• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GITS: Solid State

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I have recently watched GITS: Solid State and was somewhat let down. Compared to the first movie, this one neither posses the same level as elegance nor was it as smoothed around the edges. The fact that spoiler[Motoko leaves section 9 and she is made to seem like a bad person] bothers me. The misleading there was not necessary. Although it was good compared to othe anime movies such as Ninja Resurrection, it just was not on par with series or first movie.

One question that arose for me at the end of the movie was whether this was put together crudely and quickly in order to act as a transition to a third season of GITS. If so, then I would say it served its purpose well. Maybe it is just wishful thinking that so many of us have, but does anyone know if there will be a third season on GITS?
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
Probably just wishful thinking, yeah. I too wasn't quite as impressed as I was hoping to be, especially considering what a 'big fuss' they made over people subbing it; then again, maybe they were making such a big fuss to try and keep it a secret so people will buy it on brand name alone.

That said, it was still a decent movie, even if the explanations were even internally lacking. The execution was rather clumsy... but the plot was probably one of my favorites from GitS. It was a good movie overall, and had a lot of really good action, even for GitS. I particularly liked the scene outside the big building with the tachikomas and everyone running around Very Happy I don't even know why. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
The plot wasn't as complex as the first or second seasons of the TV series, but it was definitely clearer and much more easy to follow in terms of the story. Lacking in plot? Hardly. And the misleading of Motoko's character was a small twist as a plot hooker; nothing to make a big deal out of.

Out of the two seasons and the movie, I liked the movie the most. Although it may not be as complex as the TV series, the movie was extremely well made with only a timeframe of 1 hour 50 minutes.

As for continuance, I remember reading somewhere in which the creator said that the movie was not the end of Ghost in the Shell (Don't take my word for it though). But, no official announcements have been made about a next season.
patch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
Haven't read any of your comments since they seem spoilerful, but anything in the GiTS univerise is much better dubbed in english in my opinion, so I've not bothered with the fansubs on this one.

There is typically a ton of 'deep' dialogue, mosty where the characters are talking off screen or over the net, so it seems it gives the US production company much more flexibility on recording the English version than a typical anime. Besides, there such great visuals in this series, I don't want to miss a thing Smile
Johnni86

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
I thought it was great, not as good as the whole TV series but still great. I think the reason it wasn't as good was that it kind of felt like a really long episode as opposed to a stand alone movie, but it also had to be contained because it was a movie. It does defiantly feel like there will be more down the road to the GitS so I would bet there is more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1