Piece (I'm sorry, I don't wanna wait 10 years to read Skypiea), and I've been teetering on the edge for SK and Naruto (although the anime already surpassed so it's all good).

Buster Blader 126 wrote:

bahamut623 wrote:

Interesting about the -sama thing, the few honorifics I do remember were -dono and suusu(sp?), both were only for Taikoubou and they start calling him that a bit later on. If they left in -sama, suusu will probably stay as well. . As for dashinben and paope/i, they're left pretty much fine, and that was one of few things I could see them altering. Was there any mention of "sennin" or "youkai"? Paope isn't a problem to me either. It is supposed to be Chinese based, so maybe that's closer to a Chinese spelling (?). Looks like it would be pronounced the same anyway.
I REALLY recommend Houshin Engi btw. It's my favorite Jump series, and my favorite manga in general. The best shonen you will ever read, I promise you.
[/quote]

To be fair, Viz has in fact sped up its serializations of One Piece and Naruto, as we often see 3 chapters being serialized, which then leads to the manga being released quarterly, no doubt due to them being such large franchises (& Naruto's popularity). I find that a quarterly release would be the most acceptable and appropriate for Viz's serialized titles, more specifically their longer titles.

Hikaru no Go and Yu Yu Hakusho can be left along as it is ATM, as YYH will/should be done in 2-3 years while it'll take HnG about 4-5. Though it seems like even they're slowing down. YYH's serialization is being slowed down for sure, as the wait between the manga releases have increased to 5 months, while HnG seems to alternate between a 4-month wait to a five-month wait every volume.

But Viz honestly needs to release Shaman King faster, as it's way past its prime here in North America. They should either serialize 3 chapters per issue to speed up the release, or stop serializing it all together and release the rest in a straight-to-manga format, like what they did for Dragon Ball Z.

As for your new question, the -dono honourific wasn't there, but "susu," "sennin," and "yokai" were present in the chapter.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Buster:
Quote:

I was under the impression that the Gintama serialization was just a promotional thing. It says in the last chapter issued "Be sure to buy the first volume when it hits shelves this June" or something like that. This Bobobo-bobo-bobo serialization might be the same thing. Either way, it's nice to see a new manga in the mix. I'm still going to miss Gintama though... Crying or Very sad
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Id rather Viz put more chapters in then add a new manga. It would be nice if they put enough in to give One Piece and Naruto a bi monthly release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2