• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mentions of Australia in anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:34 am Reply with quote
Well, thanks,Nom De Plume De Fanboy. I appreciate that you said that. Hopefully,one day,I'll learn a little more about this. I may do a search of it. And,who knows? Hopefully,Errinundra will like it as well.
Torakatsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Shoutout to Joshikousei no Mudazukai for making the tolken halfu character an Aussie!
CPOK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
ShinoMatrix wrote:
There's a future-styled version of the Sydney Opera House in Macross Frontier.

I know this is going back a fair bit, but there was alot more small details in Macross Frontier that was Australian. The Taxi is a good example (1998-2002 Ford Falcon AU in yellow cam livery for example)
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:29 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Fremantle, Australia, is a stop-over on the way to Antarctica in episode seven of Sora yori mo Tooi Basho ("A Place Further than the Universe"). We don't see much of anything of Australia itself, unlike the Singapore episode which has more of a travelogue feel. The girls spend most of their time on the ship as it prepares for the last leg of their journey.

There's a short sequence where they visit Fremantle Market. Here's a couple of screenshots from the episode and a couple of photos I've purloined from the internet. It's a long time since I visited Fremantle.

The banners in the last image provide a good example of the Australian predilection for diminutives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:53 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
georgiab wrote:
I believe Australia was mentioned in Gunbuster but I can't remember the details, I watched it that long ago. I think spoiler[there was a shot of the country from space, and it was uninhabited/dark because reconstruction efforts after the alien attack had not begun there]. Feel free to correct me.
Hmmm, I have no memory of the scene. But I was planning on rewatching Gunbuster with a friend tomorrow evening, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

ailblentyn wrote:
You're quite right about Gunbuster, georgiab: the scene in the space elevator. I'm embarrassed I'd forgotten.

Image:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr Nelg wrote:
...Rhea Gall Force
This one is actually set in Australia, but again, it could be anywhere. The plot has humanity surviving in a Terminator style future, where the resistance is trying to prevent humanity on Mars from blowing up the whole continent with their death ray to win the war...

Image:

The two human generals Dominov and Nelson (representing the "eastern" and "western" factions of the surviving humans) can't agree on battlefield tactics against their common robotic enemy. As the map reveals, the humans are eking out their existence in Oceania. It also looks like ocean levels have risen.

The sequel Earth Chapter series continues with the setting.
Raftar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
I was watching Stellvia ep. 13 today and smiled to see Canberra included on the spaceport departures board. I was trying to think what other mentions of Australia I could remember from anime, but the only reference I could think of off the top of my head was a shot in Strawberry Marshmallow which shows a souvenir koala holding an Australian flag in Chika's room https://19216801.onl/ https://routerlogin.uno/.
Can anyone think of others?

(This question strikes me because I am Australian by the way, though living in America at the moment.)

I just realized I can't recall ever seeing direct references to Australia (i.e. dialogue discussing Australia or actual Aussie characters--not just on maps and globes) in anime.

Where are all the strayan sayans?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4