• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Death Note (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 12 volumes, written by Tsugumi Ohba, illustrated by Takeshi Obata)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Madhouse

Genres: drama, mystery, psychological, supernatural, thriller

Themes: crime, detective, idealism, magical item, police, shinigami, tragedy

Plot Summary: Yagami Light is an ace student with great prospects, who's bored out of his mind. One day he finds the "Death Note": a notebook from the realm of the Death Gods, with the power to kill people in any way he desires. With the Death Note in hand, Light decides to create his perfect world, without crime or criminals. However, when criminals start dropping dead one by one, the authorites send the legendary detective L to track down the killer, and a battle of wits, deception and logic ensues...

Air Date & Platform:
October 3, 2006 (Tuesday)
Available on: Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, FUNimation, HBO Max, Hulu, Pluto, Tubi

Episode Count / Runtime: 37 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to Tony K.'s post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

(Note: The arc names are fan-made, but will hopefully help break the series down for easier time management or binge-watching)

(Light vs. L)
Episode 01: Rebirth
Episode 02: Confrontation
Episode 03: Dealings
Episode 04: Pursuit

Episode 05: Tactics
Episode 06: Unraveling
Episode 07: Overcast

Episode 08: Glare
Episode 09: Encounter
Episode 10: Doubt

(Second Kira)
Episode 11: Assault
Episode 12: Love
Episode 13: Confession

Episode 14: Friend
Episode 15: Wager
Episode 16: Decision

(Yotsuba)
Episode 17: Execution
Episode 18: Ally
Episode 19: Matsuda

Episode 20: Makeshift
Episode 21: Performance
Episode 22: Guidance

Episode 23: Frenzy
Episode 24: Revival
Episode 25: Silence

(Mello)
Episode 26: Renewal
Episode 27: Abduction
Episode 28: Impatience
Episode 29: Father

(Wammy)
Episode 30: Justice

(Final)
Episode 31: Transfer
Episode 32: Selection
Episode 33: Scorn

Episode 34: Vigilance
Episode 35: Malice
Episode 36: 1.28
Episode 37: New World

OP1 (w/ Lyrics): "The World" by Nightmare
ED1 (w/ Lyrics): "Alumina" by Nightmare

OP2: "What's Up People?" by Maximum the Hormone
ED2: "Desperate Billy" by Maximum the Hormone

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

I thought it was really good - the only problem is they didn't end with the police and L, but it's still great. I hope a subtitle will be up in about a week...

The coolest part was when Light/Raito was writing the names down, and the victims went flying through the air, falling through glass, and falling off buildings. It was so dramatic, it was funny. The opening theme was great, but Misa's hair was purple... Confused But it was blonde on the TV on the side of a building during the end theme.
hautacam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
I am impressed with the adaptation, its much better than I thought it would be. I think this series is darker and much more entertaining as an anime. It would be nice to see a sub version so I could understand all the dialogue instead of just bits and pieces of it.
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
I have to say that was quite interesting. Mad house has really out done them selves. I might have to stop hating them now.

As for the first episode, I loved it. The animation and espicaly the Music, were both incredible! I really hope that we will get a Relese sometime next year.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
That really made my day Cool That was the best visuals and music that I have seen and heard in a while. Light didn't sound like anything that I imagined in my head while reading the manga, but I could get used to that.

So far there haven't been any glaring alterations to the manga, though that scene with the bikers made me wince, if the others episodes would match the quality of this one then this could end up being one of the best manga adoptions in a while.
rikuXwaffles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to see more of this show. Or at least episode 1 with subtitles. I really like the theme and ending songs. The make Raito seem so much more evil. Sometimes his eyes even look red. I was hoping to see L, but hopefully that'll be the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
oh sorry...i didn't know i couldn't post fansubs.

the only differences I saw were Light/Raito putting the notebook back down then picking it back up, The bikers trying to undo that girls' pants, not ending with L and the police, and Ryuk taking those apples
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first raw myself... wow. Madhouse looks to be doing a pretty darn good job here. I didn't like Light though, they make him seem like much more maniacal and evil than he seemed in the manga. The primary reason I liked him so much in the manga was because they protrayed him as someone with arguably good selfless intentions who then seemingly gets distracted, but in the anime, they seem to take him as a person who has the selfish intentions of his primary goal being to reign over the world.

I guess it's just a difference of interpretation, but I really think it's going too far to make him look really evil with the long shadows on his face and the red glowing eyes in the intro and ending. I think madhouse should have gone with a little more of a "clean-cut" style than they ended up chosing. It looks really dirty and grimy, a feeling I really didn't get from the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I_AM_L wrote:
the only differences I saw were Light/Raito putting the notebook back down then picking it back up, The bikers trying to undo that girls' pants, not ending with L and the police, and Ryuk taking those apples

I thought that scene with Ryuk finding that many apples in Light's room was a bit weird; how many teenagers nowadays would keep that much nutrituous food in their bedroom Confused I checked the manga again and saw that Ryuk's craving for apples was introduced in the second chapter, right after L was introduced.
Shigurei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Repost~

Well the anime of Death Note covered most of the manga but still left stuff out so i think that people who saw the anime should see the manga to just in case.
Webki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
You can't be that perfectionist when it comes to turning a manga into an anime. If they did it panel for panel, it wouldn't be as good.

Personally, I found the first episode to be awesome. It was well animated, the characters were well done, and it was a great way to kick off what I hope will be an excellent adaptation. Can't wait until the next episode comes.

spoiler[I enjoyed the line that Ryuuk said when she said something along the lines of (roughly translated by me) "These apples are amazing! So juicy..." Heh. ]
free2slap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I_AM_L wrote:
The coolest part was when Light/Raito was writing the names down, and the victims went flying through the air, falling through glass, and falling off buildings. It was so dramatic, it was funny. The opening theme was great, but Misa's hair was purple... Confused But it was blonde on the TV on the side of a building during the end theme

Actually this too was my favorite part. I just got my first taste of this so called popular anime and by one episode i admit i'm impressed.

I quoted those lines from what i acknowledge the essence which excited me more.

Quote:
spoiler[I'll make this a world inhabited by only the people i acknowledge as good]

Quote:
spoiler[I will be the god of the new world]

I've had enough of main characters with their concept of saving this or that, characters who upon their behavoirs are always acting good. Light doesn't come far away from this concept too but his plans or his thoughts which i quoted above make him more insane than good. I hope he keeps that same attitude on every episodes but i doubt it.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
free2slap wrote:
I've had enough of main characters with their concept of saving this or that, characters who upon their behavoirs are always acting good. Light doesn't come far away from this concept too but his plans or his thoughts which i quoted above make him more insane than good. I hope he keeps that same attitude on every episodes but i doubt it.

Actually, I think that's kind of the point with Light. The point isn't that he's some psycho who got ahold of the book, but a perfectly normal, extremely intelligent kid with the right intentions (although with almost Machiavellian methods). He really didn't strike me as 'insane' in the manga, so I was a considerably disappointed with the anime for interpreting him as such. Hopefully they will try and 'light'en (if you'll excuse the bad pun) his character in the next few episodes. Either way... I can completely see how many people (who happen to fit in perfectly with Light's view on humanity now that I think about it, damn this is deep!) would choose to interpret him as insane for the show, so I guess I can only be so disappointed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Acinom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
The anime definately is an impressive work, production-wise. Everyone who posted before me, basically has it down that the animation and music score are top notch. However, the emphasis of the anime seems to have been put on an overdone (in my opinion anyway) apocalyptic atmosphere. Don't get me wrong. The people in charge of the project did a marvelous job, but like selenta I interpreted the manga a bit different.
Now, I love psycho characters as much as the next person, but I felt that Raito/Light in the first episode barely fell short of your stereotypical nutcase. One of the interesting aspects of the manga was that even though Raito's/Light's aspirations were that of every other villian (ex: molding the world to fit his ideals and become it's leader/god/overlord) he went about it rational and logical ways while staying relatively composed (making him a bit unpredictable, thus an interesting character to observe).
The first episode just makes me worry that the emphasis won't be put on the battle of wits between Raito/Light and L but rather on wowing the fans with the how dark and atmospheric the anime can be.
tsukinoken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow the animation quality is top notch in this, I'm very impressed if they can keep this up through the entire series we could have a very great anime on our hands.And it spoiler[put a smirk on my face in the first scene where one of Light's classmates in English was playing a Nintendo D.S .]
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Acinom wrote:
The anime definately is an impressive work, production-wise. Everyone who posted before me, basically has it down that the animation and music score are top notch. However, the emphasis of the anime seems to have been put on an overdone (in my opinion anyway) apocalyptic atmosphere. Don't get me wrong. The people in charge of the project did a marvelous job, but like selenta I interpreted the manga a bit different.
Now, I love psycho characters as much as the next person, but I felt that Raito/Light in the first episode barely fell short of your stereotypical nutcase. One of the interesting aspects of the manga was that even though Raito's/Light's aspirations were that of every other villian (ex: molding the world to fit his ideals and become it's leader/god/overlord) he went about it rational and logical ways while staying relatively composed (making him a bit unpredictable, thus an interesting character to observe).
The first episode just makes me worry that the emphasis won't be put on the battle of wits between Raito/Light and L but rather on wowing the fans with the how dark and atmospheric the anime can be.

To be honest I didn't notice any difference between Light's (not Raito) personality in the manga and his personality in the anime. Really, I think people are getting the impression that he's more sinister in this anime, because his speeches are accompanied by scary music in this anime...Otherwise, no difference. He's still just a self-justified psychopath in both mediums.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 57