• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hideo Kojima Talks Game Design in Interview

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Metal Gear Solid V will not have an "easy" mode, and Kojima speculates that this might turn off more casual gamers. "Well, they don't have to buy it then."

haha, what a beast. it may be a liberal translation, but kojima's awesome. glad to hear he seems to be so enthusiastic about the new metal gear solid; it felt like maybe he was losing his steam a few games back.
60Hz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Last outings have been somewhat disappointing from a gameplay perspective, great visuals though... i feel this will be even more of what i didn't like about 3 and 4 (especially 4!), too much trail and error and not enough skill based gameplay... suffice to say I won't be picking this one up anytime soon.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Peace Walker had no difficulties. It was just easy, tedious, and crap the whole way through.

Now as much as I'm somewhat interested in 5, I don't actually expect the game to have amazing ai, so it will probably already be easy. I just hope it dosen't follow anything PW did and drag out it self with soldier grinding. That would make this game pretty crappy, like PW.

The series in general has been pretty terrible since MGS3. I hope 5 is a return, but I kind of doubt it will be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Peace Walker had no difficulties. It was just easy, tedious, and crap the whole way through.

Now as much as I'm somewhat interested in 5, I don't actually expect the game to have amazing ai, so it will probably already be easy. I just hope it dosen't follow anything PW did and drag out it self with soldier grinding. That would make this game pretty crappy, like PW.

The series in general has been pretty terrible since MGS3. I hope 5 is a return, but I kind of doubt it will be.
Yes, please, tell us more about how easy Peace Walker was when it's almost universally agreed upon that it was one of the more difficult entries.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Freedom!

Well, at least it won't be linear where you're there just to follow the story.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Keiichi-chan wrote:
it may be a liberal translation

Nope, that's what he said!
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Yes, please, tell us more about how easy Peace Walker was when it's almost universally agreed upon that it was one of the more difficult entries.
Agreed by who? People who don't actually know how to play the game?

The game isn't hard at all. You're confusing tedium with difficulty . The game is extremely tedious.

The regular stealth missions are so pathetically easy it's not even funny. Since the levels are so small you can easily go into a corner and just tranq guards. Or just basically run up to guards and cqc them, maybe cqc chain them. It dosen't matter the ai is so stupid. In the HD version this becomes even easier as you can actually aim well, so really just go into a corner and shoot people.

If you thought these parts(which make up what 90% of the game's missions) were hard, then I'm not sure how you've gotten through any MGS game. I'm not sure how PW would be agreed to be the hardest in the series when it's actual stealth parts are so easy. Play MG2 for a hard game.

Were the tedium comes and the supposed difficulty comes in is the boss battles. Passing over the fact that the bosses suck because they lack personality, they also suck because they are not balanced at all. They take for ever to take down. They aren't hard to fight, but they take forever and so it's easier to fail. So battles just become shoot, wait for supplies, shoot, wait, and repeat.

You can overcome this by just leveling up your weapons which means you have to do all those missions over and over and over. It becomes a huge grind where you play pathetically easy and boring missions to recruit soldiers for your research.

Or just play co-op which is what the bosses are balanced for and watch them go down so fast.

So no, the game is not hard. It's just extremely un-fun for a single player person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Samo2222

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Good. Nowadays we have players who change their difficulty to easy and complain about incompetent AI.

I'm sure players will be completely disgusted by the lack of an easy mode and will boycott the entire series because the new MGS games for console are way too difficult for anyone.

They do this all the time with games. I would just think of normal difficulty as easy then go up from there. They're called games for a reason. They're supposed to be a fun challenge. Sadly, most developers nowadays completely forget this.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah we should praise Kojina for taking away options that some people like because some made up group that you can easily ignore annoys you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1