• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommend an anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blizeH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote
... for my mum! Smile

Whenever I watch anime she thinks it's incredibly odd, so I'd love to show her something that she'll enjoy and prove how very, very wrong she is.

I'm after something that isn't 'silly', and absolutely must have a dubbed version because I doubt she'd want to watch anything fully subbed.

I've got a Ghibli box set, but haven't watched any of them yet, so if you'd like to recommend one of those that'd be a huge bonus since I already own them, heh.

Cheers
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
Hello.

Here's a link that will help you find anime to watch and I'm sure it will even help you find something for your mom to watch:

Looking for a new anime to watch? Click here to know how.

Here's a link that will tell you:

NO recommendation threads allowed right now!

Both are stickied topics at the top of this forum and not hard to find at all. And the second one also tells you the guidelines for a proper recommendations thread, should they allow them again sometime.

Actually since this is an interesting request, I'll try to throw out a couple of names.

Haibane Renmei is a wonderful series and it really does not have an age group that it is particularly aimed at. Although all the characters are very young, I think that the storytelling is very well crafted and is a bit deeper than most shows. Certainly not random silliness.

Gunslinger Girl. Don't let the name fool you. This series is not just a rockin' action packed series. I think this is very well done also, and is another series that has a variety of levels to it. This series is also easier to find because it is not only available on DVD, it has a recently released box set that you can find pretty cheap almost anywhere, and is also playing on the Funi channel and will be on IFC starting in January.

Don't have a lot of time to write more, but if you want to read more of what I like about these shows look them up on my Top 20 list. And don't discount 'silly', my Mom used to sit down and watch Ranma 1/2 with me almost everyday and used to laugh almost as much as me. I think a couple of silly titles a mom might enjoy are Azumanga Daioh and Fruits Basket. Although I think these are both deceptively silly; there's a bit more to them than just random fun.

And, good luck with the anime hunt.

ETA: All the titles I mentioned do have dubs available.

Last edited by undeadben on Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
blizeH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote
Oops, I apologise for creating the thread without reading that sticky, I kind of got ahead of myself and posted without thinking. Sorry!

Huge thanks for the links and recommendations too, much appreciated! I'm sort of after a movie for now, just something under two hours that she can watch and then hopefully make her mind up from that, if she enjoys it then maybe she'd consider a series too so I'll bear those links in mind, but yeah, preferably movies (sorry for failing to mention this earlier!)
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
Ok, killing my last 5 minutes I'll say that my two favorite anime movies will not be in your Ghibli pak. Spirited Away and my favorite animated film, anime or otherwise, Millennium Actress. Millennium Actress has a UK dub but I don't know if it's available anywhere, but I know it has a sub only release and I would recommend that movie to almost anyone, even if they don't like reading subs.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1