• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you display your art boxes/box sets?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
I see pictures in the Shelf Life articles of people who face their box sets so that the open end of the box (which displays the spines of the individual disc cases) faces out as opposed to the spine of the box (which actually has the pretty artwork one would be paying for when buying the box). I know in some sets, the individual disc case spines actually form a picture when lined up together, but more often than not, they're just plain old spine labels. Doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of owning the art box if you're going to display it this way?

Anyway, I display mine box/picture side out on my shelves. I feel like showing the spine labels would be weird (aside from not nearly as aesthetically pleasing).

edited for clarification Very Happy

Last edited by Sohma_Curse on Sat May 03, 2014 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
I display mine box-art side out, but I used to display them case-spine side out for some reason.

These days I'm starting to replace my old huge artboxes with blurays if they are available. Shelf space has become more important to me it seems.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
At least it's better than the VHS days.

*Dramatic music*
Space.. The final frontier

These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise
Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds
To seek out new life and new civilizations
And boldly take up more shelf space than any man has had before!
*Jump to Warp*
*Opening theme*

I "display" my artboxes pretty side out. I say "display" since most are in a DVD tower that faces the side of the desk my TV's on, right in the corner of the room that's blocked off by opening the closet door all the way(it's just small enough it doesn't actually hit). My NISA sets are in a double-depth bookcase I bought at Goodwill, as are most of the manga my uncle "lent" me(unfortunately, he's unable to keep them at the moment, so it's probably going to be a very long-term loan).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to be able to display my art boxes/box sets with picture side out, but sadly I just don't have the room. Even with displaying just the spines, I'm so pressed for space that a chunk of my anime are in boxes or stacked on the floor.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I wish I had enough room to display my box sets with the pretty side out, but sadly I don't. I am really pressed for space and keep moving my other dvds whenever I add something new to my growing collection.

Whenever I see pictures of people's collections where they display their NISA box sets in that way, I always get slightly jealous because that's how I would display mine if I had enough room.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Spines facing out here. Don't have room for any other way.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'd love to be able to display my art boxes/box sets with picture side out, but sadly I just don't have the room. Even with displaying just the spines, I'm so pressed for space that a chunk of my anime are in boxes or stacked on the floor.

He's asking about whether you face it so you're seeing the DVD cases, or whether you're seeing the box spine. Alternatively I guess it could also add displaying them side to as a choice.

But as the question was posed, either side takes up the same amount of space, so I go with box spine out, except for the Dragon Ball and Dragon Box sets, because in those instances the disc spine side actually forms a picture when you place them all together.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
@ Sailor S - ahhh, I totally misunderstood. In that case, I generally display my sets so that the spine of the box is showing as opposed to the spines of the DVD cases.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I display mine with the box spine facing out. I'm doing pretty good on space since I only buy a few series a year because I haven't seen many shows lately that I want to own.
Akaname

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I look at every artbox as having four sides: a front, back, spine, and open end, the front normally being the side with the spine on the left and the open end on the right. To me, the only ways to display them(depending on available space) would be spine side(of the artbox) or front side(displaying the artwork) out. Displaying an artbox with the open end out(showing the individual dvd spines) seems to defeat the entire purpose of having an artbox.

Unless you're that insecure about your collection, and you feel the need to prove that yes, you really do own all 6 volumes of whateverseriesyoupaidwaytoomuchfor.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
well, almost all my DVDs are in cardboard uhaul boxes
most of my figure collection is, as well. I only display a few at a time now.
I have a little close-able cabinet next to the computer area which I keep most of the blu-rays and new purchases inside. I put all my blu-rays on a home NAS server so this case is mostly just for viewing the pretty boxes.

pretty boxes like baka and test or robotics notes I want to display
but ugly boxes like nisemonogatari and oniai are eww

amagee

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
I almost always display the art boxes with the box spine facing out. Some, however, like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star, I actually display on one side since their best side is out that way. Others, like Durarara!!, I just set up as usual since the lunchbox is just too wide to display well.

Also as a person who gets box sets and the like autographed, if any of them are autographed, I keep a certain amount of open space in between the items to help ensure that the signature doesn't get smugged, wiped off, etc.

My experience with museum conservation has also encouraged me to wear gloves while I handle the more precious items in my collection. My friends think I'm insane but it makes me feel better. With some 30+ year old stuff hanging around, it seems reasonable to me. Smile
murph76

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
I display most of mine with the artbox spine facing out. However, two series (Tenchi Muyo GXP and Rahxephon) have DVD spines that create one larger image, so that's the side I display.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I display mine with the art facing outward and the spines of the DVDs facing the back of the shelf. If they are wrap-around artboxes, such as for Eureka Seven and the first artbox for Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, I display whichever side has the best artwork.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Most with the artbox spine facing out and a few with the side art being displayed. I also rotate every few months the spine and side art, so as not to get bored by the look of the shelves. I don't think I have ever had any with the DVD/BD side facing out. The box art would have to be off-putting or really ugly for me to do that and when I don't like the box art then I don't tend to buy that particular art box.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2